Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 06:37 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
That quote can be so misused. National parks and forests would not exist, they'd be resorts or suburbs. It'd cost even more money to go hunting because someone else would own all the land. I think Crockett would be in tears at the thought of that.
Your point is well-taken. And I agree on some levels. But really, I don't know that what you say would necessarily be true as concerns national parks. For one, most of these lands in the western states were retained under federal control from the beginning so there is constitutional justification for keeping them that way. And pristine.

Again though, however, the theme and point of sharing the Crockett article is more a general principle of power being entrusted to tax and spend at whim (for personal power and wealth) far beyond anything the federal government was ever intended to have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 10:25 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,240,443 times
Thank you! This is ABSOLUTELY one of the most important writings that can be given to any and all elected officials! You couldn't be more right, it should be issued to all elected officials before they do their oaths of office.

Unfortunately, it's not that the current crop of Republicrat elected officials haven't heard this philosophy, it's that they couldn't care less what is right and wrong. They all are corrupt to the core. Only a Libertarian revolt would bring us back to fiscal sanity, and a government that understands that Americans have some rights to their own money. Then we can chose the charities WE believe in, rather than have some sleazebag politician give away our money for their own personal power and political gain.

I came across it 20 years ago and gave it to my friend, who was on the City Council in a large municipality near West Palm Beach, FL. She recognized the importance of it, and made copies for all her fellow elected officials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies