Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 07:19 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,303,510 times

Advertisements

I really want to see if people out there truly believe our government is not pretty much running as operatives for big business, major multinational corporations, hedge fund investors, etc...

Personally I find it hard to believe we are still a legitimate constitutional republic. My entire life, I've seen nothing but the rich get richer and the powerful get even more so. While things for the working and middle classes seem to deteriorate more every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 07:48 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
You're right. Both Democrats and Republicans' are the culprits, although all too often its the Republicans who get the blame. The blame-game is a shell game intended to pit the have's against the have-nots in order to garner votes, while our legislators smile all the way to the bank via money-for-votes. It's sick.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:53 AM

968 posts, read 2,623,210 times
go to college, start a business, and eventually you can be one of the haves.

the problem that lazy poor people have, is they stay poor while the ambitious poor people arent' poor anymore.

this is not a corporatocracy, its capitalism, which means you get rewarded for hard work.

guess what? bill gates worked long and hard for his money, the only reason he's getting richer is because you're typing on a windows computer because of his idea.

and when you have a succsessful business, you can have a lobbyist go to congress and fight for tax payer money just like all other businesses.

however that is my problem with the government, the government should not support any businesses, or churches, it should create decent laws and enforce them, that is all...

yeah welfare is crap, wic is crap, SSI and SSD are crap. what ever happened to our families and communities taking care of our elderly and disabled? people have become dependent on the government for money that we are not willing to accept help from friends and family. people feel so entitled and independant that they don't give a crap about any one else well being, and that is why these programs have to stay in place, because if not people won't have their communities to fall back on.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orincarnia View Post
go to college, start a business, and eventually you can be one of the haves.

the problem that lazy poor people have, is they stay poor while the ambitious poor people arent' poor anymore.

this is not a corporatocracy, its capitalism, which means you get rewarded for hard work.

guess what? bill gates worked long and hard for his money, the only reason he's getting richer is because you're typing on a windows computer because of his idea.
I would agree with you on much of the above. Except for...

Quote:
and when you have a succsessful business, you can have a lobbyist go to congress and fight for tax payer money just like all other businesses.
Do we really need the lobbying and influence at all? That's part of the problem we got now. Thanks to all the lobbying, special interest money, backscratching... we in America have opened ourselves up for some really bad things. Like all the outsourcing to China and India, decline of the American manufacturing industry. Incredible rise of CEO pay vs. average worker pay, from 4-5x in the 1950s to 400-500x today. Stuff like Walmart begging for tax breaks when they move into a town, or instructing their employees on how to apply for government assistance plans so they don't have to pay benefits themselves.

Quote:
however that is my problem with the government, the government should not support any businesses, or churches, it should create decent laws and enforce them, that is all...
If only the government did treat all institutions fairly with the same rules, everyone had equal footing rather than having some holding exploitative power over everything else.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:46 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I have not figured out if it is the managers of the Mega corporations or the owners of the corporations that have gained control of our government for their benefit and our cost. I will agree that we are still a Republic but we are not a Democratic Republic let alone a representative government. We are a government of the rich, by the rich and of the rich. This corruption will be our downfall both economically and governmentally. This is how Democracies die.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:49 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Quote:

Give me a break! Bill Gates signed a contract with IBM at the right time and place. That was his "idea".

He never invented anything in his life.

People are still buying the same rotten operating system he first offered IBM many years ago. It can't be fixed, and takes more electricity every year to make it function marginally.

Bill Gates didn't "work hard", others did.

The major smart thing he did was to drop out of college to capitalize on his lucky, time and place event. If only he had stayed in college, the world would have been spared his rotten operating system.

Last edited by ergohead; 07-08-2010 at 08:57 AM..

Old 07-08-2010, 08:49 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,352,508 times
not me. . ..the corporatocracy has been more than evident for a long time now. . . .it got MUCH worse under Bush 2, and his supreme court appointments have continued his "work". . . ..
and yet there are still "just plain folks" out there who continue to spout the "party line" and actively work against the interests of the middle class. . . .go figure. . . .

Old 07-08-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
and yet there are still "just plain folks" out there who continue to spout the "party line" and actively work against the interests of the middle class. . . .go figure. . . .
Those who spout the line will likely be the last ones to suffer, before they too succumb to the pitfall.

The whole concept of "I got mine already, you go work for yours" only takes you so far when you're being worked at a disadvantage.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:55 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
not me. . ..the corporatocracy has been more than evident for a long time now. . . .it got MUCH worse under Bush 2, and his supreme court appointments have continued his "work". . . ..
What would happen if the Republicans and Democrats had a party, and no one came?

Old 07-08-2010, 08:58 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowerdeck View Post
I really want to see if people out there truly believe our government is not pretty much running as operatives for big business, major multinational corporations, hedge fund investors, etc...

Personally I find it hard to believe we are still a legitimate constitutional republic. My entire life, I've seen nothing but the rich get richer and the powerful get even more so. While things for the working and middle classes seem to deteriorate more every year.

the 'liberals' have turned it into a foreign corpracy fro years...the liberals have killed this fine republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowerdeck View Post
Do we really need the lobbying and influence at all? That's part of the problem we got now. Thanks to all the lobbying, special interest money, backscratching... we in America have opened ourselves up for some really bad things. Like all the outsourcing to China and India, decline of the American manufacturing industry. Incredible rise of CEO pay vs. average worker pay, from 4-5x in the 1950s to 400-500x today. Stuff like Walmart begging for tax breaks when they move into a town, or instructing their employees on how to apply for government assistance plans so they don't have to pay benefits themselves.

some lobbying is needed

unions are lobbiest
saftey issues being brought to the table...lobbiests

lobbying is advertising.....its like picking a ford or a chevy....both good...which one will lobby BETTER to get you to buy????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies