Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2010, 10:52 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,468,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Time heals all wounds. Don't forget that nearly 90% of the era of blacks in these lands has been under various forms of legal oppression, from the 1600's until today.
Moreover, its not as if the end of legal oppression meant the end of oppression and discrimination. Thus, it makes it harder and longer for wounds to heal when the wound is continually being aggrivated. For example, if I had a dime for everytime I hear white folks imply that the problems of blacks is laziness and irresponsiblity, I would be rich. Tell me....with this being a popular belief among whites.....what would be the incentive for a white person to hire a black person for a job.....when there are white, Asian and Hispanic applicants who are seen as better and less problematic employees (hence more productive and better for profits)? If white folks truly do see black people as the cause of most of the problems black people face these days.....then it does not make good business sense to hire the unknown black guy when you can hire from a pool of groups that one believes are better and more responsible workers. In other words, what I am saying is that there is a detrimental consquence, upon black opportunity, from the beliefs of whites...who own the vast and disproportionate number of buisnesses out here. I mean honestly, based upon the way many white folks think on this forum....its clear to see how such beliefs are detrimental to blacks if any of you are in a position of authority. Of course most of you will defend and say that you have some black friends who are hard working and yadda yadda yadda....however, that is because these blacks have PROVEN themselves. When you don't know a black person.....then the stereotype takes over judgment....the type of beliefs that manifest on this forum concerning blacks. So when you see a black man....you see an "irresponsible dad" or someone who is lazy or someone who has criminal propensities or someone who makes bad choices. Why would you take a chance on someone like that when a white, Asian or Hispanic, that you view in a more favorable light......is an option? You all hold these negative views of black people....yet....don't see those views as a contributing factor, if not a selfullfillment, of the problems in the black community.
I think slaves would be very disappointed in the blacks today, that do not apply themselves. Because they have so much more now, and yet choose to do nothing for themselves. I do know black people, and they have taught me that the hardest thing that they had to do, was over come from other blacks, that they don't have to be the sterotypical black family. That just becuase they grew up with no father around, they didn't have to live in the ghetto, or join a gang, etc,etc. They had a strong mother and granparents and Aunts and Uncles that did not allow them to fail. Just like anyother family should do.
One daughter grew up and had a baby out of wedlock. Her son's father is not around, but the father is white. She has a great support system, and is working and supporting her son. I think race is a cop out. We have deadbeat fathers of all races. We have ghettos all around the world. We have people of all races that give up on themselves and their children. We have people of all races that choose to be lazy.
No one in America can say that they have it hard because-----fill in the blank, and that is why I sit here on welfare and whine. No more!
Blacks are not the only ones that have had it hard. So I'm kinda sick of hearing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 11:02 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waianaegirl View Post
I think slaves would be very disappointed in the blacks today, that do not apply themselves. Because they have so much more now, and yet choose to do nothing for themselves. I do know black people, and they have taught me that the hardest thing that they had to do, was over come from other blacks, that they don't have to be the sterotypical black family. That just becuase they grew up with no father around, they didn't have to live in the ghetto, or join a gang, etc,etc. They had a strong mother and granparents and Aunts and Uncles that did not allow them to fail. Just like anyother family should do.
One daughter grew up and had a baby out of wedlock. Her son's father is not around, but the father is white. She has a great support system, and is working and supporting her son. I think race is a cop out. We have deadbeat fathers of all races. We have ghettos all around the world. We have people of all races that give up on themselves and their children. We have people of all races that choose to be lazy.
No one in America can say that they have it hard because-----fill in the blank, and that is why I sit here on welfare and whine. No more!
Blacks are not the only ones that have had it hard. So I'm kinda sick of hearing it.
I think racist whites of the past would be very proud of whites of today....for your efforts to continue the donctrine of white supremacy and to preserve the stature of whites at the top of the totem pole. They worked VERY HARD to create an unequal society....and I am sure that they would thank you for your efforts to preserve their hard work, despite the changes of laws.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:41 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,655,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Precisely why an informative conversation on the subject of slavery is long over due.
1. To my knowledge Africans didn't own ships and the "over here" you speak of was misappropriated from Native people the same way "Negro Cargo" was from African traders.
2. The "our people" you speak of didn't care if it was wrong or not, Lincoln himself for all the slings and arrows he endured didn't believe Slaves were equal and offered the South to keep the institution of slavery, with out expanding it. The war was over the future of a national economy based on capitalism. Capitalism was said to be a novel and brilliant idea that would allow the wealthiest Americans to enslave White people along with the 'Negro"
3. The "our people who fought and died" for the "Negro"........to laugh.. they were fighting for $7.00 dollars a month because they didn't own any slaves. I feel confident in assuming you have never heard of Crispus Attucks or The Colored Troops.

Although I would love to go on with this dissertation of cursory information on slavery but the learning curve on this thread is deeper than the BP well and it has blown out too and similarly, spewing filth into the pristine waters of scholarship on the subject. To get you up to speed on the African presence in the New World prior to the arrival of that fabled Dutch Man of War in 1619 would be an exercise in futility my friend.
If that is what you believe then keep whining and wallow in your self pity forever.
Its not what I believe.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:44 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,655,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
You too, roll around in the muck of self pity until you die.
No skin off of my b#tt.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:46 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,208,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Well ChocLot I see you got your chit started.... When I read the name of your thread this morning I knew you did not want to talk JUST about slavery...
Actually this thread is an exact representation of what confuses me. Why does every discussion about slavery have to deteriorate so quickly here on CD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
As others like you have done so many times, YOU just wanted to stir the pot....
WRONG, try again.

Last edited by ChocLot; 07-15-2010 at 12:21 PM..

Old 07-15-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Quick, without looking, who created a thread dealing with a mythical "they" accusing blacks of using victimhood or living in the past? I see, only YOU can create generalizations..
A read through this post will reveal the "theys" who bring up the very things I outlined in my OP. Did you bother to read this whole thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
btw, have you looked up the fact that whites were ALSO slaves?
Prime example of one of my points.

Last edited by ChocLot; 07-15-2010 at 12:22 PM..

Old 07-15-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymie View Post
Can intelligent whites on this board not recognize the desire (of blacks) to discuss slavery WITHOUT any ulterior motives?
Can a discussion about slavery simply be a discussion about slavery and have absolutely nothing to do with
1) blaming contemporary white people
2) wallowing in self-pity
3) using it as a crutch for current black problems, etc.

I would love to hear blacks have this discussion.
So would I, but the topic almost inevitably gets derailed (this thread is a prime exaample ).

Old 07-15-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
Slavery happened because your country shipped your people over here.
Really, that's why? So, it had nothing to do with the Europeans who went there requesting laborers?
Quote:
Our people finally realized how wrong it was and FOUGHT AND DIED to free you!
I'm assuming that you're talking about the Civil War and if so, please do some research. The abolishment of slavery was a political strategy, nothing more.
Quote:
Try being thankful for good things and quit crying over spilt milk.
Thankful for what; rights and privileges that should have never been denied? That's like telling a wrongly accused prisoner to be thankful that he's free....after all, he could've still been in jail!

Last edited by ChocLot; 07-15-2010 at 12:22 PM..

Old 07-15-2010, 12:09 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,127,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Precisely why an informative conversation on the subject of slavery is long over due.
1. To my knowledge Africans didn't own ships and the "over here" you speak of was misappropriated from Native people the same way "Negro Cargo" was from African traders.
2. The "our people" you speak of didn't care if it was wrong or not, Lincoln himself for all the slings and arrows he endured didn't believe Slaves were equal and offered the South to keep the institution of slavery, with out expanding it. The war was over the future of a national economy based on capitalism. Capitalism was said to be a novel and brilliant idea that would allow the wealthiest Americans to enslave White people along with the 'Negro"
3. The "our people who fought and died" for the "Negro"........to laugh.. they were fighting for $7.00 dollars a month because they didn't own any slaves. I feel confident in assuming you have never heard of Crispus Attucks or The Colored Troops.

Although I would love to go on with this dissertation of cursory information on slavery but the learning curve on this thread is deeper than the BP well and it has blown out too and similarly, spewing filth into the pristine waters of scholarship on the subject. To get you up to speed on the African presence in the New World prior to the arrival of that fabled Dutch Man of War in 1619 would be an exercise in futility my friend.
This is a conversation that I could fall asleep to.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
It seems you have a slice of history for everything, slaves weren't really slaves, African slave traders were only trading humans because of the Europeans, etc..

Are you are on here to debate, discuss, or what? It must be nice to be able to pick and choose the history that best suits your agenda that seems to be the never relenting "blame the whites for your position in current times". I am a white American male, what do you want from me?
After reading that...THAT'S all you got out of it? Then, this truly is a lost cause (and thread!)..I guess slavery CAN'T ever be discussed without the things I mentioned in my OP. There will ALWAYS be those who believe the threads have suspicious motives. To that, I can only say and . LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies