U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Should creationism be taught in public schools?
Yes 71 19.09%
No 295 79.30%
I don't know/No opinion 6 1.61%
Voters: 372. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-28-2010, 05:29 PM
 
7,902 posts, read 5,266,812 times
Reputation: 3124
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Ignoring that humans actually do use 100% of their brains already, I think I've heard that question asked in relation to aliens.

How would we tell a suitably technically advanced alien apart from god?
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
Arthur C. Clarke

 
Old 07-28-2010, 05:32 PM
 
372 posts, read 42,998 times
Reputation: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs1987 View Post
Schools need to teach students about creationism. Even if it is not taught in science class, it absolutely needs to be taught in schools. How will students be literate enough to deal with the arguments of creationists if they dont know anything about creationism and what it teaches? In my religious high school, we learn about both. It is irresponsible to not teach them about creationism given how important an issue it is not only in this country but also in the developing world. Many Islamic nations and also African nations have large segments that believe in creationism. To be ignorant of the other sides viewpoints makes it more likely that you will be converted into their viewpoint. It also creates a backlash. Some, perhaps many, may find that they like the creationist message and resent the suppression of it. Ignoring and suppressing it is not the best way to eradicate the viewpoint. Let's face it, evolutionists want creationism in general to be outlawed by force of law and eradicated as soon as possible. They didnt even want the creationists to be allowed to have their own museum. Scientists wanted the govt to shutdown the creationist museum. There is no "tolerance" for the creationist point of view. Even though science is meant to encourage different viewpoints, it rarely is like that. Scientists were the people that were the most vehemently against plate tectonics of Wegener and the most hostile to Galileo.
It doesn't "need" to be taught in school, and absolutely doesnt need to "absolutely needs" to be taught.

It is a fabricated myth created by believers in mythology to explain their believe in an afterlife because they are too gutless to face mortality.

Get over it, and when your time comes, take it like a man.
 
Old 07-28-2010, 05:34 PM
 
372 posts, read 42,998 times
Reputation: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
Arthur C. Clarke
you forgot to insert "by rubes" between, "indestinguishable' and "from".
 
Old 07-28-2010, 05:34 PM
 
Location: The Heartland
4,381 posts, read 2,170,402 times
Reputation: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by navyapproved View Post
It doesn't "need" to be taught in school, and absolutely doesnt need to "absolutely needs" to be taught.

It is a fabricated myth created by believers in mythology to explain their believe in an afterlife because they are too gutless to face mortality.

Get over it, and when your time comes, take it like a man.
Again, in your opinion. You are not the ultimate authority so stop acting like you are.
 
Old 07-28-2010, 05:34 PM
 
Location: Up in the air
19,127 posts, read 14,230,706 times
Reputation: 15734
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs1987 View Post
Schools need to teach students about creationism. Even if it is not taught in science class, it absolutely needs to be taught in schools. How will students be literate enough to deal with the arguments of creationists if they dont know anything about creationism and what it teaches? In my religious high school, we learn about both. It is irresponsible to not teach them about creationism given how important an issue it is not only in this country but also in the developing world. Many Islamic nations and also African nations have large segments that believe in creationism. To be ignorant of the other sides viewpoints makes it more likely that you will be converted into their viewpoint. It also creates a backlash. Some, perhaps many, may find that they like the creationist message and resent the suppression of it. Ignoring and suppressing it is not the best way to eradicate the viewpoint. Let's face it, evolutionists want creationism in general to be outlawed by force of law and eradicated as soon as possible. They didnt even want the creationists to be allowed to have their own museum. Scientists wanted the govt to shutdown the creationist museum. There is no "tolerance" for the creationist point of view. Even though science is meant to encourage different viewpoints, it rarely is like that. Scientists were the people that were the most vehemently against plate tectonics of Wegener and the most hostile to Galileo.
Technically, I suppose I was 'taught' Creationism in my Physical Anthropology class in college....but we were taught how ridiculous it is and how unscientific it is. I guess I'd be perfectly okay if Creationism were taught in that way

Like I mentioned earlier, we had two Creationist deconversions in a short 8 week semester.
 
Old 07-28-2010, 05:36 PM
 
7,902 posts, read 5,266,812 times
Reputation: 3124
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs1987 View Post
Schools need to teach students about creationism. Even if it is not taught in science class, it absolutely needs to be taught in schools. How will students be literate enough to deal with the arguments of creationists if they dont know anything about creationism and what it teaches?
I'm pretty sure that addressing that issue get a low priority in school budgets.

For a reason.

There is no reason to teach it in school, and it is unconstitutional to teach it in PUBLIC SCHOOL. Why do you not grasp this?

Quote:
In my religious high school, we learn about both.
I highlighted an important word. See?


Quote:
It is irresponsible to not teach them about creationism given how important an issue it is not only in this country but also in the developing world.

No, it really isn't.

Quote:
Many Islamic nations and also African nations have large segments that believe in creationism. To be ignorant of the other sides viewpoints makes it more likely that you will be converted into their viewpoint. It also creates a backlash. Some, perhaps many, may find that they like the creationist message and resent the suppression of it.
Then teach in in ANTHROPOLOGY CLASS along with the myths of other cultures. And really, what exactly do you think they are going to "teach"about Creationism? Got any lab experiments in mind for the kids?

[quoite]Ignoring and suppressing it is not the best way to eradicate the viewpoint.[/quote]

Well then it's a damn good thing that isn't happening!

Quote:
Let's face it, evolutionists want creationism in general to be outlawed by force of law and eradicated as soon as possible.
LOL You really were educated in a religious school. Whoo!

Quote:
They didnt even want the creationists to be allowed to have their own museum.

Whoa, now that is pure fantasy. Every scientist I know LOVES the creation museum. IT'S EFFIN HILARIOUS. They have a caveman riding a dinosaur! Seriously!

Quote:
Scientists wanted the govt to shutdown the creationist museum. There is no "tolerance" for the creationist point of view.
Should there be tolerance for lies and stupidity? Oh and your conspiracy theory is total nonsense and never happened.

Quote:
Even though science is meant to encourage different viewpoints, it rarely is like that. Scientists were the people that were the most vehemently against plate tectonics of Wegener and the most hostile to Galileo.
Different viewpoints that are testable and have evidence to support them. Hello!
 
Old 07-28-2010, 05:39 PM
 
7,902 posts, read 5,266,812 times
Reputation: 3124
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Like I mentioned earlier, we had two Creationist deconversions in a short 8 week semester.
I'm curious, what finally got them to wake up?
 
Old 07-28-2010, 05:42 PM
 
Location: The Heartland
4,381 posts, read 2,170,402 times
Reputation: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Technically, I suppose I was 'taught' Creationism in my Physical Anthropology class in college....but we were taught how ridiculous it is and how unscientific it is. I guess I'd be perfectly okay if Creationism were taught in that way

Like I mentioned earlier, we had two Creationist deconversions in a short 8 week semester.
It does not sound like it was being taught but rather lampooned.
 
Old 07-28-2010, 05:55 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
7,268 posts, read 3,016,514 times
Reputation: 2044
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
It does not sound like it was being taught but rather lampooned.
In a scientific setting, one should expect no less.
 
Old 07-28-2010, 08:55 PM
 
Location: Billings, MT
3,094 posts, read 1,868,028 times
Reputation: 1470
Quote:
Originally Posted by navyapproved View Post
He is anything you want him to be since he is fictional.
Prove it!

Give us irrefutable scientific evidence that proves the non-existence of God!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:57 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top