U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 02:24 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,863,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
so if you were sitting on this guys jury, listening to all the evidence, and you felt this guy was guilty, could you vote for the death penalty when the punishment phase came around? i certainly could.
I'd offer to throw the switch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 02:27 PM

898 posts, read 1,226,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
you don't the state does.
All governments are absolutely despicable; run by the most dishonest of swine. There is no such thing as an honest judge, lawyer, or lawmaker. That said, only a fool would entrust the state with the power of life and death.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:55 PM

640 posts, read 312,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
so if you were sitting on this guys jury, listening to all the evidence, and you felt this guy was guilty, could you vote for the death penalty when the punishment phase came around? i certainly could.
If she were on a jury in a death penalty case, she would have been asked that question during jury selection. If the answer was no, she would have been disqualified to be on the jury. People who oppose the death penalty are not allowed to be jurors in a death case.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:56 PM

5,300 posts, read 4,399,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I don't have the right to take anyone's life for any reason.
Who am I to make that decision?
So if a homicidal sadistic maniac was killing your child with a knife, and there was a baseball bat sitting forgotten next to you as you walked unexpectedly onto the scene, you wouldn't use it? Hitting the maniac in the head might kill him, but hitting him anywhere else wouldn't disable him (and this is the real-world truth). Would you seriously not try to kill the guy? You really should know that you'd get only one chance in this situation, and anyone who wimped out would not survive--and neither would the child.

In most circumstances, you don't have to protect yourself or others. We've set up a "Justice" System that is supposed to do it for you. We already set it up to allow 100 criminals to go free due to "technicalities" and lack of the overwhelming evidence it takes to get a conviction, for every 1 convicted. These criminals are then free to continue hurting others, since criminal activity is rarely a one-time event.

Only the very worst criminals get the death penalty, and only a tiny portion of those. Most live out their lives with free room, board and health care paid for by the taxpayer. The TV interviews I've seen of serial killers in jail for life, laughing and joking, telling how they had all the free time in the world and no worries, were the ultimate insult to the victims and society.

We've set it up so primarily dumb and/or poor criminals are convicted, with CSI and other shows teaching the more intelligent how to avoid being caught and/or convicted, and O.J. Simpson proving that slick lawyers and a tainted jury pool will let even the most obvious murderer avoid conviction if he's rich enough or a celebrity (though he's in jail now on another crime where a corrupt jury wasn't available to give him another pass).

A criminal that's executed will never commit another crime. Additionally, the Death Penalty saves the lives of future innocent victims: "According to roughly a dozen recent studies, executions save lives. For each inmate put to death, the studies say, 3 to 18 murders are prevented. The effect is most pronounced, according to some studies, in Texas and other states that execute condemned inmates relatively often and relatively quickly." As Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart noted after reviewing the scientific studies: “The death penalty undoubtedly is a significant deterrent.” http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/18/us/18deter.html

Fine if you decide not to defend yourself or your family. But don't fight to tie society's hands in protecting you and your loved ones, or me and my loved ones. If you want to save lives, think of the 3 to 18 victims that would be saved for each and every murderer that is put down (in a manner much kinder than what the victims got).

Old 07-22-2010, 09:42 AM

2,189 posts, read 2,399,984 times
If a person tortues someone to death,then yes, I do say execution, however if it's simple murder like a shooting, I say a life sentence is fine. If all murderers got the death penalty, we'd spend just as much money as we do now. Im some cases, it would be cheaper for the person to just rot in prison.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:44 AM

5,412 posts, read 3,471,661 times
Why do guys like this get women and nice guys die virgins?

Old 07-22-2010, 10:03 AM

2,650 posts, read 1,962,769 times
I also believe that the girlfriend of this man should be charged with accessory to murder.
How in the heck can anyone ,especially a mother with a child of her own witnessing this NOT stop this except to try & show the man how "to use a belt".
Her child needs to removed from her immediately.
She is just as sick as him IMO.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:44 AM

5,412 posts, read 3,471,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
I also believe that the girlfriend of this man should be charged with accessory to murder.
How in the heck can anyone ,especially a mother with a child of her own witnessing this NOT stop this except to try & show the man how "to use a belt".
Her child needs to removed from her immediately.
She is just as sick as him IMO.

I believe her child is dead.

I can take a wild guess that her next boyfriend will be a thug as well. She made her child suffer for her poor choices. I think that should be criminal.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:45 AM

31,385 posts, read 32,081,824 times
You can't undue it?

Old 07-22-2010, 10:49 AM

2,650 posts, read 1,962,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
I believe her child is dead.

I can take a wild guess that her next boyfriend will be a thug as well. She made her child suffer for her poor choices. I think that should be criminal.
No not the mother of the dead child, I was talking about the girlfriend of the childs father who witnessed the beating along with her child who told police what happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies