Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 01:08 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,066,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
EG - Good observation of the local variation in temperature. When I travel from the city to my exurban home the temperature actually increases. This is caused by the city being aired by a sea breeze and my home being in the heated air mass from the southwest. These local effects are one of the things that makes climate science so very interesting.
Try moving to the SF Bay Area if you want interesting. We've got micro-climates out the butt. This year my area has been the coldest summer (and it's usually one of the warmer) I've experienced in nearly 30 years in this area but people just a few miles away in normally cooler spots are baking. In Texas they say "If you don't like the weather, wait ten minutes." Here it's more like drive ten minutes. Our varied weather patterns are because it's a mountainous region right on the coast. The water in this part of the Pacific tends to stay right around 45F. Because of the peaks and valleys that either block or channel air currents, conditions can vary greatly in very short distances.
Because of El Nino, the weather on the Pacific Coast has been somewhat entertaining this year. At least the 4-year drought broke and we finally got some rain......for 6 months non-stop! Even the rain was odd this year. Usually it's kind of chilly when it rains but warms up during the few breaks but this year the rain was unusually warm (still cold mind you) and it got cold during the breaks. I remember waking up one morning in January with bright blue skies and frost in the morning. While that is normal in many parts of the country, that just doesn't happen here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 01:10 PM

20,458 posts, read 12,378,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I'm no scientist engaged in studies to speak on anything with authority but to provide links, but as a person with a keen eye for observation and analytical abilities, I find it impossible to deny human influence on global warming. Where I find a disconnect with extremists (one that blames it all on humans, and the other that denies global warming at any cost), is in the extent. At a micro level, when I drove from Irving to Arlington couple of days ago in the evening, through a scenic route (as scenic as it gets here in Dallas area), I noticed a 4 degree variance in temperature, with the coolest temperature showing up along a stretch of hwy-408 (which is where the scenery is). Cities are warmer than their surroundings, aren't they? Deforestation and concrete jungles, and of course pollution are all contributors. Would you say, no?
heat island effect at its finest

humans certainly impact climate. but are humans forcing climagte to a tipping point? that is a whole other story.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:13 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
heat island effect at its finest

humans certainly impact climate. but are humans forcing climagte to a tipping point? that is a whole other story.
I spoke of two extremists, one that blames it entirely on humans and the other completely disregards any influence. I prefer the middle ground. We certainly play a role. The extent of which is debatable, but I prefer to be cautious when unknowns are involved, than sorry.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:33 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Quote:
It won't stay the same. But don't take solace in that, yet. One degree may not make seem like a lot, to a person, but in nature it can spell trouble, especially when it can have a cumulative effect.

The temperature has fluctuated far more than that and life on planet Earth has marched on.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:24 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I thought weather was not climate?

a half year of data?

I assume by "ever" NASA means since they started taking these global readings? like in the last 30 years?
Cute little ditty I learned:

Weather changes from day to day
the climate we have is here to stay

NO global warming in central OR this year. Yes, it's hotter than hell now, but we barely had a spring and summer started about a week ago. We had snow in June (nothing new really) and the coldest, wettest winter and spring.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:27 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,673,901 times
Hottest 1st half of the year EVER?

EVER is a big word. How far back does EVER go?

Old 07-13-2010, 02:31 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,948,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
So, NASA has released sets of data showing that this January to June has been the hottest January to June on record.

I'm expecting the people who offered snowflakes in Podunk, TX as proof against global warming to now make a 360 and say it is now a reality due to this new data.

Right? Right? Bueller?

The story: NASA: First half of 2010 breaks the thermometer

The data, in case you don't want to believe the source: http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/ta...LB.Ts+dSST.txt
Quote:
using elimination of outliers and homogeneity adjustment
Yep, NASA at its finest.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:44 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,948,893 times
Quote:
I'm no scientist engaged in studies to speak on anything with authority but to provide links, but as a person with a keen eye for observation and analytical abilities, I find it impossible to deny human influence on global warming. Where I find a disconnect with extremists (one that blames it all on humans, and the other that denies global warming at any cost), is in the extent. At a micro level, when I drove from Irving to Arlington couple of days ago in the evening, through a scenic route (as scenic as it gets here in Dallas area), I noticed a 4 degree variance in temperature, with the coolest temperature showing up along a stretch of hwy-408 (which is where the scenery is). Cities are warmer than their surroundings, aren't they? Deforestation and concrete jungles, and of course pollution are all contributors. Would you say, no?
Really? You have a keen eye for observation and analytical abilities? So I assume that when GISS releases temperature records using thier "hemogenization" process, you also go back and check the surface stations they original pull from, the selection process they use as well as look into each of those stations concerning their CRN rating's and the various biases they may have?

Or do you simply assume the process GISS uses is somehow, well, correct because they are big important science like people?

Lets look at some of the problems with GISS and their "homogenization" adjustments, shall we?

Contribution of USHCN and GISS bias in long-term temperature records for a well-sited rural weather station | Watts Up With That?

Quote:
The GISS Adjustment

GISS states that their adjustments reflect corrections for the urban heat island bias in station records. In theory, they adjust stations based on the night time luminosity of the area within which the station is located. This broad-brush approach appears to have failed with regard to the Dale Enterprise station. There is no credible basis for adjusting station data with no micro-climate bias conditions and located on a farm more than a mile from the nearest suburban community, more than three miles from a town and more than 80 miles from a population center of greater than 50,000, the standard definition of a city. Harrisonburg, the nearest town, has a single large industrial operation, a quarry, and is home to a medium sized (but hard drinking) university (James Madison University). Without question, the students at JMU have never learned to turn the lights out at night. Based on personal experience, I’m not sure most of them even go to bed at night. This raises the potential for a luminosity error we might call the “hard drinking, hard partying, college kids” bias. Whether it is possible to correct for that in the luminosity calculations I leave to others. In any case, the lay out of the town is traditional small town America, dominated by single family homes and two and three story buildings. The true urban core of the town is approximately six square blocks and other than the grain tower, there are fewer than ten buildings taller than five stories. Even within this “urban core” there are numerous parks. The rest of the town is quarter-acre and half-acre residential, except for the University, which has copious previous open ground (for when the student union and the bars are closed).

Despite the lack of a basis for suggesting the Dale Enterprise weather station is biased by urban heat island conditions, GISS has adjusted the station data as shown below. Note, this is an adjustment to the USHCN data set. I show this adjustment as it discloses the basic nature of the adjustments, rather than their effect on the actual temperature data.

While only the USHCN and GISS data are plotted, the graph includes the (blue) trend line of the unadjusted actual temperatures.
The GISS adjustments to the USHCN data at Dale Enterprise follow a well recognized pattern. GISS pulls the early part of the record down and mimics the most recent USHCN records, thus imposing an artificial warming bias. Comparison of the trend lines is somewhat difficult to see in the graphic. The trends for the original data, the USHCN data and the GISS data are: 0.24,-0.32, and 0.43 degrees C. per Century, respectively.

If one presumes the USHCN data reflect a “high quality data set”, then the GISS adjustment does more than produce a faster rate of warming, it actually reverses the sign of the trend of this “high quality” data. Notably, compared to the true temperature record, the GISS trend doubles the actual observed warming.
There are numerous other examples of stations concerning this. Its NASA though, they sent a person to the moon, they can't be wrong now can they?

Guess we are just silly deniers. /gasp

Old 07-13-2010, 03:07 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,024,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Really? You have a keen eye for observation and analytical abilities? So I assume that when GISS releases temperature records using thier "hemogenization" process, you also go back and check the surface stations they original pull from, the selection process they use as well as look into each of those stations concerning their CRN rating's and the various biases they may have?

Or do you simply assume the process GISS uses is somehow, well, correct because they are big important science like people?

Lets look at some of the problems with GISS and their "homogenization" adjustments, shall we?

Contribution of USHCN and GISS bias in long-term temperature records for a well-sited rural weather station | Watts Up With That?

There are numerous other examples of stations concerning this. Its NASA though, they sent a person to the moon, they can't be wrong now can they?

Guess we are just silly deniers. /gasp

Impressive!

Old 07-13-2010, 03:10 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Really? You have a keen eye for observation and analytical abilities? So I assume that when GISS releases temperature records using thier "hemogenization" process...
Do you have ANY idea what I was speaking of? And no, it wasn't NASA.

And yes, silly deniers. Are you one of those who claims there is no warming at all?

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 07-14-2010 at 01:35 PM.. Reason: Please discuss the topic, not each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies