Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you call "RICH"? earning more than;
$50,000 7 5.79%
$85,000 1 0.83%
$125,000 13 10.74%
$200,000 21 17.36%
$500,000 79 65.29%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 01:37 PM

89,019 posts, read 44,824,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
My problem is, is when the children take the money their parents made, and stash it in various locations to simply live off of it. It doesn't help the economy then, as it should. However, if they had that money invested, it would help the economy, and everyone along with it. That, and they'd be able to make money and keep what they inherited.
What? Do you think people just have money stacked on shelves or something? What makes you think it's not invested?

Caveat: The exception to that is that business owners are supposedly currently holding ~$1.8 Trillion on the sidelines - not spending or hiring - because they're all worried about what kind of tax, etc., damage Obama will wreak on them. Way to scare off jobs and an economic recovery, Obama.
washingtonpost.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 01:40 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You are buying a product. The same product costs the same no matter who is buying it. "

When it comes to health insurance I am becoming more cynical. Human value should not be assessed by their net worth in the financial world. I see insurance companies demanding more but offering less with no options for many people. That is not a free market at work.

A British person recently told me they are a "patient not a customer" in their country. While I do not want government run health, unless something becomes more fair balanced again where insurance offers a product for the money they demand again, something is going to have to happen.

A bus driver making 20k a year deserves the same medical treatment without having to break the bank as a CEO making 300k in my opinion. Maybe not beauty or cosmetic treatment but health treatment yes.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
You sound seriously jealous.

Even if rich people just put thier money in the bank, it is still in play.

The bank rents it to others.
Memphis doesn't seem to understand economics...

Old 07-16-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
So what you're saying is that welfare is the poor's way of holding the rest of us hostage? It's blackmail?
That's sure what it sounds like.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:03 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Oh there's still ways around it. Thats why Warren Buffett pays less of a tax rate than I do.
Really? Good example, btw...because Warren Buffet is exactly the perfect example of what Obama's decided is rich...250k a year...right?

Old 07-16-2010, 02:11 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,530,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
why is it your business if someone you dont know lives off their parents?

on the other hand, your plan would have kept Red (dead) Ted Kennedy out of the senate so there might be something to this plan...
Bingo!

Old 07-16-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
Look.. you didn't just find the money on the ground - it came from people.

Plenty of non-rich people probably bought your products/services. You probably employ people who are not rich. Without non-rich people, you would not be rich.
So what is your point? Are you intimating that he shouldn't charge poor people for his service?

He is providing a service of some sort. I am assuming he is not forcing people at gun point to frequent his business!

Of course plenty of "non-rich" people buy his product/service!

Old 07-16-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
BTW, my well rig cost over $500,000.

I saved and paid cash for all my equipment.
Hey, Driller 1 I assumed you were a dentist! lol. I pictured you with a drill in your hand standing over a patient. Guess it's a dfferent kind of drill?

Old 07-16-2010, 02:19 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
When it comes to health insurance I am becoming more cynical. Human value should not be assessed by their net worth in the financial world. I see insurance companies demanding more but offering less with no options for many people. That is not a free market at work.

A British person recently told me they are a "patient not a customer" in their country. While I do not want government run health, unless something becomes more fair balanced again where insurance offers a product for the money they demand again, something is going to have to happen.

A bus driver making 20k a year deserves the same medical treatment without having to break the bank as a CEO making 300k in my opinion. Maybe not beauty or cosmetic treatment but health treatment yes.
Since a person's overall health is a factor of much, much more than just their ability to make an insurance premium payment, you'd better start demanding that everyone have the same food, the same gym equipment, the same personal trainers, the same childhood eating habits, the same genetics, the same yoga instructors, the same personal chefs...if you really want to value everyone's health exactly the same. Because health care does not start at the doctor's office.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:28 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
Quote:
It's private insurance. Not a tiered wage-based insurance plan. You are buying a product. The same product costs the same no matter who is buying it. It'd be like buying bread. Yeah, the cost of bread would be a bigger percentage of the $15k worker, but that's just the cost of the bread.

I mean, where does this end? Same car costs more for one person than another because they can afford it more? Same turnip costs more for one person? Same toll booth pass? Same tampon?

I'm so sad and so sorry that everyone has different backgrounds, work ethics, levels of intelligence, savvy, parental help...and that it results in some people doing much, much better than other people. And having more free income to do things others can't. Or eat better. Or live longer. But to quote my dad from way back in my childhood, "Who said life is fair?"

I agree with everything said except when it come to the part about live. It is one thing to be envious of someone who has lots of money for a magnificent house, auto, boat, things or lifestyle. Those people should not be punished out of envy.

But when it comes to health treatment that is available, life worth should not be determined on how rich someone is and more importantly is not. It comes down to a moral issue of a country on what the real value of life is. And someone being put into a lifetime situation of servatude to pay for health is not living, it is not being free, it is existing in trapment.

I have no problem with insurance getting rich or making profit. What I have a problem with is that it more and more demands more money for less service rendered. With less options for people. They are a industry based on not wanting to serve people, to not want certain customers , hardly a free market. It is a industry based on exploiting the human need to live and be pain free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies