Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2010, 03:05 PM

23,854 posts, read 24,091,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The difference is, however, cigarettes serve no nutritional purpose (or any purpose, period)
Actually, tobacco/nicotine does have therapeutic uses. Google it if you like.

Your comment is demonstrative of just how effective the anti-smoking PR campaign has been. It has been demonized so thoroughly, you've been convinced that the plant is nothing short of pure evil. You even said that it has "no purpose, period." Tell that to the tobacco beetle!

Second hand smoke is no more dangerous than many, many other things you inhale every day without giving a second thought to. "The difference is, however," you think it's icky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 03:13 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Actually, tobacco/nicotine does have therapeutic uses. Google it if you like.

Your comment is demonstrative of just how effective the anti-smoking PR campaign has been. It has been demonized so thoroughly, you've been convinced that the plant is nothing short of pure evil. You even said that it has "no purpose, period." Tell that to the tobacco beetle!

Second hand smoke is no more dangerous than many, many other things you inhale every day without giving a second thought to. "The difference is, however," you think it's icky.
I do think it's icky. I think addiction is more icky though and I feel sorry for smokers who are a slave to it, which is a good enough reason not to make it easy or encourage it.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
They figure they can place the value on everything. The one thing that they don't believe has any value is freedom.
Quote of the day.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I do think it's icky. I think addiction is more icky though and I feel sorry for smokers who are a slave to it, which is a good enough reason not to make it easy or encourage it.
Well gosh, thanks for your concern, but "keep your laws off my body!"

Old 07-06-2010, 03:18 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Well gosh, thanks for your concern, but "keep your laws off my body!"
They aren't ON your body. Cig's are legal, just not appropriate or welcome everywhere. Is that really hard to grasp?

Old 07-06-2010, 03:36 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,547,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
He can smoke outside, as long as his second hand smoke does not affect anyone else. That's the bottom line - if the noxious smoke from your cigarette drifts into someone else's airspace, sorry, you have to put it out.

It is your choice to gamble with your health. You are not allowed to impose that choice on me.
Really? Link me to that law please.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:37 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,335,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
They aren't ON your body. Cig's are legal, just not appropriate or welcome everywhere. Is that really hard to grasp?
For some posters in this thread, yes.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:41 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,335,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Really? Link me to that law please.
Badly, stated, I'm afraid. Laws have been passed (in FL a constitutional amendment) to protect non-smokers from the noxious fumes of cigarettes. So, in all places that are important to me, my interpretation of the law is applicable. "Smoke free" is the name of the game in all public places in Florida - and many other states/places.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:08 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Are you saying that ONLY smokers suffer COPD? Guess what ... this is a relatively new disease ... smoking tobacco has been going on since before the United States even existed.

This is the problem with trying to promote irrationality. You're arguments get more irrational as time and again you grasp at the next straw man.

You can make anything make sense if you lie and don't know what you're talking about. Relatively new disease? Are you serious?
And there are some people with COPD who didn't smoke...but in the over 25,000 patients I have seen, I can count those people on one hand.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:18 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You can make anything make sense if you lie and don't know what you're talking about. Relatively new disease? Are you serious?
And there are some people with COPD who didn't smoke...but in the over 25,000 patients I have seen, I can count those people on one hand.
What about the other potential causes?

Asbestos, industrial chemicals, pollen, pet dander...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies