Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 03:39 PM

291 posts, read 752,032 times

Advertisements

I just got back from a lovely trip through the Netherlands visiting friends in Amsterdam and in several small cities in Freisland.

I travel frequently throughout Europe and Latin America for business and pleasure.

Apart from the how orderly and clean it is...one thing that strikes you is how happy people there seem ( inspite of the weather).

The streets are full of life , multigenerational groups including young kids with glowing happy faces walking , biking and enjoying their high quality of life together.

I always get the same questions asked of me and my country....Why are Americans so crazy and mixed up? What are you people thinking? What's with all the nationalism? Why don't you take care of your people first? What's the deal with Sarah Palin and George Bush? Have you lost it?

I never have an answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 04:03 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,600,127 times
I never get tired of being an American.

But I could if I wanted to, which is one of the benefits of this place, I suppose.

I actually live in an area (Western Michigan) that has an extremely high number of Dutch immigrants. They all like it better here, partly because they have true freedom of religion in the States. They also can afford to buy land here, unlike in the Netherlands.

So... is it a case of "ignorance is bliss?" There are benefits to living in a place like that, but drawbacks as well. Namely a lack of opportunity and much less ability to have a little land and personal space.

Don't underestimate the number of "happy" people in the U.S. They just aren't always on the streets and visible in our urban areas, which is another subject for another thread.

Old 07-10-2010, 04:10 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,977,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittNewbie View Post
I just got back from a lovely trip through the Netherlands visiting friends in Amsterdam and in several small cities in Freisland.

I travel frequently throughout Europe and Latin America for business and pleasure.

Apart from the how orderly and clean it is...one thing that strikes you is how happy people there seem ( inspite of the weather).

The streets are full of life , multigenerational groups including young kids with glowing happy faces walking , biking and enjoying their high quality of life together.

I always get the same questions asked of me and my country....Why are Americans so crazy and mixed up? What are you people thinking? What's with all the nationalism? Why don't you take care of your people first? What's the deal with Sarah Palin and George Bush? Have you lost it?

I never have an answer.
Bush hasn't been in power in over 1 1/2 years. Obama is going on 2 years in his 4 year (knock on wood) term & hasn't accomplished anything that I can think of outside of leading this once great country on a communist path.

Obama is just a pawn elected to shut the minorities up.

Old 07-10-2010, 04:14 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,433,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Why exactly do minorities need to "shut up"? They are just as American as you are.

Old 07-10-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Bush hasn't been in power in over 1 1/2 years. Obama is going on 2 years in his 4 year (knock on wood) term & hasn't accomplished anything that I can think of outside of leading this once great country on a communist path.

See... this is the exact stuff that makes this country unbearable at times.

Communist conspiracies, fear mongering and hate.

I do think it is a reflection of our poor educational system.

Old 07-10-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
See... this is the exact stuff that makes this country unbearable at times.

Communist conspiracies, fear mongering and hate.

I do think it is a reflection of our poor educational system.
Hey you're the one bringing up Bush knowing damn good & well he hasn't had a hold of the reigns in over 1 1/2 years. Now that's really smart.

Old 07-10-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Why exactly do minorities need to "shut up"? They are just as American as you are.
Except the vast majority of the ones receiving free health care & using the ER as their annual "doctors visit". I work & pay my taxes thank you. My relatives came here legally, worked their asses off, learned to speak English, & got their citizenships.

Don't tell me minorities are just as American as me. Don't even go there.

Old 07-10-2010, 04:35 PM

But the damage that he has done...the millions killed/maimed and displaced in our name, the world wide financial meltdown, the corrupt system of corporate lobbyist having a bigger voice than average citizens, the BP oil spill, the response to Katrina, Enron...the mess goes on and on.

What planet do you live on?

Old 07-10-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
But the damage that he has done...the millions killed/maimed and displaced in our name, the world wide financial meltdown, the corrupt system of corporate lobbyist having a bigger voice than average citizens, the BP oil spill, the response to Katrina, Enron...the mess goes on and on.

What planet do you live on?
WTF?

Bush didn't have jack **** to do with BP, the financial meltdown, or Katrina other than helping those people out. When they finally got help (no thanks to their inept mayor & governor at the time) they abused it & started firing rounds at the very people trying to save their sorry asses.

Obama has treated this BP disaster & New Orleans like an old Pontiac. Keep driving it while its leaking oil till it finally quits on you in the middle of a busy intersection.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 07-10-2010 at 04:52 PM..

Old 07-10-2010, 04:50 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,759,371 times
Quote:
WTF?

Bush didn't have jack **** to do with BP, the financial meltdown, or Katrina other than helping those people out. When they finally got help (no thanks to their inept mayor & governor at the time) they abused it & started firing rounds at the very people trying to save their sorry asses.

Obama has treated this BP disaster & New Orleans like an old Pontiac. Keep driving it while its leaking oil.
I guess you like Bush, Bush was the WORST president ever!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies