Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 05:45 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times

Advertisements

While poking my nose around CNN.com in the past few minutes I came across an article highlighting the continued plight of gays/lesbians in this nation at a time when the Gay Civil Rights Movement is stronger than ever. I was alarmed to read an article about Anthony Wilfert, a former Army sargeant who was discharged after the military learned of his sexual orientation. At a time when politicians are scrambling to avoid negative public backlash associated with mandatory extensions for our straight servicemen and servicewomen, they find no fault in willingly-dismissing thousands of their able-bodied and content peers simply because of whom they happen to be in relationships with? Explain that one to me please.

Furthermore, I'm outraged to learn that it is still legal in 33 states for employers to fire their employees based upon their sexual orientations. More than 113,000 hate crimes have been committed since 1991, and 14% of them were based upon sexual orientation. Congress is attempting to add gender, sexual orientation, and disability to the categories already covered by the federal hate crimes law, a move President Bush, an unabashed homophobe and bigot, has already promised to veto.

I also found it amusing to note that all eight Democratic presidential candidates said they would like to alter the "Don't ask; don't tell" policy to finally allow gay men and women to serve in the military while all ten Republican candidates said they would decline taking action. Republicans actually wonder why so many Democrats, Libertarians, and Independents are turned-off by them when they continuously take unethical stances like this on important societal issues? If I'm willing to lay down my life to fight for this great nation, then why should I be refused the ability to do so simply because I'm gay. If me being out in Basra can take one of my straight counterparts home to visit his/her newborn child, then why oppose it? Besides, with the very, very hostile way things have been going on this forum as of late, I'm assuming most would be happy to "kill two birds with one stone" by replacing all of our straight servicemen and servicewomen with their gay/lesbian counterparts to kill off as many of us as possible in the process to quell the Civil Rights Movement, right?

I'm tired of you Republicans giving us the uneducated responses of "If you don't like it; move to Canada," or "Stop trying to shove your sinful agenda down our throats." First of all, why should I "give up" on waging a civil fight worth fighting in order to move to a nation where people are friendlier and more "progressive?" Why can't I toil laboriously and dilligently on American soil to bring those same great qualities that are enjoyed by Canadians and Europeans here? Also, what "sinful agenda" do you Republicans always rant and rave about? I didn't realize Jesus would disapprove of someone standing up for their own basic human rights, such as wanting to be protected from hate crimes in legislation or even, God forbid, visiting their ailing loved ones in the hospital. When did the good Lord that I know become so callous and mean-spirited? Some of you right-wing, Evangelical fundamentalists truly need to take a deep breath and look at people like me without being up on the pedestals that you like to perch yourselves upon. We all bleed the same color blood, drink the same potable water, commute on the same freeways, and pay taxes to the same governing bodies. Why then are we still being viewed as "second-class citizens" by you all?

Can I please have an INTELLIGENT response to these serious inquiries besides "Thou art hellbound" or "Adam and Eve; not Adam and Steve?" Thank you.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:46 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,145,727 times
It's perfectly legal - there is no US law preventing it - but is it ethical?

I think not.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:50 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
It's perfectly legal - there is no US law preventing it - but is it ethical?

I think not.
Thanks for the civilized response. As a future employer myself, I would never turn down the chance to hire an otherwise outstanding employee over something as superficial as gender, hair color, or...gasp...who they come home to in the evenings. I've received several "Employee of the Month" awards from my two employers, so I'm far from being incapable of performing my responsibilities in a dilligent manner due to my sexual orientation. Why, then, can other employers fire me at random because of this? Where's the logic there?

Old 06-22-2007, 05:57 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,290,241 times
I could maybe see very specific instances where maybe this would be justified, but very few......

I'm talking like a gay Athletic Trainer for a men's basketball team or something.

Other than that??? I can't see any reason to support a stance like this.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:58 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,467,844 times
The problem with gays in the military is like putting foxes in the hen house. I would also be against a male that is attracted to females to be housed and shower with them and vise versa.

hOW SOMEONE LIKES THEIR SEX SHOULD NOT BE PART OF ANY HATE CRIMES BILLS. aLL CRIME IS DERIVED FROM SOME FORM OF HATE AND WE ALL SHOULD BE ENTITLED TO EQUAL PROTECTION UNDER THE LAW, NOT SPECIAL PROTECTION UNDER THE LAW.

sorry about the caps I didn't realize I hit the key.

Old 06-22-2007, 06:01 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,467,844 times
Also I don't know why someone must announce they are gay. What you do in your bedroom should stay in your bedroom.

Old 06-22-2007, 06:02 PM

citigirl not to get off the subject but you ought to understand that someone who commits a hate crime has the same motivation as a terrorist - to terrorize a community into less freedom.

Old 06-22-2007, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
Also I don't know why someone must announce they are gay. What you do in your bedroom should stay in your bedroom.
So maybe we should ask all the straights to remove their wedding bands, take down family pictures and never discuss what they did over the weekend.

Old 06-22-2007, 06:04 PM

10,175 posts, read 11,158,716 times
I don't think anyones sexual preference should stop them from getting a job, or getting fired from a job, unless they're doing naughty things while working.

Old 06-22-2007, 06:19 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,206,341 times
Termination from employment should be based upon violations of the written standards of conduct, and this should not include sexual orientation.

When it comes to the military, I have to say that I'm not so sure I'm against expulsion of gays from field military service. Many of the military jobs like supply or finance would be acceptable to me, but field combat is a pretty unique environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.