Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2010, 01:18 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitsua View Post
Why are you not convinced she cannot find a job? Is that because you "believe" every person who wants a job in this country can find one?

If that is true, then why have the unemployment numbers shot up so dramatically in the past couple years? As I've asked already, do you think that all those unemployed people just got together and decided to get themselves fired or laid off so they could live on barely subsistance income for the next 93 weeks?

I believe that the unemployment numbers actually disprove your belief in the myth that today, in 2010, EVERY PERSON WHO WANTS A JOB CAN FIND A JOB. There are NOT enough jobs to go around.

Your son cleans your vet's dog kennels. Do you think your vet would hire a 50-something yr old woman to clean his/her dog kennels on Saturdays, especially if he didn't know her. clearly the fact that the your son is cleaning YOUR vet's dog kennels suggest some "networking" there. You take your pets to that vet, and that vet hires your son.
Yes, I do think there are jobs to be had, no not for everyone.

What city and state is this in??

BTW, it is my niece. Not son.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:20 PM

640 posts, read 388,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Again, you can give your money anytime.

Mine you will never get.
With all due respect, you're side stepping the issue. I am not advocating that you give anyone money, however, some of your tax money does go to social services, so you do contribute to helping the less fortunate whether or not you like it.

Can't you think of anything that could be done to help thousands and thousands of people like this person?

How about work programs?

Old 07-17-2010, 01:22 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
Are you in your 50s? Are you overweight? Do you have a college degree? Do you have a large social network?
None of that is societies fault. And she has been able to, and still can, change some of that all by herself. But if she won't, well, someone with absolutely nothing going on for themselves should just apply for welfare and be done with it because that's as good as it's going to get. This has nothing to do with UE benefits and I don't feel bad at all.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Yes, I do think there are jobs to be had, no not for everyone.

What city and state is this in??

BTW, it is my niece. Not son.
So you know that there are NOT jobs for EVERYONE. What do we do about those people?

I have already stated I don't know what city or state the woman in the Op is in. However, I would think this kind of scenario is not limited to one state or one city; I think it could be found all over the country.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:25 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,449,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by email_lover View Post
A woman I know has no close family and just went through her 93 weeks of unemployment insurance. She sent out hundreds of resumes, and applied in person at about every retail and fast food place in town. Nothing. She just can not find a job. She went through all her savings and now has nothing left. She can't pay her rent and has no credit left on our credit cards and owes thousands. She has about $36 dollars left in her bank account and has sold most of her things.

As a single woman with no kids, is she eligible for welfare, rent subsidies, food stamps, etc? She is able bodied but just can not find a job. She has no disabilities and is a white legal American. Again her family is dead. (Mom and Dad passed away and no siblings)

What should she do and what is societies role to help her?
Here's a typical right-winger response for you:

She should just die. We owe her nothing. She must be an evil Marxist liberal who hates America. She must be lazy and not want to work. It's her own fault. God bless America. I feel so proud.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
With all due respect, you're side stepping the issue. I am not advocating that you give anyone money, however, some of your tax money does go to social services, so you do contribute to helping the less fortunate whether or not you like it.

Can't you think of anything that could be done to help thousands and thousands of people like this person?

How about work programs?
And that is why I spend my money on new equipment rather than pay taxes.

Doing it that way makes JOBS!!!

Old 07-17-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
So you know that there are NOT jobs for EVERYONE. What do we do about those people?

I have already stated I don't know what city or state the woman in the Op is in. However, I would think this kind of scenario is not limited to one state or one city; I think it could be found all over the country.
And it also works great for stopping us from seeing the FACTS in that area.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:29 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
clearly the fact that the your son is cleaning YOUR vet's dog kennels suggest some "networking" there. You take your pets to that vet, and that vet hires your son

And what's wrong with networking? Ok we get that she doesn't have any family but that doesn't mean that she doesn't have any friends

Old 07-17-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
None of that is societies fault. And she has been able to, and still can, change some of that all by herself. But if she won't, well, someone with absolutely nothing going on for themselves should just apply for welfare and be done with it because that's as good as it's going to get. This has nothing to do with UE benefits and I don't feel bad at all.
How do you know that she "won't" change anything. Why would you even suggest that she wouldn't? Is there a bias in there somewhere?

I'm not talking about blame here. I'm asking the question, what will or can we, as a society, do for people who diligently look for work, for years even, cannot find work, do not have a family for support, and find themselves in their older years out on the streets, hungry and homeless?

Do you just turn your head when you see homeless people struggling to get through the day? It's their fault, so let them suffer. Hmmm. Interesting.

I know very little about the specific woman the OP talks about other than she is 50-something yrs old and overweight. I do think that finding work in your 50s would be hard even in a good economy......plus a woman in her 50s, overweight, makes it even harder. No doubt she will lose weight when she has no food, but what if she has a thyroid problem? So many, many factors to consider.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
How do you know that she "won't" change anything. Why would you even suggest that she wouldn't? Is there a bias in there somewhere?

I'm not talking about blame here. I'm asking the question, what will or can we, as a society, do for people who diligently look for work, for years even, cannot find work, do not have a family for support, and find themselves in their older years out on the streets, hungry and homeless?

Do you just turn your head when you see homeless people struggling to get through the day? It's their fault, so let them suffer. Hmmm. Interesting.

I know very little about the specific woman the OP talks about other than she is 50-something yrs old and overweight. I do think that finding work in your 50s would be hard even in a good economy......plus a woman in her 50s, overweight, makes it even harder. No doubt she will lose weight when she has no food, but what if she has a thyroid problem? So many, many factors to consider.
And what if she is tested and found to be a genius??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies