Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 10:26 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Yet, that 30% of domestic oil production, is only 8% of what we use.

Kind of puts perspective on it.

So we can produce around 24% of our oil, maybe 30 if we lifted a lot of regulation.

That still leaves us importing oil from countries that hate us. How about we use our tax rebates for the drilling, and put them towards finding an alternative.

I'm not saying we aren't going to need oil, its certain that we will for some materials. However, lets focus on ending our dependence on oil, not just foreign oil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 05:31 PM

518 posts, read 448,784 times
"These jobs that are being lost in the gulf, don't really have all that much to do with this one rig sailing away. Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm sure you will) but I would think the fishing industry, the tourism industry, and the restaurant industry, are all suffering down there (plus some other industries) because of all that oil floating around down there. Fishers can't fish because of the oiled water, so the restaurants have less fish to serve and have to raise their prices. Plus they are getting less tourists now, probably because there would be no swimming in the oiled water, so they would further have to raise prices because there are less customers during what I'm going to assume should be a peak time of the year for residents down there. So how oblivious am I again?"

Actually the "disaster" of oiled beaches is severely overblown by the national news channels (mostly liberal) who would rather spin tales of oil gushing three feet thick all over gulf coast beaches so that tourists will stay away. They'd rather see gulf coast tourism destroyed and livelihoods shattered by the oil so they can point at "evil big oil" and say I told you so. I've made weekend day trips to the beach in Orange Beach, AL almost every weekend since the spill started and its astonishing how overblown this disaster has been in regards to oiled beaches and wildlife. I haven't seen the first dead wildlife (although obviously there is some occuring closer to the well site at deeper water levels but nothing the way the media is portraying). The liberal big oil hating media has almost singlehandedly destroyed this summer's beach tourism in my area. Their overhyping of the disaster has been FAR FAR more damaging than any actual oil that has washed ashore. I've seen beached oil on ONE trip there and while it stinks when it does happen the beach and water is perfectly fine 85% of the time and is usually clear the next day. The media and other liberals on these boards then pretend to really give a #### about Gulf Coast residents while out of the other side of their mouth they flippantly and sarcastically roll their eyes over a measley 20,000 direct oil jobs being lost due to the moratorium as if that's nothing. That doesn't even take into consideration indirect jobs either. It's ironic that the very residents (myself included) that have had to actually experience the spill are the ones most concerned about a moratorium and people from other areas basically telling us we don't care about your jobs you dumb Gulf Coast idiots. We want to BAN ALL DRILLING regardless of how many lifes it ruins in the process so that we can show those meanie big oil people who is boss!! Do Gulf Coast residents who actually live with the effects of the spill have any say in the matter?

BTW, now that oil hasn't leaked for nearly two weeks the beaches are in fantastic shape (not that they weren't fine 85 to 90% of the time anyway) and large areas of the gulf have been re-opened for offshore fishing. Don't let the media scare you away from visiting and supported the hurting businesses along the Gulf Coast. Don't let them do anymore damage than they have already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies