Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2010, 06:39 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,653,909 times

Advertisements

Slavery happened because your country shipped your people over here.
Our people finally realized how wrong it was and FOUGHT AND DIED to free you!
Try being thankful for good things and quit crying over spilt milk.
Try being positive instead of negative.
Take a trip to the battlefields where their blood soaked into the ground to set you free and while you are there?
THANK THEM!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 06:47 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,342,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
Yea, imagine that happening with the childish fuss the NAACP made over a greeting card that didn't say what they said it did.

Well they hadn't been in the news lately so they had to come up with something......

Old 07-15-2010, 06:51 AM

Union soldiers:
110,070, Death from wounds.
249,458, Death from disease.
275,175, Wounded.

All for you!
Think about it.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:57 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,565,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
[SIZE=-1]Deaths During the Civil War[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Union[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Confederacy[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Total forces[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]1,556,678[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]1,082,119[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Deaths from Wounds[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]110,070[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]94,000[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Deaths from Disease[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]249,458[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]164,000[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Death Rate[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]23 percent[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]24 percent[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Wounded[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]275,175[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]100,000[/SIZE]

Something... somewhere has gone terribly, terribly wrong with your cut and paste project.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
Something... somewhere has gone terribly, terribly wrong with your cut and paste project.
Correction:

Union soldiers:
110,070, Death from wounds.
249,458, Death from disease.
275,175, Wounded.

All for you!
Think about it.

Also more died in the Civil War than any other war.
What about all those "white" babies that grew up with no father?
Do you feel sorry for them?

Old 07-15-2010, 08:00 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
But he used the word slave, in English, whatever the original language word was, why did he not say prisoner or captive if that was the original word?

You also seem to be skirting all of the slavery that went on attempting to reduce the slave trade to certain tribes who may have been different in their treatment of slaves. Is this to better suit your agenda? Slaves traded or sold to America were different than the rest of the slaves so they and their African traders need to be discussed in a different light?

In what regard do you hold the African slave trader? Do you expect anything from their descendants or other tribal descendants who used to trade or sell slaves, possibly your ancestors? It seems you are making some sort of excuse for them, am I right?
Of course he used the word slave, however, like you pointed out, these individuals were held against their will for the crime of warring with the capturing tribe, they could not go back to their previous life and they were made to work. That maps more to imprisonment in America than it does to the system of slavery BY BIRTH and RACE that existed in America. If you define what existed in this Narrative as "slavery" then America still has slavery with all those held against their will and made to work for transgressions against society...under incarceration.

All I am doing is EXPLAINING that just because you use the same term does not mean the same phenomenon exists. Slavery in Africa was in fact DIFFERENT from slavery in the West, as a general rule, from all the research that I have done. Again, this is the history of MY PEOPLE. I have a vested interest in knowing my history......white folks do not. Its silly for you to have this debate when you have never really taken the time to study the history of African peoples or to have traveled to Africa to learn more about this history....like I have. I am not trying to excuse anything. Life in Africa was no utopia but it certainly was not like ignorant people try to portray it either. When people say that "they sold their own people" that is simply false. They sold prisoners from rival tribes captured in wars. That is how people become "slaves" in West Africa, where my ancestors are from. Like I said, their agrarian lives were very labor intensive, as was all agrarian societies before modern machinery. When there were wars....lives were lost....which deprived tribes of people to work those lands. When you war with another tribe, who kills members of your tribe, being put to work for the opposing tribe seems morally superior than simply killing them....which they could have done. Now...again, all this changed when the Europeans came trading commodities for humans. That changed the motivation of warfare in Africa. As a human I can draw from my humanity to see why so many got involved. Once a tribe traded with the Europeans and got guns and ammunition, they had a great advantage over other tribes. Hence, other tribes could be raided and its people captured by the superior armies armed with guns. Thus.....what would you have done if you were the chief? Either you participated by trading your prisoners/slaves for guns or you faced the possibility of having your whole tribe captured or killed and sold by those tribes who had already traded with the Europeans. European demand for humans became a cancer that metastasized warfare and conflict upon the continent. Without the Europeans there would have been much less warring and far fewer "slaves".

What do I expect of the African slave traders? Well, they were conquered by the Europeans and had their possession taken from them, including the wealth of their land during colonization. Their kingdoms and homelands were dismantled and carved up and divided into "nations" based upon the desires and claims of European nations. That is why the official language in most of those nations is now English or French and not their native languages. You see...they were divided and conquered. They turned against each other at the benefit of the Europeans, when they should have been uniting against the Europeans. War between grasshoppers delights the crows.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 07-15-2010 at 08:11 AM..

Old 07-15-2010, 08:03 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
Our people finally realized how wrong it was and FOUGHT AND DIED to free you!
Many think americans fought the British for their independance over a tea tax, and do not realise it had to do with the fact that our states were outlawing slavery when the British monarchy came along and said that we had no right to create laws counter to the British government.

Its as if people think americans came to this country and we created slavery..

Old 07-15-2010, 08:10 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Many think americans fought the British for their independance over a tea tax, and do not realise it had to do with the fact that our states were outlawing slavery when the British monarchy came along and said that we had no right to create laws counter to the British government.

Its as if people think americans came to this country and we created slavery..
LOL...uh.....Americans did not come to this country....Europeand did. White people, Europeans, came from COUNTRIES like England and France and they simply brought their WAYS with them. This place did not become "America" unitl Europeans from Europe came here and called the place that. Again..Americans did not come to this country.....Europeans did to form colonies that would feed and enrich the homeland and they used slavery as the engine of the wealth creation.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:22 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,868,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
I’m not asking this in an attempt to start a thread of animosity and hatred, but I’d rather like to really understand the mindset of some whites here at CD. For the threads that I’ve entered regarding slavery, there seems to be an inevitable outcry by some to “get over it and stop playing the victim” whenever someone posts anything related to slavery. So my question for non-Black CD’ers:

When will it be okay for blacks on this board to post threads regarding slavery, the finding of slave artifacts, the troubled beginnings of blacks in America, etc WITHOUT

-posts telling us to “get over it”
-posts telling us to “stop playing the victim”
-posts reminding us that Africans had slaves and in fact sold slaves to Europeans who brought them to America
-posts telling us that they shouldn’t be made to pay for the crime of their ancestors and are “sick of being blamed”
-posts telling us about other races, nationalities, etc who had it bad

Can intelligent whites on this board not recognize the desire to discuss slavery WITHOUT any ulterior motives? Can a discussion about slavery simply be a discussion about slavery and have absolutely nothing to do with 1) blaming contemporary white people 2) wallowing in self-pity 3) using it as a crutch for current black problems, etc.

To restate my thread title: When can blacks discuss slavery without being accused of victimhood or living in the past?
I think blacks have a better case for mention Jim Crow and discrimination that still goes on today. That is more of a case of contemporary social problems and economic inequality among American blacks than slavery.

Also, the fact there were a number of successful black neighborhoods and towns and that racist whites (which included the majority of whites) went out of there way to destroy property owned by blacks. Rosewood, Florida and the Tulsa Race Riots are two well known examples.

And, yes, Africans sold Africans to European slave traders and it is asinine to expect people to feel guilty for the actions of their ancestors or for acts of evil that someone of their own race (not even their ancestors) committed. You haven't debunked why such arguments are wrong, merely dismissed.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:33 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,300,646 times
It's easy to say get over it when you're the other party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies