Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2010, 08:43 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,450,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Supposedly she was taken out of context and was relating a story from years ago...but still.

It demonstrates a serious lack of judgment. Obviously the USDA has a zero-tolerance policy for this sort of thing, and I support that fully.

It is appropriate to fire her - but seriously, what Federal crime do you think she committed here? She exercised her First Amendment rights - stupidly, but it's still her right to make a damn fool of herself if she so desires.

Or are you that far too common species of conservative that thinks it is OK for the government to jail people for their opinions?
It was discrimination which happens to be illegal, not just a simple opinion.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:44 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Quote:
Supposedly she was taken out of context and was relating a story from years ago...but still.

It demonstrates a serious lack of judgment. Obviously the USDA has a zero-tolerance policy for this sort of thing, and I support that fully.

It is appropriate to fire her - but seriously, what Federal crime do you think she committed here? She exercised her First Amendment rights - stupidly, but it's still her right to make a damn fool of herself if she so desires.

Or are you that far too common species of conservative that thinks it is OK for the government to jail people for their opinions?
Discrimination is a crime.

Since you noted my conservatism, it's safe to assume that you're left leaning. Which doesn't surprise me that you'd absolve this woman of her crime and chalk it up to an opinion. How convenient. And so very surprising.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:55 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,128,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
It was discrimination which happens to be illegal, not just a simple opinion.
It was a story of something that happened long ago.

Now I am not sure I believe her explanation - and I'm not sure it matters - but I seriously doubt she could be criminally prosecuted for merely telling the story.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Discrimination is a crime.

Since you noted my conservatism, it's safe to assume that you're left leaning. Which doesn't surprise me that you'd absolve this woman of her crime and chalk it up to an opinion. How convenient. And so very surprising.
Show me where she gets jail time for telling this story. Cite the law.

Also, you have dishonestly represented my position. I hope that is not a habit with you. I absolved her of nothing, and indeed said I thought her firing was appropriate.

So why would you lie about what I said, when anyone can simply scroll up and read it for themselves?

Very disappointing indeed. And your assumption that I am "left" is incorrect as well, unless we use a defintion of "left" that I've never heard of.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:57 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,450,045 times
Quote:

Now I am not sure I believe her explanation - and I'm not sure it matters - but I seriously doubt she could be criminally prosecuted for merely telling the story.
Well that depends really. What's the statute of limitations on that sort of thing? I don't know what it is, but she sure can be fired and villified for it and rightfully so.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:59 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,704,134 times
Quote:
When you are employed to do a certain job, it is not up to you what kind of service you give the customers. The customer is always right no matter what they are saying, within a certain degree. It is not up to you to "interpret" things the way you WANT to hear them and decide on what service you are going to give them from there. Anyone doing that should find themselves on the unemployment line.
Well....that happens all the time, but I do agree with you. You cannot allow personal feelings to influence the job you do, but that happens more often than not if, especially if you are dealing with someone who is being an .

Just as a little story for an aside, I remember when my friend was working at McDonalds when we were teenagers. By the way, this is a story that he told to me. He said some guy came in the store cursing and yelling at him to hurry up and fix his burger. He said that it pissed him off so he scrapped up crud from the grill and put it on the guys burger. The guy sat down and ate the burger then came back up to the counter and my friend said he started taking off his gear to prepare to fight this dude and the dude said "Man! That is the best damn burger I had in my life. Can you make me another one just like it?" LOL....my friend said he then got more crude scraped from the grill and put it on another burger...LOL

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-20-2010 at 11:13 AM.. Reason: language

Old 07-20-2010, 08:59 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,844,267 times
Quote:

So discrimination is ok with you?

Old 07-20-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Well that depends really. What's the statute of limitations on that sort of thing? I don't know what it is, but she sure can be fired and villified for it and rightfully so.
I agree she should be fired and villified.

Also, civil rights statutes provide that she could be held personally LIABLE (civilly) for statutory damages. I am not aware of any provision that results in her being thrown into Federal prison.

Problem is, there is no plaintiff here. It's just a story.

So my punishment for pointing this out is to have my posts misrepresented by people (not you) and I get called a "leftist."

Why?

Old 07-20-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
So discrimination is ok with you?
Did I say it was?

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?

I meant what I said, and said what I meant. I think we could all do without the straw man argument fallacy here.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:08 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Quote:
Show me where she gets jail time for telling this story. Cite the law.

Also, you have dishonestly represented my position. I hope that is not a habit with you. I absolved her of nothing, and indeed said I thought her firing was appropriate.

So why would you lie about what I said, when anyone can simply scroll up and read it for themselves?

Very disappointing indeed. And your assumption that I am "left" is incorrect as well, unless we use a defintion of "left" that I've never heard of.
Misrepresented? Not quite. Your position is that firing is appropriate. Discrimination is a crime. The fact that you don't believe it's a crime is indeed absolving her.

And to top it all off, you actually believe that you have a leg to stand on regarding a law citation. LOL

This is as low as I will stoop with you:

AP source: USDA offers discrimination settlement - Inform (http://inform.com/crime-and-law/ap-source-usda-offers-discrimination-settlement-944492a - broken link)

Yes, a crime was committed. Otherwise settlements such as these would have never been reached. You don't settle lawsuits worth billions of dollars over an "opinion," as you so brilliantly offered as just.

Furthermore, the word "discrimination" was used by the Secretary of Agriculture in his repudiation of this person. Why do you speak before you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies