Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2010, 01:03 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,615,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
Bold: Everyone? Really? Thats news to me, I for one am someone who doesn't oppose this so your statement is already false.

But have you ever heard the old saying "Can't please everyone?" There will always be those nuts out there who think everyone is out to get them, but they don't make up everyone who lives in the USA.
ever heard of concept of "hyperbole"? Obviously not EVERYONE. But a lot.

I bet you're wife/girlfriend loves to argue with you.

"you always...."

"well, honey...do you mean ALWAYS?"

Old 08-23-2010, 01:19 AM

3,197 posts, read 2,852,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
ever heard of concept of "hyperbole"? Obviously not EVERYONE. But a lot.

I bet you're wife/girlfriend loves to argue with you.

"you always...."

"well, honey...do you mean ALWAYS?"
Take out the first part of my response to your post, un-bold everyone, and I think I still made my point which was, you can't please everyone. You and many others can protest and complain about this "mosque" all you want (after all it is your constitutional right) but I honestly can't figure out for the life of me what everyone is trying to accomplish (those who are against the mosque). Are you expecting through your protesting your stop this from being built? To deny these owners the right to build this on their private property would be unconstitutional. But yes I know this isn't about their rights, its about where it is. As a thread on this forum has already shown quite a few people won't be satisfied until this is built somewhere in the middle east. Once people start arguing that this shouldn't even be built in the United States, then it again becomes a first amendment issue.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:23 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
First, 9-11 wasn't a holocaust. Second, the mass murdering of Natives by whites was more holocaust like. Indians were murdered EVERYWHERE in the U.S. Third, Rightwing churches are EVERYWHERE in the U.S. They seem to have flown pretty well.

then why dont the new york authorities let that catholic church be put back in place right across from where the world trade center was?

Old 08-23-2010, 01:37 AM

15,080 posts, read 8,629,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
People keep bringing in the Constitution on this issue.

No one is saying that they CAN'T build a mosque, we are saying that they SHOULDN'T build it THERE.

Universe of difference.
This is fundamentally true .. but the very misguided who cite the constitution are claiming that the constitution guarantees their right to build it, when in reality, the constitution only prohibits the government from becoming involved.

There is no constitutional right to build a Mosque ... and I challenge anyone to show the text that does. But the issue of government involvement in religious issues seems to have become bastardized to the point of absurdity. And the principle of separation of church and state has been so twisted and confused as to call for government intervention which is actually prohibited by the constitution. By actively prohibiting the display of religious images on public property by private individuals, the government is in fact interfering with the freedom of religious expression of those individuals, citing the backward logic that by not interfering, they would be endorsing the religion. Backward lunatic liberal logic run amuck.

In any event, if anything ... given the nature of Islam being a governing body and not just a religion, if constitutional law were to be appropriately applied, Islam could and should be classified as an agent of a foreign government, which the federal government could indeed regulate.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:55 AM

15,080 posts, read 8,629,287 times
Quote:
To deny these owners the right to build this on their private property would be unconstitutional. But yes I know this isn't about their rights, its about where it is. As a thread on this forum has already shown quite a few people won't be satisfied until this is built somewhere in the middle east. Once people start arguing that this shouldn't even be built in the United States, then it again becomes a first amendment issue.
I've said this already, but I'll address this specifically to you .... show me where in the constitution it grants the right to build a Mosque anywhere? And don't say the 1st Amendment ... I want the specific language that you think can be applied to support such a right.

The 1st amendment prohibits the government from interfering in the freedom of religious expression or establishing a national religion. It does not prohibit individuals from acting in a manner that may be dictated by THEIR religious beliefs, which might include protesting and blocking the construction of an institution hostile to their rights and beliefs, as Islam most certainly is hostile to any other faith besides Islam.

And those behind this are certainly displaying insensitivity to those who simply don't want it built at this location, which is just another form of hostility.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:55 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HC475 View Post
Don't open an Irish pub at Ground Zero because the IRA will hold meetings there...

Don't open a Colombian bakery at Ground Zero because the cartels will be dealing drugs there instead...

Don't open a pizzeria at Ground Zero because it's a mob cash business...

This issue is entirely fueled by prejudice and bigotry... Next, let's tear up the constitution... The browner you are the less we will tolerate you...
The mob,IRA, and Colombian drug lords did not destroy the World Trade Center.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:59 AM

Quote:
You may as well say the same thing about a christian church... but then again some church goers will go and bomb abortion clinics after Sunday mass...
Uhhh a vast majority of the Christians that have attacked abortion clinics have mostly been Protestant. Protestants do not do mass.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:04 AM

Quote:
The entire country of Afghanistan was not responsible for 9/11... You go after the group responsible... not the entire country... That's called war mongering... Uh... Dick Cheney?... Haliburton?
Uhh we did go after the group responsible (the Taliban.) They were the government of Afghanistan.

How old are you? Christ.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:08 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,065,658 times
The bottom line is that it doesn't matter how you feel about it. This is America and under the first Amendment they can build thier church wherever the hell they want.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:26 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
The building is already being used as a mosque with prayer service.
Quote:
The truth about the 'mosque': The leader of proposed Muslim center near Ground Zero defends his plan

From this article:

This was already posted in another thread but it seems to be getting ignored so I think it deserves its own thread, because all this complaining about it is so misguided its not even funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.