Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 02:15 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,784,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
Thomas Jefferson
"I am a real Christian, that is to say, a disciple of the doctrines of Jesus." [Letter to Benjamin Rush April 21, 1803]Everything about it is 100% Christian.

While you say that "Laws of Nature and of Nature's God" there is almost nothing Christian about it.

I will go with his proclamation of Christianity. I also know that even way back then, the Founding Fathers were politicians and at times had to be careful in how certain things had to be stated so, knowing the full context would help.

You do realize two other people wrote the DoI with Jefferson, chiefly, John Adams. Three words to you: AGE OF ENLIGHTENMENT. google it, read up on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 02:15 PM

4,458 posts, read 4,191,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
huh? I don't speak heartlandian.
You backed up from your statement that the Republicans were solely responsible. A crawdad or crawfish swims backwards thus, crawdadin.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
You do realize two other people wrote the DoI with Jefferson, chiefly, John Adams. Three words to you: AGE OF ENLIGHTENMENT. google it, read up on it.
John Adams:

“ The general principles upon which the Fathers achieved independence were the general principals of Christianity… I will avow that I believed and now believe that those general principles of Christianity are as eternal and immutable as the existence and attributes of God.”

• “[July 4th] ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty.”
–John Adams in a letter written to Abigail on the day the Declaration was approved by Congress

"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge, or gallantry, would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." --October 11, 1798

"I have examined all religions, as well as my narrow sphere, my straightened means, and my busy life, would allow; and the result is that the Bible is the best Book in the world. It contains more philosophy than all the libraries I have seen." December 25, 1813 letter to Thomas Jefferson

Old 07-05-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
United States Congress
Congress and Religion....
Did our Founding Fathers practice separation of church and state in the Congress?
Click here to read what the 2002 Congress said about our country and religion.
Click here to read what the Library of Congress has officially determined as to the
faith of our Founding Fathers and their desire to implement Christianity in government!

To revisit this argument:

You probably hate the fact that Congress just passed a law making healthcare insurance mandatory on a national level---stating/questioning its Constitutionality

however

You are perfectly okay with Congress ESTABLISHING the God of Abraham as a national "standard." Which of course IS unconstitutional-via the first amendment.

I'm just curious as to how you might rectify that choice.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
You backed up from your statement that the Republicans were solely responsible. A crawdad or crawfish swims backwards thus, crawdadin.

...okay...we don't have that species up in New England, and if we do, we leave them alone.

Your point?

Old 07-05-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
John Adams:

“ The general principles upon which the Fathers achieved independence were the general principals of Christianity… I will avow that I believed and now believe that those general principles of Christianity are as eternal and immutable as the existence and attributes of God.â€

• “[July 4th] ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty.â€
–John Adams in a letter written to Abigail on the day the Declaration was approved by Congress

"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge, or gallantry, would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." --October 11, 1798

"I have examined all religions, as well as my narrow sphere, my straightened means, and my busy life, would allow; and the result is that the Bible is the best Book in the world. It contains more philosophy than all the libraries I have seen." December 25, 1813 letter to Thomas Jefferson

AGE OF ENLIGHTENMENT

It's not like Christianity/Religion/Faith was tossed out the window in that time.

But you need to learn what the point of the era was.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
...okay...we don't have that species up in New England, and if we do, we leave them alone.

Your point?
Read the post that you just replied to.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:25 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
This all their personal beliefs....THEY ARE NOT THE LAWS OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.
I guess you failed to see that the quote of this thread was from the Declaration of Independence which couldn't be part of the law of the United States since there was no such a thing then. Nobody said any of this was the law of the US other than some of you of the left leaning bent.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:28 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Common sense dictates that if you live in a country without the distinction, you are in a theocracy. Are we a theocracy? Why are some so insecure in their personal and private religious beliefs that this argument has to be rehashed every three day? I am going to proliferate the story that Thomas Jefferson was Bar Mitzvahed.
Of course you just lied and we all know that.

Who wanted to argue about religion? I merely thought today was a good day to say something about the Declaration of Independence and knew what you people would reply with. I guess you would call that trolling, wouldn't you.

You guys are so easy and it is funny.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I guess you failed to see that the quote of this thread was from the Declaration of Independence which couldn't be part of the law of the United States since there was no such a thing then. Nobody said any of this was the law of the US other than some of you of the left leaning bent.

Quote:
"Laws of Nature and of Nature's God"

This is strictly a deist point of view. There is almost nothing Christian about it. It is literally saying God is attributed to nature and nature alone. Not to an eternallly begotten celestial figure we might associate with God the Father/God of Abraham.

And as such, those undeniable rights come from nature [nature's God] but they are as divine as nature is divine.

Our nation was founded [and as such is a product] of the Age of Enlightenment. Knowing the historical context of our existence is reason enough to understand the intentions of our Founding Fathers.
Above is my answer. But I guess you failed to read it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies