Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 07:18 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times

Advertisements

They should not. Since they cause blood clots, they are dangerous and anyone who takes them should be under a doctor's care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 07:19 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
You don't always need to go see your DR annually, many will just renew over the perscription over the phone. If you aren't having trouble there is no need to go in. Plus you can buy them on the internet.
Some docs may renew over the phone. It's not "best practice" and could get them in trouble, legally, if a pt. sued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Definitely.

Birth control pills are even sold over the counter in Mexico which is more socially conservative than the USA. There's no reason why they shouldn't be sold without a prescription in America.
Antibiotics and all kinds of drugs are sold OTC in Mexico. I'm not sure Mex. should be the standard we hold ourselves up against.

I feel more comfortable saying women should see a physician, at least for the first rx, after age 35, if she has chronic medical conditions and so on. I think women of all ages should be able to seek out gyn care w/o parent's consent.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:21 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
They should not. Since they cause blood clots, they are dangerous and anyone who takes them should be under a doctor's care.
What about people who smoke? I think there is a greater health risk from cig's don't you? Lot's of OTC stuff can hurt you but we don't try to prevent people from getting it. I think this is because it's reproductive in nature, it wiggs people out.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:21 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,439,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post

Many women in the U.S. prefer to use abortion as a form of BC instead of using the pill. A great number of those teen pregnancies end with abortion.

In addition, most women in Mexico do not believe in abortion since a vast majority are strict catholics.

You need to show the birth rate of live births of all ages in both countries to get a better sense of the bigger picture.
What on earth are you talking about? Where in the quoted text did it say anything about abortions? Teen pregnancy rates are teen pregnancy rates, whether a live birth follows or not. And as it happens, "The United States has the highest teen pregnancy rate in the industrialized world."

Maybe, just maybe, both the teen pregnancy rate and the teen abortion rate would go down if they had better access to birth control.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:24 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Some docs may renew over the phone. It's not "best practice" and could get them in trouble, legally, if a pt. sued.
So sitting in an office while they write the perscription is really necessary? Not everyone needs, or is even covered for, an exam each year but they still get the pills.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:24 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
...Antibiotics and all kinds of drugs are sold OTC in Mexico. I'm not sure Mex. should be the standard we hold ourselves up against...

...I think women of all ages should be able to seek out gyn care w/o parent's consent.

No kidding. The swine flu probably got much worse because of their practices.

I have no problem with this.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
...Not everyone needs, or is even covered for, an exam each year...
YOU FORGOT:OBAMACARE TO THE RESCUE!

Last edited by Avengerfire; 07-08-2010 at 07:54 PM..

Old 07-08-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
What on earth are you talking about? Where in the quoted text did it say anything about abortions? Teen pregnancy rates are teen pregnancy rates, whether a live birth follows or not...
Because you obviously did not read this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Great know the low cost of BC in Mexico has slowed down their REPRODUCTIVE rate so well! I bet most of the women do not know how to properly use them there. Does anyone see my point now?
Notice I did not say their pregnancy rate.

Read the entire thread.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:30 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,439,670 times
Now you're just talking in circles. I give up.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
So sitting in an office while they write the perscription is really necessary? Not everyone needs, or is even covered for, an exam each year but they still get the pills.
No, going to the office and getting an exam is the "best practice". Also taking a history. Women who smoke are at far greater risk of stroke from the pill. The doc ought to know if the pt. has started smoking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies