Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2010, 07:32 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Now you're just talking in circles. I give up.
Read the thread from the first page.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 07:33 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

No, going to the office and getting an exam is the "best practice". Also taking a history. Women who smoke are at far greater risk of stroke from the pill. The doc ought to know if the pt. has started smoking.
While I agree with you that getting an exam is the "best practice", I can tell you from personal experience, the fictional Dr. House is right; people lie. I smoked the entire time I was on oral contraceptives and most of the time I told the doctor I didn't. Even after age 35.

(FTR, I haven't been on oral contraceptives for 8 years, and quit smoking 8 years ago, as well. Go figure.)

Old 07-08-2010, 07:38 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
While I agree with you that getting an exam is the "best practice", I can tell you from personal experience, the fictional Dr. House is right; people lie. I smoked the entire time I was on oral contraceptives and most of the time I told the doctor I didn't. Even after age 35.

(FTR, I haven't been on oral contraceptives for 8 years, and quit smoking 8 years ago, as well. Go figure.)
I'm well aware that patients lie. At least if they go to the dr. they'll get the info that smoking and the pill don't mix. Then they can make a personal decision. Glad you quit smoking. So did I.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:42 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
If people think it would be ok to buy hormones OTC without seeing a doctor first than they should have no problem with people that want to change or alter their gender by getting hormones OTC. They should also have no problem with selling hormones OTC to people that want to bulk up their muscle mass.

Counter that.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:46 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,931 times
Quote:

I'm well aware that patients lie. At least if they go to the dr. they'll get the info that smoking and the pill don't mix. Then they can make a personal decision. Glad you quit smoking. So did I.
Maybe they'll get that info. See my post #35 (and forgive the length). That's why I advocate teaching it in a comprehensive sex education class that every student should be required to take. Not that I trust teachers any more than doctors to be thorough in their dissemination of pertinent information, but at least there's a chance that if they don't get it from one, they'll get it from the other.

I guess I'm lucky, though. The greatest lesson I have ever learned in my entire life was that dang-nabbed "read everything before doing anything" test that my 5th grade teacher handed out to the class, and which I humiliatingly failed (along with 98% of my classmates, as well). That's one of the reasons I always read the package inserts on all my medication.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:53 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
No, going to the office and getting an exam is the "best practice". Also taking a history. Women who smoke are at far greater risk of stroke from the pill. The doc ought to know if the pt. has started smoking.
That may be true of anyone the first time they are prescribed a drug, it's the ongoing use that can make seeing the Dr redundant.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
If people think it would be ok to buy hormones OTC without seeing a doctor first than they should have no problem with people that want to change or alter their gender by getting hormones OTC. They should also have no problem with selling hormones OTC to people that want to bulk up their muscle mass.

Counter that.
There is nothing to counter. It's off topic. But if you really think that then start a thread and promote your beliefs.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:55 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
That may be true of anyone the first time they are prescribed a drug, it's the ongoing use that can make seeing the Dr redundant.
Your history changes, your health status changes, medicine changes. If not annually, a woman should at least see a doc every two years for BCP.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:56 PM

1,933 posts, read 1,825,186 times
No they should be given freely everywhere.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Your history changes, your health status changes, medicine changes. If not annually, a woman should at least see a doc every two years for BCP.
Everyone should see a Dr at some regular interval. BCP doesn't add risk that isn't already there OTC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies