Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 01:56 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,987 times

Advertisements

In case you haven't heard, the Washington Post did a massive two year investigation into government intelligence over many objections from a variety of government sources. Frontline will air a series of programs this fall but you can check out the store and the amazing website presentation.

I've surfed the site and have to admit, I was amazed at not only how deep the rabbit hole goes but just how many their are. Truly a ground breaking piece of journalism in these times when most media are content to sit at White House press briefings and regurgitate the state line.

Seems there is even controversy among people as to whether the Washington Post went too far and as one administration official called it, “roadmap to our enemies”. Do you think they went too far?

Top Secret America | washingtonpost.com

A hidden world, growing beyond control | washingtonpost.com

I particularly enjoyed the maps and interconnections pages as follows

Top Secret America: Interactive map | washingtonpost.com

Top Secret America: Who is TSA? | washingtonpost.com

List of companies involved and data acquired and used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 03:00 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,472,574 times
Not surprised this is getting mildly ignored on this forum (I posted the article earlier and received no traction).

A co-author was interviewed on DemocracyNow "Top Secret America" _Washington Post_ Investigation Reveals Massive, Unmanageable, Outsourced US Intelligence System.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:01 PM

Washington Post's 'Top Secret America' project raises questions about intelligence community

Washington Post's 'Top Secret America' project raises questions about intelligence community

Quote:
Included are documents showing that 1,271 government organizations and 1931 private companies work on programs relation to intelligence in 10,000 locations across the United States. The website features an interactive map in which readers can look up the thousands of intelligence community locations. The project also reveals that 854,000 people now have top-secret security clearances and 33 building complexes have been under construction for the intelligence community since 9/11.
Nearly a million people with top security clearance, and we thought there were leaks before...

Lets see, Bush progressed massive expansion of the government, abandoned any notion of fiscal responsibility (death of fiscal conservatism) and set in motion an almost Enemy of the State movie scenario, yippy!

Even more ironic, Obama took this ball and has run with it. I told yall back in 2007, be cautious about granting the Bush administration so much authority because one day the oppositional party will hold office and you won't be so happy then. As to those on the left, how does it feel to support a neoconservative/neoliberal styled President these days?

(waves hello at government, neener neener)

Old 07-19-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
Not surprised this is getting mildly ignored on this forum (I posted the article earlier and received no traction).

A co-author was interviewed on DemocracyNow "Top Secret America" _Washington Post_ Investigation Reveals Massive, Unmanageable, Outsourced US Intelligence System.
Sorry about that FinkieMcGee, I did a quick scan of topics and didn't see it.

However, this is one of those subjects where those folks who play the left vs right football game always end up eating crow. These sorts of things are justified when a party they support does it, but wrong when the oppositional party does it. Meanwhile it gets done regardless.

Now I wonder, If I were to lay on a lounge chair naked on my porch, unseen by anyone but a government satellite, could I still be charged for indecent exposure? (chuckling)

Old 07-19-2010, 03:14 PM

1,805 posts, read 1,466,155 times
I heard one of the authors on NPR this afternoon. I can't say I am surprised at this. Its been building for decades but just went into hyperdrive post 9/11. I think its well known the best way to CYA in government is to slap a "national security/top secret" designation on anything you don't wish to see the light of day. A prime example is the litigation involved with former workers exposed to toxic waste at area 51. The government uses sights like that to skirt environmental regulations on toxic waste disposal and hides it under the umbrella of secrecy.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:18 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Many of the redundant agencies are because they wanted multiple people, in different locations, looking at the same thing.

Most of the employees with TS security clearance listed are people like janitors, secretaries, etc, who have to have TS clearance to work in these places. That doesn't mean they spend all of their time sitting around looking at TS documents.

Its probably to big, and needs to be shrunk for sure. However, this is what you get when you have 10 years of limitless budget, and a demand for action from the people.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:29 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
What does the government plan as a reaction to the Frontline stories?
If they are surprising, why hasn't the government taken steps to prevent such news reaching the public? (Think back to Daniel Ellsberg and the Pentgaon Papers).
The general public will blame the current administration (whoever that might be at any given time) as a deceitful government worthy of suspicion and contempt.
Could all this be a masterful red-herring?
I will wonder why the secret agencies are not doing anything to stop the airing of this program. It doesn't smell well to me.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:32 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,684,994 times
Merge similar thread(s)?
USA: A Nation Of Spies.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
What does the government plan as a reaction to the Frontline stories?
If they are surprising, why hasn't the government taken steps to prevent such news reaching the public? (Think back to Daniel Ellsberg and the Pentgaon Papers).
The general public will blame the current administration (whoever that might be at any given time) as a deceitful government worthy of suspicion and contempt.
Could all this be a masterful red-herring?
I will wonder why the secret agencies are not doing anything to stop the airing of this program. It doesn't smell well to me.
If you have read any of the accompanying articles, you will have noticed that several government agencies have protested, some adamantly. The Washington Post did hold some information back after some discussions, after an unspecified agency made a proper case.

I've spent a bit more time surfing their site and continue to be amazed at just how much it has all expanded post 9-11. I look forward to watching the Frontline series on this coming out this fall as Frontline is one of the few decent hold outs of comprehensive journalism left these days.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Many of the redundant agencies are because they wanted multiple people, in different locations, looking at the same thing.

Most of the employees with TS security clearance listed are people like janitors, secretaries, etc, who have to have TS clearance to work in these places. That doesn't mean they spend all of their time sitting around looking at TS documents.

Its probably to big, and needs to be shrunk for sure. However, this is what you get when you have 10 years of limitless budget, and a demand for action from the people.
Don't you mean "Top secret custodial engineer?", I feel a reality show on the make.

It is an interesting point and is probably a very good measure of how much expansion is taking place. I mean no one is going to reveal spy nets, agents, ect..., however the janitors and cleaning ladies assigned to clean top secret offices, well, interesting means of measurement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies