Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you work for a tobacco company?
Yes, I would. 50 64.10%
No, I would not. 28 35.90%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 08:46 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,521,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBaker View Post
Do you realize there are many people out there who do not want to be around your dog because in their minds your dog stinks? In fact, in recent years I have encountered people who will not consider buying a home if they can smell the odor of the sellers pets in the home. In their minds, they will never be able to get the smell out of the house.

The world is full of neurotic people and it seems to be getting worse all of the time.
SCBaker, Sorry, but this has to be one of the lamest posts i have read, EVER! What a rebutal?

First, am I not allowed to voice my opinon, and strongly?

Second, this topic is not about who or what stinks or not! lol!!

And yes, I do realize that some people do not want to be around my dog and that heaven forbid he might STINK! lol. Ridiculous
And trust me, dear, detesting smoking is no sign of being neurotic, it is, in fact, a healthy, normal repulsion/aversion.

Furthermore I don't take my dog to places that he is not wanted, or invited. And sorry, but a smelly pup is NOT a life or death health hazard! Do you seriously not understand the difference between second hand smoke and a smell dog??

I assume you are a smoker?

Last edited by Booya; 07-18-2010 at 08:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 08:54 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,292,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBaker View Post
Do you realize there are many people out there who do not want to be around your dog because in their minds your dog stinks? In fact, in recent years I have encountered people who will not consider buying a home if they can smell the odor of the sellers pets in the home. In their minds, they will never be able to get the smell out of the house.

The world is full of neurotic people and it seems to be getting worse all of the time.
Yeah, and these people are addicted to their neurosis.

Hypersensitive neuroticism comprises the main platform of Political Correctness.

Smoking cigarettes helps me to tolerate the hypersensitive madness.

I am working at perfecting the art of planting smoke rings on the noses of the intolerant.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:55 AM

15,853 posts, read 35,068,861 times
Absolutely.

This is still a free country (last I checked), and as long as there is a market for your business, you have the RIGHT to run it. The day when there are no more smokers, then there will be no more demand for the product, but until such time tobacco companies have just as much right as Pfizer or be here.

I am a non smoker but I believe in smokers rights very strongly.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-18-2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Yeah, and these people are addicted to their neurosis.

Hypersensitive neuroticism comprises the main platform of Political Correctness.

Smoking cigarettes helps me to tolerate the hypersensitive madness.

I am working on perfecting the art of planting smoke rings on the noses of the intolerant.
I have compassion for you and hope you can solve your addiction. But I hope you do respect other people's space and health and avoid hurting them with the second hand smoke.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Absolutely.

This is still a free country (last I checked), and as long as there is a market for your business, you have the RIGHT to run it. The day when there are no more smokers, then there will be no more demand for the product, but until such time tobacco companies have just as much right as Pfizer or be here.

I am a non smoker but I believe in smokers rights very strongly.

20yrsinBranson
I have no problem with people having the choice to smoke, at all. It is just like drinking, drugging, riding a motorcycle without a helmet and any number of other high risk behaviors. As long as you are an adult and accept the risk and take responsibility for your health. You can smoke to your hearts content.
However, it ends where other people's heart, lungs, and NOSE begins. No one has said ANYTHING about mandateas on smoking yet your posts intimates we have.

I feel sorry for smokers and have empathy for their addiction. I have seen how it has destroyed so many. And I have never met a smoker who deep down didn't want desparately to quit.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:04 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,861,625 times
Considering how many times I have been accused of being a tobacco company plant; I might as well.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
I have compassion for you and hope you can solve your addiction. But I hope you do respect other people's space and health and avoid hurting them with the second hand smoke.

YouTube - smoke rings

Old 07-18-2010, 09:09 AM

37,769 posts, read 40,902,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelution View Post
I wanted to know if you would work for the tobacco industry, and would you feel comfortable being employed there. I personally would. Just wanted to hear your opinion. Thanks.
Do you have to go outside for a "fresh air" break?

I'm retired so this is hypothetical but I'd be more willing to consider it if the government comes down against it. It's about resisting control.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:13 AM

15,853 posts, read 35,068,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
However, it ends where other people's heart, lungs, and NOSE begins. No one has said ANYTHING about mandateas on smoking yet your posts intimates we have.
You are absolutely correct. That is why I support no smoking in government buildings, elevators, hospitals - and other places where people must go and do not have the luxury of choice (although I suppose they could use the stairs). However, restaurants, bars, yes - even grocery stores, are places that you CHOOSE to go, therefore, if there is smoking going on - you can CHOOSE not to go there and be subjected to people smoking. Nobody forces anyone to go to restaurants where smoking is permitted.

In this day and age, anyone who ends up in someone elses cigarette smoke, has made the conscious decision to do so.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-18-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Do you have to go outside for a "fresh air" break?

I'm retired so this is hypothetical but I'd be more willing to consider it if the government comes down against it. It's about resisting control.
Well, it's like a judge told my mother once, "My, but you're a belligerent young lady"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies