Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should creationism be taught in public schools?
Yes 71 19.09%
No 295 79.30%
I don't know/No opinion 6 1.61%
Voters: 372. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 06:38 PM

38,645 posts, read 26,356,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You don't have to believe in the Big Bang theory to understand that creationism is even more 'made up.'

I mean, seriously...? It's all theories and hogwash; at least evolution and the Big Bang Theory make attempts at proof...not sorry little bedtime stories created with the intent to control other people.

At least propoents of the Big Bang Theory call it a THEORY.

The Big Bang is the moment of creation.

Your argument is there is no creator to go along with the creation.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:39 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,372,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teejuris View Post
Creationism should be taught just as evolution and other scientific theories are taught. Teaching about the creationism as a concept does not violate the Constitutional separation between church and state. What are people so afraid of? Hmmm...
I'm not afraid of anything,

The fact is, there is no scientific proof of a creation event occurring.

Thats what we don't want. We don't want our children taught something, that can't be proven. The proof of creation, lies from within, and years of self study and observation.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:44 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,104,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Most people who claim to have been "atheists" but are now Christian or whatever really mean they didn't give much thought to the matter and were, at best, agnostic. Agnosticism is basically a neutral state, one we all start out in before we are influenced. There sure can be atheists who have never been influenced by religion, but it's rare. And most of the ones I've met are youngsters who haven't had much experience with anything and just like labels.

I don't know what your atheistic life experiences are, and don't care, but it was only what YOU thought. Nobody else. Not even other atheists. So you really don't know anything other than what the definition of the label means.

You don't know me and as you said, you don't care. But if you would actually read what I've written here, I've said several times that I have had various religious beliefs throughout my life. I would assume that it's obvious that when one teeters back and forth from being Christian to being something else, they're giving it some thought and weighing the facts versus their personal beliefs.

Agnosticism is not really a neutral state, it's believing that a god(s) exists but not making a statement as to what that god may be.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I think both Darwin"ism" and creationism should be "taught" in neutral terms, in science class, since they're both theories. But these righties, unfamiliar with school, seem to think "teaching" means one or the other would be pounded into kids' heads as fact from September to June, K-12. No, they'd just be presented in a neutral, unchallenging manner along with other theories, and the class would move on.

The kids can determine for themselves what makes best sense.

The subject is creationism in whatever form that might take.

The point of creation is the only issue of any relevance.

Did the material Universe emerge from nothing of its own accord, or did something help?

Old 07-11-2010, 06:52 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,310,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I think both Darwin"ism" and creationism should be "taught" in neutral terms, in science class, since they're both theories. But these righties, unfamiliar with school, seem to think "teaching" means one or the other would be pounded into kids' heads as fact from September to June, K-12. No, they'd just be presented in a neutral, unchallenging manner along with other theories, and the class would move on.

The kids can determine for themselves what makes best sense.
The scientific method and the belief method, in the same class?

The scientific method would look so slow and hard compared to the belief method.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:54 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,176,909 times
If creationism was taught in schools what would the 'instructors' use for teaching material - the Bible?

Old 07-11-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
Where'd the single cell come from?

Magic fairy land where anything can happen.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:02 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,176,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Magic fairy land where anything can happen.
"magic fairy land" is in the bible. That's where all sorts of wonders happen, all without evidence or explanation.
Its so easy to grasp too, just read and say 'this is the only truth'. What could be easier. No muss, no fuss! Even those with 5th grade reading levels can understand it all without any problems.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
Where'd the single cell come from?
Where did God come from?

Some believe, East Texas.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
If creationism was taught in schools what would the 'instructors' use for teaching material - the Bible?
Creationism should be confined to Sex-Ed class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.