Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 08:17 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,439,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
Havent you heard.. there is a white guy in the white house

Sure. But he isn't the prez.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 08:20 AM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
Sure. But he isn't the prez.
Half of him is white, and all of him is the prez.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:23 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,439,375 times
Wink <sarcasm>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Half of him is white, and all of him is the prez.

The old adage is "one drop of black blood = negro" is it not?

Old 08-02-2010, 08:34 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,301,736 times
Default Predudice

There will always be predudice, it is human nature.

If you put three people in a room:

The 2 women will pick on the man,
the 2 straights will pick on the gay,
the 2 whites will pick on the black,
the 2 Catholics will pick on the Baptist,
the 2 short people will pick on the tall,
the 2 fat will pick on the skinny,
etc.

Ya'll know I am right. Once you start picking out certain people to get 'protection', the balance shifts.

A famous person once said:
"I want my 4 daughters, to be judged by the content of their character, rather than the color of their skin".

Another more famous person said;
"Do unto others, as you would have them, do unto you."

Old 08-02-2010, 09:14 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,651,747 times
When I was working for a major bank in the early 90s, we had lay offs in our department. The 4 people targeted were the young single white males. No women, no "minorities". We had a pregnant woman who was out on leave who was not qualified to do our jobs, she had an entirely different position that they eliminated but retained her to take over one of the financial positions. I had received a very good review that year too and was still let go. It all worked out for me in the end but simply put, it was wrong to do what they did and discriminatory but they knew that the potential lawsuits that would come their way based on racism were less of a factor doing it the way they did.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:21 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
When I was working for a major bank in the early 90s, we had lay offs in our department. The 4 people targeted were the young single white males. No women, no "minorities". We had a pregnant woman who was out on leave who was not qualified to do our jobs, she had an entirely different position that they eliminated but retained her to take over one of the financial positions. I had received a very good review that year too and was still let go. It all worked out for me in the end but simply put, it was wrong to do what they did and discriminatory but they knew that the potential lawsuits that would come their way based on racism were less of a factor doing it the way they did.

Yeah! We white guys have got it tough in America! I want my country back!

Old 08-02-2010, 09:21 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,935,741 times
White male here and I don't think I have it hard. Really, no one lucky enough to live in our country can really say they have it hard.

Imagine living in Afganistan or North Korea or Somalia.... makes our problems here seem very petty.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:44 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Excuse me, but HOW. I want specific LEGAL methods that whites still have the upper hand. I want proof that whites are, BY LAW, preffered in any way, shape, or form when it comes to anything.Until then your just playi ng the subjective opinion game.

I have already shown that white males get stiffed when it comes to higher education and public sector job opportunities.

So true. That's why there are so few of them in high positions.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:46 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
Havent you heard.. there is a white guy in the white house
Where? I thought we got rid of George Bush.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:03 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I think you are speaking to the silent evil of the new vernacular: "soft bigotry". Even if everyone was the same race, there will always be people out searching for a clique, and people to exclude from their clique.

There are people today, who claim not to be bigots, but they discriminate according to class standing, if that were all the same, then they look to differences in social standing or politics or religion or which coast or latitude the state was that you were raised in.

These days it seems like political ideology trumps everything else with these cliquish people, and yet we have no affirmative action laws forcing colleges to include more conservative professors.

The musical icon, Elton John, was loved by other white gays, now he is being attacked and vilified. John did not suddenly become a racial minority, he just performed in Israel and at Limbaugh's wedding and spoke out against gay marriage. Just imagine if John were just some guy at work, and the boss was a gay liberal, do you think he might discriminate against John when it came time to choose someone for a promotion? And yet we have no laws to protect against people being discriminated upon, based on their ideological positions on the issues of the day.
At least people choose where they politically stand. People don't choose to be of a certain race or orientation or ability. Obviously, I don't think that justifies discriminating against people based on their political beliefs, but I do think the situation is a bit different. It's a step in the right direction. At least people are going for what others have at least some conscious control over instead of aspects they have no control over.

Regarding the example with Elton John, the fact is he chose to perform in Israel. He chose to speak out against gay marriage. He has the right to his opinion, but so do others. Of course I don't think they should attack him, but they should be allowed to express their opinions just as freely as he did.

Regarding the example about hiring a Conservative or Liberal as a professor, I think that situation is also distinct. An offer for a professorship can be accepted or turned down. Most people tend to attract to like-minded people too, so the average liberal will gravitate towards more liberal universities, and the average conservative will gravitate towards more conservative universities. When someone does go to a university that has a drastically different trend from their own beliefs, they generally know what they're getting themselves into. Again, I don't think it would justify discrimination, but I do think the situation is very much distinct from hiring a professor based on a part of their background that's beyond their control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies