Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 05:28 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times

Advertisements

I wonder how the Republicans explain their NO votes to their constituents?

It was deregulation that allowed these wild excesses to take place, deregulation championed by Republicans.

It never ceases to amaze me how utterly clueless Republicans can be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 05:29 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Um.. you have that backwards.. before voting YES you would have to have read the bill.. I would EXPECT anyone to vote no until they have time to read the bill in full.. You dont vote yes by default until you read the bill.. you vote NO..
Oh.............thats their excuse. They didnt have time to read it.......lol

Old 07-15-2010, 05:29 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damie View Post
So does this count as Republican Obstructionism? I mean considering what happened on Wall Street and how it affected Main Street why wouldn't you support Wall Street Reform? Oh that's right - because Obama does too. LOL.

I'll give Scott Brown this much - he knows his constituency. Voting lock step with the rest of the Republican Consortium has a short shelf life (if any at all) and alot of them are going to learn this the hard way.

Wall Street reform is nearly the law of the land - Jul. 15, 2010

It is 100% Republican obstructionism... a political ploy for the November elections... However I also think (like Feingold) that this bill does NOT go far enough... who do I have to thank for that? The democrats connected to Big Business... Its an "okay" law but it could of been a LOT better... I would not have been so kind to Wall Street...

Old 07-15-2010, 05:33 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damie View Post
So does this count as Republican Obstructionism? I mean considering what happened on Wall Street and how it affected Main Street why wouldn't you support Wall Street Reform? Oh that's right - because Obama does too. LOL.

I'll give Scott Brown this much - he knows his constituency. Voting lock step with the rest of the Republican Consortium has a short shelf life (if any at all) and alot of them are going to learn this the hard way.

Wall Street reform is nearly the law of the land - Jul. 15, 2010
No, obstructionism would have been if it had failed to pass. Unfortunately, it passed.

Why did Republicans largely, except a few RINOs, vote against it?

Possibly because this bill is a monstrous 2300 pages long with a bunch of non-relavant pork in it.

Possibly because those who are largely responsible for the failures of Freddie Mac/Fannie Mae (Dodd, Frank) had a large hand in crafting this bill. Can you say putting the fox in charge of the hen house?

Possibly because problems of Freddie Mac/Fannie Mae are not even addressed in this bill. As I've stated before, it is like trying to cure malaria while ignoring mosquitoes.

Possibly because there are huge favors to the unions in this bill that have absolutely nothing to do with financial reform.

Possibly because this bill allows the President and Sec. of the Treasury the power to completely by-pass Congress in determining what institutions/corporations the government wil send taxpayer $$ for loans & bailouts. One more step towards making Congress obsolete and placing unbalanced power in the executive branch!

Old 07-15-2010, 05:36 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,364,890 times
It did not matter if it was one party or a bi partisan bill the banksters won, our wimp ass leaders would never bite the hands that feeds them.The {R}s by sitting back and doing hardly nothing will be rewarded because the Wall street money is swinging back there way.Happy days are here again

Old 07-15-2010, 05:44 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,364,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Possibly because there are huge favors to the unions in this bill that have absolutely nothing to do with financial reform.
I have been following this pretty close and I have not seen favors to the union,do you have a link?

Old 07-15-2010, 05:48 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I'm not naive enough to actually believe that a bill put out by bought-and-sold legislators will actually prevent another financial collapse. Is anyone really that naive? Unfortunately, yes.
Way too many are. The MSM says "historic reform since the Great Depression".

What we have is not fixed or strengthened regulations, we have a whole new layer of regulators and oversight committees on top of the regulators.
So the regulators are being regulated now and giving them advice on regulation. Bigger government seems to be the answer of the day.

-If that's the case why wasn't Glass-Steagall reinstated ?
-Way too many new Offices and Committees are formed in addition to what we have now.
-The "skin in the game" regulation for the risky securities only requires the market maker to retain 5%..not alot of skin IMO.
-Banks (like GS) have 7 years to divest of hedge fund trading or turn them into "investment funds" or spin subsidiaries.
-Hedge Funds must disclose but only to the "systemic risk regulator" who reports to the SEC and Congress so investors are still out in the cold.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:50 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post

It was deregulation that allowed these wild excesses to take place, deregulation championed by Republicans.

What deregulation was signed by Republicans? Please educate us clueless Republicans...
Quote:
Oh.............thats their excuse. They didnt have time to read it.......lol
Do you sign legal papers without reading them? I guess some people deserve to be laughed at....

Old 07-15-2010, 05:55 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:

And who signed that repeal of Glass-Steagall back in 1999 ?

Old 07-15-2010, 06:37 PM

89,000 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And who signed that repeal of Glass-Steagall back in 1999 ?
This gentleman right here, who places the blame exactly where it belongs. He knows the truth...

YouTube - Bill Clinton on Democrats and the financial crisis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies