Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 01:24 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
rbohm & navyapproved -

How could the prices be so similar in so many places with all the variables you have listed. Why should gasoline prices in southern California, where there are local oil wells and refineries, be the same as Maine where the nearest crude is in Pennsylvania? Why is gasoline priced nearly the same in Texas as Michigan? They are the same because of a national and international agreement between the retail oil companies not enter in to domestic price competition.

Foreign prices do show immense price differences. Gasoline in Europe is many dollars per gallon and in Venezuela it is pennies per gallon. I do not know what gasoline sells for in Saudi Arabia but I doubt if it is nearly three dollars per gallon.
Quote:
I live frugally because my wages have not kept up with inflation and I refuse to use credit to maintain a consumer lifestyle. We have cut our driving substantially. Forty years ago a coast to coast auto trip happened about every two years. I have not driven to the west coast and back for a vacation since I rode a motorcycle from San Francisco to NYC in the mid 1980's. This is the result of transferring wealth from the working class to our useless foreign Empire and the Saudi oil sheiks.
well i am glad that you have finally admitted that you really dont know what gas prices are across the country. since 1992, and until 2006, i used to drive cross country to work in the national parks in the hospitality industry. as i went east from arizona to virginia, gas prices went down until i got through texas, then they started back up again. i would pay 2.75 in arizona, 2.65 in new mexico, 2.45 in el paso, 1.95 in dallas/ft worth, then back up to 2.25 in texarkana tx/ar, 2.55-2.65 in tennesse, and 2.55-2.75 in virginia. in fact in the last 20 years, the lowest price i paid for gasoline was 95 cents per gallon in louisiana.

there are many things that affect the price, taxes among them. other states set the price, not the wholesalers or retailers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 01:34 PM

23,866 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
NY has the most hot and humid climate
Heh. Tell that to the people in Miami, Corpus Christi, Honolulu...

Old 07-12-2010, 01:43 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Quote:
I do not own a car as I live in NY where public transportation is ubiquitous. Of course I have refrigeration and a normal size TV. I do not have kids and will not have any. I live in a two bedroom apartment and if you are familiar with NY aprtments (other than luxury apts) you would know that they are not very large. I only purchase organic food and eco-friendly products. I have a counter top compost container and I am an avid recycler. I try to keep my plastic purchases to a minimum and refuse to buy disposable goods whenever possible. My carbon footprint will be very small in comparison to most. Obviously, there are things that I am not able to do such as grow my own vegetables as I am a city dweller, but there are community gardens popping up in and around the city. When I purchase paper items I always look for the recycled ones. NY has the most hot and humid climate (and getting worse each summer), so I do own an energy efficient AC, but try to use my ceiling fans whenever possible.

I gave you a very detailed response. When are you going to respond to the question that I posed to you?

Well, that's better than Al Gore with his mansion and yacht with the solar panel and two CO2 spewing diesel engines.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:02 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
Quote:
Another fine example, along with the tobacco industry, of Corporate Ethics in action. Of course they will mislead the pubic. They have been saying for years that gasoline sells at a fair market price when all the gasoline prices are effectively the same. The similarity of prices indicates either collusion or monopoly at the wholesale level.

In short they, the Corporate World, will lie, cheat and steal.
You are first making an erroneous assumption that gasoline prices are effectively the same. They are not. Not even close. Are you paying $9.20 for a gallon of regular unleaded gas, or anywhere close? Well, the residents of McGrath, Alaska, are.

Gasoline price jumps 50% overnight in McGrath: Alaska Newsreader | adn.com

After you make your erroneous assumption you then draw your flawed conclusion. This is the typical tactic of leftists and eco-fanatics to reinforce their self-delusions. After all, if reality were to creep into the equation it would utterly destroy everything you hold dear.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:51 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,948,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
GregW, surely you know that in Europe there are very heavy taxes at play? As well as government support to keep prices very low in Venezuela.

Most of the nations Gas companies have national distribution networks. It is perfectly normal for prices to be somewhat similar.

Although it is not true that prices are as similar as you are suggesting. Traveling from areas where gas is refined to areas futher away, you can watch the prices creep up.

CA has much higher prices than Texas because of state regulations there that add to the refining costs.

California Gas Prices - Find Cheap Gas Prices in California

Texas Gas Prices - Find Cheap Gas Prices in Texas

The price of gas at the low end is about fifty cents cheeper in TX. That is roughly 17% less than the cost in CA.

I dont think you can say the prices are close between the two.
There ya go again, getting into those pesky details and ruining the nice day dream the precious little sheep have.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:55 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Well, that's better than Al Gore with his mansion and yacht with the solar panel and two CO2 spewing diesel engines.
Avoiding the question too I see. Typical.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:58 PM

9,890 posts, read 10,821,477 times
Quote:
What is so amazing is that some people are stupid enough to think that Al Gore has more to gain than Exxon and other dirty energy providers have to lose.

Who Funds Contrariness on Climate Change?

Koch Industries, a sprawling private corporation based in Wichita, Kan., and run by two brothers, is the primary sponsor of the "climate denial machine," the environmental group asserts in a 44-page report.

Who Funds Contrariness on Climate Change?: Scientific American

The environmental campaign group accuses Kansas-based Koch Industries, which owns refineries and operates oil pipelines, of funding 35 conservative and libertarian groups, as well as more than 20 congressmen and senators. Between them, Greenpeace says, these groups and individuals have spread misinformation about climate science and led a sustained assault on climate scientists and green alternatives to fossil fuels

Koch Industries is a $100bn-a-year conglomerate dominated by petroleum and chemical interests, with operations in nearly 60 countries and 70,000 employees. It owns refineries which process more than 800,000 barrels of crude oil a day in the US, as well as a refinery in Holland. It has held leases on the heavily polluting tar-sand fields of Alberta, Canada and has interests in coal, oil exploration, chemicals, forestry, and pipelines.

US oil company donated millions to climate sceptic groups, says Greenpeace | Environment | guardian.co.uk

ExxonMobil and the climate-change battle

The case of Exxon is an evident demonstration of how a corporation can devise a defensive strategy and mislead the mass public to maximize its profit. By promoting disbelief and underestimating the public's wisdom, many environmental experts believe that Exxon is adopting similar tactics as tobacco companies' stratagem in previous decades. Amazingly, despite facing criticism from its industry counterparts, ExxonMobil has minimal investments in renewable energy and undermines efforts to utilize green technologies such as CCS (carbon capture and storage).

ExxonMobil and the climate-change battle - by Elena Allahverdi - Helium
You mean all this time I have been doing it for free? How do I tap into some of this contrariness money?

Old 07-12-2010, 03:03 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,948,893 times
Quote:
Avoiding the question too I see. Typical.
Kind of like what you do in every thread?

By the way, you posted one of those same links in another thread making that very point. I guess that didn't meet your quota for the day though, so you started a whole thread for your own right?

Old 07-12-2010, 03:17 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Kind of like what you do in every thread?

By the way, you posted one of those same links in another thread making that very point. I guess that didn't meet your quota for the day though, so you started a whole thread for your own right?
You are barking up the wrong tree and resorting to canned rebuttals. No quota? You must be joking. Deniers never respond to questions that make them actually read provided links that require critical thinking...much like you are doing right now. Do you people deflect much? No need to answer that question, it was rhetorical.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:35 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Two articles about a radical group's charges that their views are being opposed by big business and another article from a no named hack blogger about the same thing. Yeah those really have credence.

I say why is Greenpeace so worried. Are their donations down? Just another ploy for them to drive private donations by painting a picture that big oil is behind a conspiracy to destroy planet earth.

Looks like both sides have diabolical and greedy agendas. How shocking!

I actually thought you might post something objective. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies