Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 02:07 PM

15,080 posts, read 8,629,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post

Daisy Khan wanted to fashion this community center after the 92 ST Y that is also a multicultural center and met with the director. She and her husband also met with various clergy in Manhattan before proceeding. They initially attempted to purchase a building on 23rd st in 1999 but the deal feel through because of financing.

This has become a national news story because politicians and newspapers have used this for their own personal gain playing on the fears of the people.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/11/ny...sque.html?_r=1
I'm going to say it again ... this is an effort to create tensions, and IS a diversion from more important matters such as economy, loss of jobs, and war. But when you look at this closely ... it's not being created by the media ... the flames are being fanned by them, but is not the source.

The source of this are those behind this project, and those funding it, which one source of funding happens to be a Saudi Prince who is part owner of Fox News. This is not a creation of a bigoted public ... it's a natural response of a public that is sick and tired of having people peeing on their leg and telling them that it's just raining.

Any idiot would have anticipated a sour response from the public regarding this alleged "community center", and this is precisely what was anticipated by it's proponents. The talk of it's grand opening to be scheduled on a September 11 date only demonstrates the shear in your face thumbing the nose at the public, and an intentional poke in the eye.

There is a difference between tolerance and and stupidity, and you're seeing a natural backlash from an apathetic public that are beginning to realize just what their apathy gets them ... another poke in the eye. People are getting fed up with the government and special interest groups ... and this psychological war on the public psyche .... they're sick of lying politicians, and sick of political correctness ... and sick of being labeled racists and bigots for simply exercising their own rights and protecting their own interests which are not to be run roughshod over by a group of hostile interlopers who do not share their ideals and values.

And let me tell you ... the status quo democrats and republicans alike are in DEEP WEEDS with the thinking public ...

If you listen carefully you can hear the windows opening ... and what comes next is "I'm Mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore".

Old 08-23-2010, 04:22 PM

57,264 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
I'm going to say it again ... this is an effort to create tensions, and IS a diversion from more important matters such as economy, loss of jobs, and war. But when you look at this closely ... it's not being created by the media ... the flames are being fanned by them, but is not the source.

The source of this are those behind this project, and those funding it, which one source of funding happens to be a Saudi Prince who is part owner of Fox News. This is not a creation of a bigoted public ... it's a natural response of a public that is sick and tired of having people peeing on their leg and telling them that it's just raining.

Any idiot would have anticipated a sour response from the public regarding this alleged "community center", and this is precisely what was anticipated by it's proponents. The talk of it's grand opening to be scheduled on a September 11 date only demonstrates the shear in your face thumbing the nose at the public, and an intentional poke in the eye.

There is a difference between tolerance and and stupidity, and you're seeing a natural backlash from an apathetic public that are beginning to realize just what their apathy gets them ... another poke in the eye. People are getting fed up with the government and special interest groups ... and this psychological war on the public psyche .... they're sick of lying politicians, and sick of political correctness ... and sick of being labeled racists and bigots for simply exercising their own rights and protecting their own interests which are not to be run roughshod over by a group of hostile interlopers who do not share their ideals and values.

And let me tell you ... the status quo democrats and republicans alike are in DEEP WEEDS with the thinking public ...

If you listen carefully you can hear the windows opening ... and what comes next is "I'm Mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore".

The mosque has been in use since July 2009, the public, the local government, community groups were all aware and there was no public outcry. It was not until the NY Post story broke last month that politicians from outside the area, radio talk shows starting fanning the fire. The Imam did no do this behind closed doors on his own, all the clergy and goverment officals were aware.

This response is from politicians using this situation for their own purposes, Lazio, Reid, Paladino, etc are all up for reelection and the radio talk show hosts after increased ratings, controversy sells no matter what the cost. This is a relgion asking to build a house of worship and a community center.

One thing I can agree on is that there are better and more important things for our government to be concerned with like the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, illegal immigration and the economy.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:27 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,692,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
They bought the building because it was vacant and inexpensive but keep on with the theories.
That's not what I heard Daisy say.

As for support and funding, it's difficult to believe there is no connection with Iran when any mentionn of it is deleted or denied.

Ground Zero Mosque: Iranian Connections Scubbed from Website - World

It is reported that Daisy, who now is talking about opposition to the location of the mosque being the result of "hate", is going to be meeting her husband overseas. I wonder if she'll be touring the middle east talking about how hateful Americans are. What was that they said about wanting to build bridges of peace?

Old 10-19-2010, 12:14 AM

154 posts, read 449,447 times
All of you that are against the planned Islamic community center in downtown Manhattan are just a bunch of Ignorant racist bigots! The people behind this project are the type of people you want to see representing muslim-americans. I can't believe the level of ignorance here. You all should be ashamed!

Old 10-19-2010, 06:51 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,692,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPersianJewGurL View Post
All of you that are against the planned Islamic community center in downtown Manhattan are just a bunch of Ignorant racist bigots! The people behind this project are the type of people you want to see representing muslim-americans. I can't believe the level of ignorance here. You all should be ashamed!
Do a little independent research, check the links that have been provided, and then let's talk more. Knee-jerk reactions aren't very conducive to good discussion.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:50 AM

32 posts, read 27,092 times
Republicans should be defending the right of this Community Center to be put up anywhere. Is this not private property? Is there not freedom of religion in this country?

Old 10-19-2010, 12:01 PM

2,564 posts, read 1,595,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
The truth about the 'mosque': The leader of proposed Muslim center near Ground Zero defends his plan

From this article:

This was already posted in another thread but it seems to be getting ignored so I think it deserves its own thread, because all this complaining about it is so misguided its not even funny.
It sounds like YMCA!
And who cares if it's a mosque or not, this is America.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:35 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,852,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiesmom View Post
It sounds like YMCA!
And who cares if it's a mosque or not, this is America.
Exactly. Your point?

Old 10-19-2010, 02:43 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,812,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiiChi View Post
Republicans should be defending the right of this Community Center to be put up anywhere. Is this not private property? Is there not freedom of religion in this country?
Sure they can. That doesn't mean they should.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:47 PM

2,564 posts, read 1,595,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
Exactly. Your point?
I agree with you (I thought I was clear)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies