Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 08:00 PM

292 posts, read 543,723 times

Advertisements

Cigarettes contain nearly 4,000 different man made chemicals and additives! [SIZE=2]

*43 of which are known as cancer-causing (carcinogenic) compounds and 400 other toxins. These include nicotine, tar, and carbon monoxide, as well as formaldehyde, ammonia, hydrogen cyanide, arsenic, and DDT. [/SIZE]

A few more...
[SIZE=2]Ammonia: Household cleaner
Angelica root extract: Known to cause cancer in animals
Arsenic: Used in rat poisons
Benzene: Used in making dyes, synthetic rubber
Butane: Gas; used in lighter fluid
Carbon monoxide: Poisonous gas
Cadmium: Used in batteries
Cyanide: Deadly poison
DDT: A banned insecticide
Ethyl Furoate: Causes liver damage in animals
Lead: Poisonous in high doses
Formaldehiyde: Used to preserve dead specimens
Methoprene: Insecticide
Megastigmatrienone: Chemical naturally found in grapefruit juice
Maltitol: Sweetener for diabetics
Napthalene: Ingredient in mothballs
Methyl isocyanate: Its accidental release killed 2000 people in Bhopal, India in 1984
Polonium: Cancer-causing radioactive element[/SIZE]

The C.D.C. also reports that American cigarettes contain higher levels of cancer chemicals than foreign cigarettes do. Why is this?!

After researching about cigarettes and the dangers they cause, I cannot believe at how dangerous they are! WTF?! Every time you suck in a cigarette, you take off 5 seconds of your life. And every suck you take from a cigarette, you put ALL of these deadly chemicals into your body, which is slowly killing after every breath you take from smoking and when you release the smoke, of which the visible smoke you see coming out of a person's mouth and nose, that's only 5-8% of all the smoke that comes from smoking, the remaining 92-95% stays in your body. And when you release the smoke, other people around you get exposed to that and you are endangering their health and maybe slowly damaging and killing their bodies.

I now regret all of those years of my childhood when I was at my Grandparent's house everyday after school. My Grandma was a heavy smoker and she used to smoke in the living room and I would sit there too, unaware about the dangers of it. While she smoke, the living room would get filled with smoke and I would breath that in. She smoked about half a pack to one pack of cigarettes a day and now my body has probably been damaged by all that secondhand smoke.

I can't believe that something like this is even legal, they're practically poison death sticks, for all I know.

Old 07-04-2010, 08:02 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Why does Obama smoke, but wants to tax the hell out of just about everyone that does?

Old 07-04-2010, 08:05 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
For teh same reson as alcohol and other thigns that are not good for you. heck;even alot of foods fit.

Old 07-04-2010, 08:06 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,550,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flguy1192 View Post
Cigarettes contain nearly 4,000 different man made chemicals and additives! [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]*43 of which are known as cancer-causing (carcinogenic) compounds and 400 other toxins. These include nicotine, tar, and carbon monoxide, as well as formaldehyde, ammonia, hydrogen cyanide, arsenic, and DDT. [/SIZE]

A few more...
[SIZE=2]Ammonia: Household cleaner[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] Angelica root extract: Known to cause cancer in animals[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] Arsenic: Used in rat poisons[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] Benzene: Used in making dyes, synthetic rubber[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] Butane: Gas; used in lighter fluid[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] Carbon monoxide: Poisonous gas[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] Cadmium: Used in batteries[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] Cyanide: Deadly poison[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] DDT: A banned insecticide[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] Ethyl Furoate: Causes liver damage in animals[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] Lead: Poisonous in high doses[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] Formaldehiyde: Used to preserve dead specimens[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] Methoprene: Insecticide[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] Megastigmatrienone: Chemical naturally found in grapefruit juice[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] Maltitol: Sweetener for diabetics[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] Napthalene: Ingredient in mothballs[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] Methyl isocyanate: Its accidental release killed 2000 people in Bhopal, India in 1984[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] Polonium: Cancer-causing radioactive element[/SIZE]

The C.D.C. also reports that American cigarettes contain higher levels of cancer chemicals than foreign cigarettes do. Why is this?!

After researching about cigarettes and the dangers they cause, I cannot believe at how dangerous they are! WTF?! Every time you suck in a cigarette, you take off 5 seconds of your life. And every suck you take from a cigarette, you put ALL of these deadly chemicals into your body, which is slowly killing after every breath you take from smoking and when you release the smoke, of which the visible smoke you see coming out of a person's mouth and nose, that's only 5-8% of all the smoke that comes from smoking, the remaining 92-95% stays in your body. And when you release the smoke, other people around you get exposed to that and you are endangering their health and maybe slowly damaging and killing their bodies.

I can't believe that something like this is even legal, they're practically poison death sticks, for all I know.

What people smoke it is a personal choice. Today people are warned about it and if they want to smoke, are you saying you want to be their nanny and tell them they can't do so? I do not. H.L. Menchen wrote:
"The urge to save humanity is almost always a front for the urge to rule it".
Let people live their lives as far as I am concerned, take care.

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flguy1192 View Post

I can't believe that something like this is even legal, they're practically poison death sticks, for all I know.[/font]
So, why do so many folks who smoke live waaaaaayyyyy into old age, and not suffer any significant health issues?

I have an uncle who smokes 2+ packs a day, and is 88. I know plenty of other examples too.

I'm not challenging that smoking is generally the cause of many significant health problems, but why do so many manage to not be significantly impacted?

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Because we don't need to criminalize every single thing that's not good for us. Like "trans fats", for instance.

Old 07-04-2010, 08:07 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,237,720 times
Why are people allowed to eat meat or fried foods?

Old 07-04-2010, 08:08 PM

571 posts, read 943,206 times
Yeah, and how is it the government's business if I decide to wreck my health? That's my problem. They're not Parents 2.0. I should be allowed to do whatever I want as long as I'm not harming another person.

"But you're harming yourself!!"

Well, okay, but I'm consenting to be harmed. Therefore, it's my prerogative because I have a right to free speech/actions.

Old 07-04-2010, 08:10 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,237,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UntamedOhioan View Post
Yeah, and how is it the government's business if I decide to wreck my health? That's my problem. They're not Parents 2.0.
The Nanny state is because of liberals though. They think they know what's best for you.

Old 07-04-2010, 08:11 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
Why are people allowed to eat meat or fried foods?
Why are people allowed to have children out of wedlock?
Why are people allowed to have sex without condoms?
Why are people allowed to drive pollution causing cars around for every lazy reason imaginable?
Why are people allowed to drop out of High School?
Why are people allowed to not shower for days?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies