Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 11:33 AM

37,097 posts, read 42,098,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
They also shouldnt prevent you from being able to just because they want to make the choice for you that they dont feel its healthy.

Lets be real here this is about them thinking they should make the choice for you. I can see if they were making the choice between say Apples and Oranges but they offer a fruit. They should offer sugar and non sugar drinks. They shouldnt be limiting someones choice because they feel they know whats best.

it is after all public property. If they want to limit choices do so in their own home
Why? As people have said, including me, they don't have to have vending machines at all.

Let me put it in SIMPLE terms. If there were no vending machines, or they never had soda there, would you be upset or care? If not, you have just proved how silly you are being. And if so, you have just prove how silly you are being. Basically that is you saying you can't do anything for yourself and need "the government" to provide things for you. Don't you hate people like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 11:33 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,032,538 times
Quote:
They also shouldnt prevent you from being able to just because they want to make the choice for you that they dont feel its healthy.

Lets be real here this is about them thinking they should make the choice for you. I can see if they were making the choice between say Apples and Oranges but they offer a fruit. They should offer sugar and non sugar drinks. They shouldnt be limiting someones choice because they feel they know whats best.

it is after all public property. If they want to limit choices do so in their own home
Yes, let's do "be real" here. Your choices are never limitless, and it's ridiculous for you to think they should be. You want soda, buy some soda and take it to work/court/whatever with you. Life is unfair. Get over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Why? As people have said, including me, they don't have to have vending machines at all.

Let me put it in SIMPLE terms. If there were no vending machines, or they never had soda there, would you be upset or care? If not, you have just proved how silly you are being. And if so, you have just prove how silly you are being. Basically that is you saying you can't do anything for yourself and need "the government" to provide things for you. Don't you hate people like that?
Exactly!

Old 07-08-2010, 11:48 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,423,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceece View Post

basically that is you saying you can't do anything for yourself and need "the government" to provide things for you. Don't you hate people like that?
lmbo!

Old 07-08-2010, 12:13 PM

3,728 posts, read 4,861,625 times
Quote:
City owned? Who pays for that? Who pays the bills for that property?
Oh, don't get me wrong. I find it stupid, but it is a lot more justifiable to ban sodas with sugar from vending machines on city owned property if the majority of taxpayers support the measure.

But like I said before, the people who pass these sorts of laws have no intention of ending it there.

Old 07-08-2010, 03:07 PM

21,481 posts, read 8,667,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
Oh, don't get me wrong. I find it stupid, but it is a lot more justifiable to ban sodas with sugar from vending machines on city owned property if the majority of taxpayers support the measure.

But like I said before, the people who pass these sorts of laws have no intention of ending it there.
Once again let me say that there is no measure; there is no law. The taxpayers of San Francisco were never consulted, and no one got to vote on it. The new city vending machine policy is an executive order from Mayor Gavin Newsom.

Old 07-08-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post

Once again let me say that there is no measure; there is no law. The taxpayers of San Francisco were never consulted, and no one got to vote on it. The new city vending machine policy is an executive order from Mayor Gavin Newsom.
Maybe if you set it to music? A catchy jingle always seems to stick with people. Just a thought.

Old 07-08-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Maybe if you set it to music? A catchy jingle always seems to stick with people. Just a thought.
OK, all together now. La, la, laaaa!

Hello, please note
That there wasn't any vote
We had no say
In the city by the Bay

It's Gavin Newsom
Whose ideas are gruesome
So lighten up folks
We're not taking your Cokes!

Old 07-08-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post

OK, all together now. La, la, laaaa!

Hello, please note
That there wasn't any vote
We had no say
In the city by the Bay

It's Gavin Newsom
Whose ideas are gruesome
So lighten up folks
We're not taking your Cokes!
That is so awesome! I'm just sorry I can't give you another rep point yet.

Old 07-08-2010, 03:56 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,675,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
It's not just liberals who do this. Social conservatives take the same approach on a number of issues. Libertarian conservatives favor freedom, but they're not the ones who dominate the Republican Party - it's social conservatives who have the power.
Libertains are bascially the states rights and good ole boy politcs of old that disppeared with the local political machines.Thyey only run as republicans so they can get elcted and like Ron Paul have very little influence.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
That is so awesome! I'm just sorry I can't give you another rep point yet.
Thanks, Jill, but I think I'd better keep my day job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies