U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-18-2010, 06:40 PM
 
Location: North America
5,953 posts, read 4,791,370 times
Reputation: 1936

Advertisements

I thought the hatred of Bill Clinton's policies were intense in the 90s.

But it seems that there is something about Barack Obama that conservatives truly think is evil.

What's going on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-18-2010, 06:44 PM
 
31,372 posts, read 32,716,871 times
Reputation: 14904
That's a hard one. They've yet to my to link Obama with a murder (see Vince Foster). Maybe that's next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2010, 06:59 PM
 
Location: it depends
6,073 posts, read 5,459,358 times
Reputation: 5773
OK, I'll bite.

1. When Clinton learned that the people were not behind his health care plan, and a successful vote in Congress would be nearly impossible, he did not start a bidding war for votes, he did not start cutting special deals for whole states, he did not strong-arm senators and congressmen, and he did not agree to issue phony executive orders to win votes.

2. No one doubted Clinton's sincere belief in American exeptionalism.

3. Clinton never ran over investors (like Obama did with GM bondholders and Chrysler secured lenders) to make a payoff to a political crony (UAW).

4. Clinton never spoke the word "profit" as if it were a vile and disgusting thing, instead of the source of American prosperity.

In my opinion, Clinton was the first president to put "the permanent campaign" into practice, and that was loathsome. He was no peach, but after the 1994 stomping, he quit trying to lead the country to where it just wasn't going--and started to work on important issues on a bipartisan basis. So far, Obama has been the most partisan president in recent history although he holds the record for talking about bipartisanship.

Clinton was no idealogue--he was a practical leader.

Points 2, 3 and 4 above make us worry that the whole root of American prosperity is at risk in the Obama agenda. That is why you sense a much deeper opposition to Obama.

I would certainly count as "conservative" in an economic sense, which by the way is incensed by either party catering to special interests whether it is Republicans and Halliburton or the Democrats and the UAW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2010, 07:18 PM
 
33,127 posts, read 27,552,250 times
Reputation: 19682
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
OK, I'll bite.

1. When Clinton learned that the people were not behind his health care plan, and a successful vote in Congress would be nearly impossible, he did not start a bidding war for votes, he did not start cutting special deals for whole states, he did not strong-arm senators and congressmen, and he did not agree to issue phony executive orders to win votes.

2. No one doubted Clinton's sincere belief in American exeptionalism.

3. Clinton never ran over investors (like Obama did with GM bondholders and Chrysler secured lenders) to make a payoff to a political crony (UAW).

4. Clinton never spoke the word "profit" as if it were a vile and disgusting thing, instead of the source of American prosperity.

In my opinion, Clinton was the first president to put "the permanent campaign" into practice, and that was loathsome. He was no peach, but after the 1994 stomping, he quit trying to lead the country to where it just wasn't going--and started to work on important issues on a bipartisan basis. So far, Obama has been the most partisan president in recent history although he holds the record for talking about bipartisanship.

Clinton was no idealogue--he was a practical leader.

Points 2, 3 and 4 above make us worry that the whole root of American prosperity is at risk in the Obama agenda. That is why you sense a much deeper opposition to Obama.

I would certainly count as "conservative" in an economic sense, which by the way is incensed by either party catering to special interests whether it is Republicans and Halliburton or the Democrats and the UAW.
well said

though i will dispute you are at least one point, once clinton go tin office, he actually quit campaigning and started working. clinton was a realist, and even though i disagreed with his political views, i also believe that he had the best for america in his heart. clinton also had the foresight to let the machine work, and not to try and change its direction, unless it was needed, and then he had the political capital to make the needed changes in direction because he wasnt forcing things to happen.

as for obama and clinton as people, i dont despise them. in fact it is very possible that if i were to meet them in person, i might try to make friends with them. i dont care about the color of a persons skin, i dont care what they do for a living, i care about their character. i have liberal friends that i completely disagree with, but the are still my friends. i can separate policy from the individual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2010, 07:29 PM
 
9 posts, read 7,421 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Clinton never spoke of the word "profit" as if it were a vile and disgusting thing, instead of the source of American prosperity.
Sounds like Clinton was not a vile and disgusting communist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2010, 07:36 PM
 
Location: it depends
6,073 posts, read 5,459,358 times
Reputation: 5773
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeah14 View Post
Sounds like Clinton was not a vile and disgusting communist.
Way to cut to the chase...although I would not phrase it that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2010, 07:38 PM
 
3,767 posts, read 3,995,178 times
Reputation: 1388
As much as I disagree with them politically, I don't despise either of these men.

And from reading the previous posts it seems like many of my fellow CD members feel the same way.

I see this as a big difference between republicans and those on that left that just despised President Bush and Cheney and pretty much all Republicans and couldn't say enough vile and horrible things about them. Including, recently on this forum, wishing Cheney death. Horrible.

And I agree with the previous poster who said he disagreed with Clinton but thought he had the countries best interest in mind.

And yes, although Clinton lied under oath and truly shamed himself with his loathsome behavior I think he has some likeable qualities, and I think he was probably truly sorry that he hurt his family, especially his daughter.

But Obama, though I don't despise him, I don't trust him, want him out of office and do not think he has our countries best interest in mind. And I don't find him likeable in the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2010, 07:47 PM
 
Location: North America
5,953 posts, read 4,791,370 times
Reputation: 1936
Republicans Get a Pep Talk From Rush Limbaugh - NYTimes.com

Quote:
Mr. Limbaugh said President Clinton's new nominee for surgeon general would be Pee-wee Herman. He also said he had a copy of the White House drug test -- a multiple-choice examination. "Complete the following verse," he read. "I am the walrus. A: You are the taxman. B: La la la la la la. C: Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? D. Koo-koo-ka-choo."
Open Season on Clinton's Veracity - What the Whitewater Fuss Is About - NYTimes.com

Quote:
Q. Is President Bill Clinton in trouble?
A. Politically, he is in big trouble. A growing number of Americans think he did something wrong or illegal in the so-called Whitewater affair, but they're not sure what. Republicans are maintaining a drumbeat of criticism and demanding hearings in Congress. Journalists are scratching for every shred of new material.
In short, it is open season on Bill Clinton's veracity, even though critics can only speculate on what he might have done. If the storm does not abate, Democrats may be hurt in the November congressional elections.
Q. But did the president do anything wrong?
A. No evidence has yet emerged of unlawful acts by the president or his wife, Hillary.
However, federal banking regulators looking into the collapse of Madison Guaranty Savings & Loan in Arkansas have named the Clintons as possible beneficiaries of questionable Madison transactions during the 1980s. A former business partner of the Clintons' ran the bank.
While the regulators did not imply wrongdoing by the Clintons, their conclusion does raise questions. In recent days, credible reports suggest that the Clintons may at least have to pay back taxes related to a real estate venture that kept an account at Madison.
Ethically, the Clintons may be vulnerable because federal officials overseeing banking regulation held private discussions with aides to Mr. and Mrs. Clinton to alert the White House to investigators' procedures.
Pretty mild stuff...no mention of Bill and Hillary being Nazis who preach Black Liberation Theology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2010, 08:13 PM
 
48,509 posts, read 85,585,563 times
Reputation: 18103
Clinton got along fine with business and moderate republcians. The same can not be sadi of Obama. That is likley why Obama has had Clinton at the white round table with business.Rememebr it was Clinton who raise the hackles of the left i the democratic aprty by warnig that no presdient can govern unless they move tot eh center. It even brought racist charges aginst him and Hillary by the left wing of the party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2010, 08:21 PM
 
19,215 posts, read 13,295,271 times
Reputation: 2337
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
That's a hard one. They've yet to my to link Obama with a murder (see Vince Foster). Maybe that's next.
A murder?

Maybe multiple singularity, an unexplored dimension.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top