Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 11:58 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
An excellent article to begin -

THE WHITE LIBERAL CONUNDRUM

Some excerpts

[MOD CUT/copyright]
Full article here

"Many white liberals consider themselves rather enlightened for their ability to retroactively support the Civil Rights movement and to quote safely dead anti-racist icons, even though their present-day physical, intellectual, and political orbits remain mostly segregated."

Must not apply to conservatives since the only people I segregate myself from are people who blame me for their personal shortcomings. Gets pretty irritating after a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 11:59 PM

133 posts, read 72,959 times
Quote:
Democrats enacted One Drop laws.

Democrats opposed civil rights and now retroactively support it. Link

Supreme Court declared One Drop Rule unconstitutional.

So why do you support this racist Democrat rule?
What is this, quiz time? lol lol racist Democrat rule? Are you referring to the Democratic Party? What did the conservative Republicans do about all of this? if it's still supported, where the hell are the conservatives and the conservative republicans and WHY aren't they stopping it? Why didn't they stop it when they were in power all those years? How do you know what I support or don't support? Do you have a part time gig as a mind reader?

Old 08-27-2010, 01:14 AM

1,677 posts, read 1,668,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmandoSanchez View Post
What is this, quiz time? lol lol racist Democrat rule? Are you referring to the Democratic Party? What did the conservative Republicans do about all of this? if it's still supported, where the hell are the conservatives and the conservative republicans and WHY aren't they stopping it? Why didn't they stop it when they were in power all those years? How do you know what I support or don't support? Do you have a part time gig as a mind reader?
Do you have a clue as to what you are talking about?

One Drop Rule was declared unconstitutional in 1967.

I ask the same question of persons on both sides of the fence and of every skin color.

At this time, I'm asking you because you responded to my post on ODR, which stated:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara
I have never met a liberal who could answer why they continue to follow the ancient and racist One Drop Rule.
Do you follow it or not? Why or why not?

Old 08-27-2010, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Do you have a clue as to what you are talking about?

One Drop Rule was declared unconstitutional in 1967.

I ask the same question of persons on both sides of the fence and of every skin color.

At this time, I'm asking you because you responded to my post on ODR, which stated:

Do you follow it or not? Why or why not?
Pretty demanding, aren't you? Why are you asking whether or not I follow the one-drop rule? What do you mean specifically by following the one-drop rule? How does that work, following the one-drop rule these days? How do you know what skin color people are on an Internet forum? Do tell us, please. You say you ask these questions of people on both sides of the fence and of all skin colors.....do you take surveys, do you ask political affiliation, race, etc., when you ask these questions? How about providing us with YOUR data? Republicans never had ANY SAY regarding the one-drop rule, Miss Scarlet? It was all those nasty liberal racist Democrats? And the Democratic Party has stayed EXACTLY THE SAME throughout time? Is that what you're saying? You're saying that those disgusting racist liberals like, say, George Wallace in his time, and people like that today are running the Democratic Party and those racists liberals support the one-drop rule? Scarlet, are you busy trying to write revisionist history, girl? No, of course you wouldn't do that. lol lol

Old 08-27-2010, 06:35 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Get one thing straight: the Democrats that enacted the raciest laws are now called Conservative Republicans. The Republican party that freed the slaves are now Progressive Democrats. The current Republicans are Classist first, Racists second and reactionaries all the time. Anyone that is not very rich and very white that votes for any Republican is being very foolish because the Republicans are your exploiters and not your helpers.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:43 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Get one thing straight: the Democrats that enacted the raciest laws are now called Conservative Republicans. The Republican party that freed the slaves are now Progressive Democrats. The current Republicans are Classist first, Racists second and reactionaries all the time. Anyone that is not very rich and very white that votes for any Republican is being very foolish because the Republicans are your exploiters and not your helpers.
Only one problem with what you are saying. For one people that vote Republican are not looking for help. We believe that we can succeed in life without Federal Government helping us.

Then you have the fact, that of course the former Democrats that enacted the racist laws, and the ones that opposed civil rights, the majority of them remained Democrats.

The Republican party that freed the slaves is the party that believed that man should be judged based on his character, not the color of his skin, well, sounds exactly like the Republican Party of today. The Dems still judge people off the color of their skin, they still try to hold minorities down. The Dems still look at minorities as less then human.

Any one that is not white is a fool to support the Dems, since they dems only want to exploit them for votes.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:13 AM

scarlet, do you have a cite for the 1967 ruling by Supreme Court that one-drop rule unconstitutional? my research indicates that there were still court cases involving race designation as late as the 1980s. Here is some of the information I've found: In 1988, 39-year-old Mary Christine Walker, a Denver schoolteacher with fair complexion, green eyes, and light brown hair claimed on a job application to be Black. Her prospective employer obtained Ms. Walker's birth certificate, found her listed there as "White," and accused her of "lying to take advantage of minority-hiring policies." Walker promptly filed suit in State District Court. Walker was born a White child into a White family but in adolescence found herself more at home among African Americans. She joined a Black church and Black social clubs; her friends and boyfriends were Black. She claimed to be Black, despite her looks. She sued and won. The school board appealed and she won again, this time with increased damages levied against the school. Introduction to the U.S. One-Drop Rule (C14) - a knol by Frank W Sweet. ADDITIONALLY, scarlet, why, if the one-drop rule is still being supported by those nasty liberal racists, do the census forms now allow for the designations other than just black or white, such as other, biracial, etc.? AGAIN, what exactly do you mean when you ask: Do you SUPPORT the one-drop rule? What actions show support for the one-drop rule in your mind?

Old 08-27-2010, 07:18 AM

Quote:
scarlet, do you have a cite for the 1967 ruling by Supreme Court that one-drop rule unconstitutional? my research indicates that there were still court cases involving race designation as late as the 1980s. Here is some of the information I've found: In 1988, 39-year-old Mary Christine Walker, a Denver schoolteacher with fair complexion, green eyes, and light brown hair claimed on a job application to be Black. Her prospective employer obtained Ms. Walker's birth certificate, found her listed there as "White," and accused her of "lying to take advantage of minority-hiring policies." Walker promptly filed suit in State District Court. Walker was born a White child into a White family but in adolescence found herself more at home among African Americans. She joined a Black church and Black social clubs; her friends and boyfriends were Black. She claimed to be Black, despite her looks. She sued and won. The school board appealed and she won again, this time with increased damages levied against the school. Introduction to the U.S. One-Drop Rule (C14) - a knol by Frank W Sweet. ADDITIONALLY, scarlet, why, if the one-drop rule is still being supported by those nasty liberal racists, do the census forms now allow for the designations other than just black or white, such as other, biracial, etc.? AGAIN, what exactly do you mean when you ask: Do you SUPPORT the one-drop rule? What actions show support for the one-drop rule in your mind?

You know what she is asking, are you afraid to answer?
Plain and simple, she wants to know if a person is half black and half white, do you consider the person to be "black"?

Old 08-27-2010, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
Only one problem with what you are saying. For one people that vote Republican are not looking for help. We believe that we can succeed in life without Federal Government helping us.

Then you have the fact, that of course the former Democrats that enacted the racist laws, and the ones that opposed civil rights, the majority of them remained Democrats.

The Republican party that freed the slaves is the party that believed that man should be judged based on his character, not the color of his skin, well, sounds exactly like the Republican Party of today. The Dems still judge people off the color of their skin, they still try to hold minorities down. The Dems still look at minorities as less then human.

Any one that is not white is a fool to support the Dems, since they dems only want to exploit them for votes.
well, god bless you, you certainly have the right to believe whatever you want to believe, even if you have the facts exactly backwards. If you believe what you said above, then your more in line with white supremacist thinking than you are with what the majority of blacks think about this issue. Seriously, you really might want to consider taking a good course in the history of the Republican/Democratic Parties since reconstruction. There's a lot to learn.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:25 AM

Quote:
well, god bless you, you certainly have the right to believe whatever you want to believe, even if you have the facts exactly backwards. If you believe what you said above, then your more in line with white supremacist thinking than you are with what the majority of blacks think about this issue. Seriously, you really might want to consider taking a good course in the history of the Republican/Democratic Parties since reconstruction. There's a lot to learn.
Maybe you should learn true history and not the lies you have been told and continue to believe and insist on.

Believing someone should be judged on their character rather then the color of their skin is in line with white supremacist thinking? And you think I have it backwards?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies