Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 09:20 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times

Advertisements

Do you have a favorable opinion of the CIA? On the fence? Outright despise the Agency and its mission?

What exactly has influenced your position?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 09:23 PM

245 posts, read 585,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Do you have a favorable opinion of the CIA? On the fence? Outright despise the Agency and its mission?

I think that if you make a prosperous career out of being wrong most of the time, that makes you a very intelligent person.
Hence the the "Intelligence" in their name.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banevader View Post
I think that if you make a prosperous career out of being wrong most of the time, that makes you a very intelligent person.
Hence the the "Intelligence" in their name.
I'm not sure whether to agree or disagree. Very intriguing post!

I'll have to weigh in that being "wrong" is not the right choice of words though. I think being a "professional liar" and fooling the entire world while accomplishing big things makes you a very intelligent entity.

Agree or disagree?

Old 07-20-2010, 09:38 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post

I met an ex-CIA operative, free lance, whose assignment once was to drive a Volkswagon bug from Texas to some place in South America. The body was made of 24k gold, painted over.

He enjoyed his work and he always had choice of assignments.

I didn't answer your question because . . . you may be he.

I don't want to catch the hebe jebies.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
I met an ex-CIA operative, free lance, whose assignment once was to drive a Volkswagon bug from Texas to some place in South America. The body was made of 24k gold, painted over.

He enjoyed his work and he always had choice of assignments.

I didn't answer your question because . . . you may be he.

I don't want to catch the hebe jebies.
LOL..interesting story! I'd say being a fly on the wall in the CIA building would be quite a stroke of luck for the fly in question! Unless, of course, they insert a miniature listening device on its back and send him to Afghanistan.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:56 PM

946 posts, read 2,603,328 times
An American agency that should have had its funding trimmed long ago; as it currently exists, the CIA has led America into far to many ethical and ultimately unlawful situations.

The CIAs worst fault is acting as a foreign policy arm, for which they are neither authorized nor equipped.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:00 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
considering the kinds of things they are sent out to do, and the nature of covert operations, i have i a high opinion of the CIA and other intelligence agencies. two of my uncles were intelligence operatives, one for the air force, the other for the CIA, and used an air force cover ID. they did things that are still classified today, but the things they could talk about would scare most people half to death.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teach1234 View Post
An American agency that should have had its funding trimmed long ago; as it currently exists, the CIA has led America into far to many ethical and ultimately unlawful situations.

The CIAs worst fault is acting as a foreign policy arm, for which they are neither authorized nor equipped.
You make good points.

The funding question is a tricky one. Only a handful of people on the whole planet know how much money is allocated to CIA operations. Since the budget is a colossal document, its nearly impossible for anyone deduce specific funds for covert operations from line items that number in the many billions. It's easy to conceal CIA money. This was by design, of course.

As far as being equipped, I think that's probably a charade too. The CIA purportedly has assets stashed around the world. I think the Agency is smart enough to know not to rely on Congress for their every need. A good spy knows that you can't let your allies have total control of any one asset.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:19 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Once the New World Order, what's to spy on?

Corporate espionage?

That could put a lot of janitors out of work.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:39 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,193,585 times
There are kinda like playing cornerback in football... if they do a good job they don't get noticed, but if they mess up it can really be a big deal.

I honestly have no idea how many times they've had excellent coverage on that wideout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies