Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 06:51 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,852,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
As I said, tobacco users are addicts and have to have a fix to keep the pain away. They will continue to buy cigarettes at $50.00 a pack, which would put them in line with the price of other drugs.

Politicians know this and use it to their advantage. If they taxed soft drinks, which are not addictive, people would make kool-aid or drink water. Not so with products containing nicotine..
Great post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 06:56 PM

18,382 posts, read 19,018,265 times
Quote:
As I said, tobacco users are addicts and have to have a fix to keep the pain away. They will continue to buy cigarettes at $50.00 a pack, which would put them in line with the price of other drugs.

Politicians know this and use it to their advantage. If they taxed soft drinks, which are not addictive, people would make kool-aid or drink water. Not so with products containing nicotine..

another excellent post. the only patsy in this game is the smoker.
the tobacco companies doesn't care , they are making billions of their product and the smoker they addict. the government doesn't care it gets billions in taxes.
both parties know the smoker has to have their fix, they will up the tax and the cost of their product at every chance.
I think you should smoke if you want. the tobacco companies have been around for hundreds of years. we will not get rid of them any time soon. they are responsible for some state and counties economies and jobs.
no smoker knows how truly addicted they are until they try to a serious attempt to a quit. most smokers get real mad at the tobacco companies when they realize just how much control these companies have over their inability to go through the day without a fix.
the government doesn't care about a smokers. the tobacco companies don't care about smokers and non smokers don't care either.
the only people bitching about the cost are the ones addicted they keep buying.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:47 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,392,840 times
Quote:

And I would argue that politicians get away with it not so much because smokers are hooked but because anti tobacco people let them, anti tobacco will let others get extorted but one day they will be next.

It only takes a propaganda campaign to make your freedom you once loved and you into the dreg of society.

If you recall, the propaganda of the 90's made the tobacco companies as corrupt, feeding off smokers to profit. But what are all you who support heavy taxes on tobacco doing now? The same thing, feeding off tobacco to cover your budget for government that was mishandled by politicians yet those same politicians get applauded by you for taxing the cigarettes , and the same mishandling by the same politicians continues.

You all called big tobacco a leech?, you all are also.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
And I would argue that politicians get away with it not so much because smokers are hooked but because anti tobacco people let them, anti tobacco will let others get extorted but one day they will be next.

It only takes a propaganda campaign to make your freedom you once loved and you into the dreg of society.

If you recall, the propaganda of the 90's made the tobacco companies as corrupt, feeding off smokers to profit. But what are all you who support heavy taxes on tobacco doing now? The same thing, feeding off tobacco to cover your budget for government that was mishandled by politicians yet those same politicians get applauded by you for taxing the cigarettes , and the same mishandling by the same politicians continues.

You all called big tobacco a leech?, you all are also.
I don't really care if they tax the hell out of it I just want to see it banned, if taxing the hell out of it is a way to ban it so be it but I didn't ask for it, I'm just not arguing against it.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:22 PM

490 posts, read 1,788,342 times
Benefits of Tobacco:

Tobacco/Cigarettes help move money around the economy. First the farmers that grow tobacco, then the corporation that process it into cigarettes makes a ton of money (have you visited Phillip Morris? I have), then the government by means of taxes, then the dentist (trying to whiten those teeth and dealing with the gum disease produced by nicotine), then the pharmaceutical industry because, oh boy, smokers need all of this medicine. Scientists get grants to try and find the cure for lung cancer (some of them from PM), doctors and hospitals make a cut trying to cure the sick. And finally, the funeral home when the person dies earlier than it should and needs a ton of extra make-up to look good in that coffin.

Tobacco is soooo good...14.50 you said? That is nothing...really...is nothing. Please help the economy and smoke...

Old 07-05-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
I don't really care if they tax the hell out of it I just want to see it banned, if taxing the hell out of it is a way to ban it so be it but I didn't ask for it, I'm just not arguing against it.

If you get your way for a ban, you are prepared for the war on tobacco like we have on drugs, terrorism and every other declared "war on"? You are prepared for the increased trafficing, smuggling, your wages taxed to fight it, increased crime, and increased hooded cops with machine pistols serving a warrant...right?

Just how far are you all ready to go with limiting freedom and having a police state to create perfect order? Your attempt to ban cigarettes and save your life from second hand smoke may mean a early departure when you get caught in a cross fire between black marketeers and hooded cops.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambarstone View Post
Benefits of Tobacco:

Tobacco/Cigarettes help move money around the economy. First the farmers that grow tobacco, then the corporation that process it into cigarettes makes a ton of money (have you visited Phillip Morris? I have), then the government by means of taxes, then the dentist (trying to whiten those teeth and dealing with the gum disease produced by nicotine), then the pharmaceutical industry because, oh boy, smokers need all of this medicine. Scientists get grants to try and find the cure for lung cancer (some of them from PM), doctors and hospitals make a cut trying to cure the sick. And finally, the funeral home when the person dies earlier than it should and needs a ton of extra make-up to look good in that coffin.

Tobacco is soooo good...14.50 you said? That is nothing...really...is nothing. Please help the economy and smoke...
So I guess the real question is what is more important to you, human lives or money? You really don't need to answer that directly because you already have with your post.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
If you get your way for a ban, you are prepared for the war on tobacco like we have on drugs, terrorism and every other declared "war on"? You are prepared for the increased trafficing, smuggling, your wages taxed to fight it, increased crime, and increased hooded cops with machine pistols serving a warrant...right?

Just how far are you all ready to go with limiting freedom and having a police state to create perfect order? Your attempt to ban cigarettes and save your life from second hand smoke may mean a early departure when you get caught in a cross fire between black marketeers and hooded cops.
The bold: I'll take that risk.

Everything else: Well I believe we should make cigarettes illegal and all other drugs legal, so even though the war on drugs would not be completely gone, a large chunk would be cut out of it. I like the image you are trying to create there, hooded cops with machine pistols, police states, hope you never have to call the police. lol

Old 07-05-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
The bold: I'll take that risk.

Everything else: Well I believe we should make cigarettes illegal and all other drugs legal, so even though the war on drugs would not be completely gone, a large chunk would be cut out of it. I like the image you are trying to create there, hooded cops with machine pistols, police states, hope you never have to call the police. lol

The image is very real and have been in the situation standing 50 yds away from a bar being raided by cops with covered faces and as I went to leave after them seeing me stand there for 5 minutes they then rushed me with guns in my face and accused me of attempting flee.

Of course one day when a guy is served in the night with a no knock warrant and the cops shoot his dog I guess he shouldn't have had a pack of Marlboro in the house right?

And those cops are funded by your taxes, **** been going on for 40 years with no end in sight to the war on......

Old 07-05-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
The image is very real and have been in the situation standing 50 yds away from a bar being raided by cops with covered faces and as I went to leave after them seeing me stand there for 5 minutes they then rushed me with guns in my face and accused me of attempting flee.

Of course one day when a guy is served in the night with a no knock warrant and the cops shoot his dog I guess he shouldn't have had a pack of Marlboro in the house right?

And those cops are funded by your taxes, **** been going on for 40 years with no end in sight to the war on......
Ok so there are some rouge cops out there (those who shoot dogs, which I don't agree with at all.), your point is? If you are saying all law enforcement should be nice and "Please" and "Thank you" like, your living in the wrong country. "May I please raid your building because I think there may be illegals in here, I promise to try not to make to much noise, and I will try and seem as none threatening as possible." LOL Welcome to reality bub.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies