Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 07:36 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,428,740 times

Advertisements

I've been reading more and more stuff like this. Sure, there's always going to be those who think the end of the world is just around the corner, but what's worrisome is much of this is now coming from scientists and oil industry experts..

Personally I'm not saying or believing this is going to happen, but it's not beyond the realm of possibility. And one has to wonder why the government has been so stringent in keeping the media and the public in the dark about this disaster..

Quote:
BP’s Deepwater Horizon drilling operation may have triggered an irreversible, cascading geological Apocalypse that will culminate with the first mass extinction of life on Earth in many millions of years.

The people and property located on the greater expanse of the Gulf Coast are sitting at Ground Zero. They will be the first exposed to poisonous, cancer causing chemical gases. They will be the ones that initially experience the full fury of a methane bubble exploding from the ruptured seabed.

Most experts in the know, however, agree that if the world-changing event does occur it will happen suddenly and within the next 6 months.
Doomsday: How BP Gulf disaster may have triggered a world-killing event - by Terrence Aym - Helium
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 07:43 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
You know that someone is going to come up with some sort of obscure ancient text with a line that will be interpreted as a prophesy. A prophecy that specifically refers to British Petroleum being the agent for world catastrophe.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:52 AM

1,125 posts, read 1,590,361 times
You have to look at this one of two ways. Either there is going to be a world ending event that will take place in the next six months that will kill us all or there is not going to be a world ending event that will kill us all.

Either way there is nothing you or I can do to change the outcome except with our prayers, so I suggest you stop worrying.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:58 AM

640 posts, read 388,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
I've been reading more and more stuff like this. Sure, there's always going to be those who think the end of the world is just around the corner, but what's worrisome is much of this is now coming from scientists and oil industry experts..

Personally I'm not saying or believing this is going to happen, but it's not beyond the realm of possibility. And one has to wonder why the government has been so stringent in keeping the media and the public in the dark about this disaster..

Doomsday: How BP Gulf disaster may have triggered a world-killing event - by Terrence Aym - Helium
Oh, ****!!! I think this sounds really scary! Critical mass. Does anyone know what there has been a restriction on news from the cleanup area? Or is there a thread on CD about that where I can read?

Old 07-11-2010, 08:02 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
In many millions of years......... I suspect earth will be destroyed by an astroid or something else by then. Was't man-made global warming predicted to destroy us earlier? The great part about predicting something to happen in many millions of years.....no one will be around to disprove the theory.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
You have to look at this one of two ways. Either there is going to be a world ending event that will take place in the next six months that will kill us all or there is not going to be a world ending event that will kill us all.

Either way there is nothing you or I can do to change the outcome except with our prayers, so I suggest you stop worrying.
I'm not worrying and I'm sure not into prayers, by posting this piece I'm providing another viewpoint as to what might REALLY be going on in the Gulf.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:08 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times
Wait til the Yellowstone super volcano re-erupts if you want a really big bang . Discovery Channel :: Supervolcano

Old 07-11-2010, 08:41 AM

23,534 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Default the day science died

Nature has agreat capacity to heal, that is, re-establish equilibrium.

There is precedent for large oil spills around the world and in the gulf in 1979. Really, a spill that spewed for 9 months? Who knew? So let's consider some perspective. The current rage is to take events out of perspective and play them for political leverage.

To see a human being scrubbing individual blades of grass clean, as shown on tv last night, does not give me confidence in the socio-political pseudo science spewed by any administration especially the current Obama administration.

By approving the BP drilling operation, naming a new head of the mms almost a year ago, Obama squarely owns this disaster and may be considered a conspirator with BP especially in light of PO's laconic response capped by his meeting with BP 60 some odd days after the fact.

Could you imagine Bush playing golf and messing with the Beattles if this was under his watch!?
This is not in defense of Bush but an indictment of the news media relinquishing their role in shining the light of day in the dark hearts of the current administration.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Nature has agreat capacity to heal, that is, re-establish equilibrium.

There is precedent for large oil spills around the world and in the gulf in 1979. Really, a spill that spewed for 9 months? Who knew? So let's consider some perspective. The current rage is to take events out of perspective and play them for political leverage.

To see a human being scrubbing individual blades of grass clean, as shown on tv last night, does not give me confidence in the socio-political pseudo science spewed by any administration especially the current Obama administration.

By approving the BP drilling operation, naming a new head of the mms almost a year ago, Obama squarely owns this disaster and may be considered a conspirator with BP especially in light of PO's laconic response capped by his meeting with BP 60 some odd days after the fact.

Could you imagine Bush playing golf and messing with the Beattles if this was under his watch!?
This is not in defense of Bush but an indictment of the news media relinquishing their role in shining the light of day in the dark hearts of the current administration.
Both parties own this disaster, because both, with very few exceptions, are owned by Big Oil. You do remember "Drill baby drill" don't you? Haven't heard much of that from the GOP lately...I wonder why?

Having said that, I do think Obama has dragged his feet on this incident and continues to help in what to me and many others looks like a coverup.

As for your comment about nature having "a great capacity to heal"..That may be true if we were referring almost exclusively to the oil, but the real problem, at least according to the article, is the escaping methane.

Quote:
The subterranean methane is pressurized at 100,000 pounds psi. According to Matt Simmons, an oil industry expert, the methane pressure at the wellhead has now skyrocketed to a terrifying 40,000 pounds psi.

Another well-respected expert, Dr. John Kessler of Texas A&M University has calculated that the ruptured well is spewing 60 percent oil and 40 percent methane. The normal methane amount that escapes from a compromised well is about 5 percent.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:56 AM

952 posts, read 942,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post

....eh, we'll be able to look back and laugh at this in ten thousand years or so.

Last edited by alphaluce; 07-11-2010 at 10:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies