Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 10:16 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,842,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
I guess reagan, bush, W,..etc didn't get the memo not to spend what you don't have. Well,.. W had money to spend and we see how that turned out.
No they didnt and now look where we are.

Some people have got to accept that we have got to cut spending. We cant just keep printing money and handing it out.

I also remember Obama telling us how bad Bush spending was. Seems spending isnt so bad to Obama now that its him doing it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 10:20 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,842,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
This could be paid for with unused stimulus money but Obama won't for some reason, I wonder why?
Thats what I wanna know. Why do they demand basically to add to our national debt.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:21 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Oh my yes, the Republicans have a long history of wanting to help the middle class...

Middle-Class Life Under Bush Republicans: Less Affordable and Less Secure

In addition to tightening the squeeze on families, Republican policies have made our entire nation less secure economically. Republicans have pushed to increase our debt to nearly $9 trillion and have insisted on spending billions of dollars every year on budget-busting tax breaks for special interests and multi-millionaires. Just this week, the Republican Congress protected $5.1 billion worth of corporate tax loopholes for Big Oil companies, but failed to extend deductions for college tuition, teachers’ expenses, and the savers credit that help millions of middle class families.

Middle-Class Life Under Bush Republicans: Less Affordable and Less Secure (http://democrats.senate.gov/dpc/dpc-new.cfm?doc_name=fs-109-2-68 - broken link)
Did I state something that is incorrect regarding the bill being discussed? No, that's why you moved on to another topic. Regarding your post, the source is the Democratic Policy Committee. How shocking that they didn't endorse the Republicans!

Old 07-20-2010, 10:27 AM

4,458 posts, read 4,190,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Thats what I wanna know. Why do they demand basically to add to our national debt.
Because right now, it makes it look like the Republicans are heartless so Obama is using that for "perceived" political gains rather than using the stimulus money and not only helping the unemployed, but helping out with the deficit as well.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:28 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
I guess reagan, bush, W,..etc didn't get the memo not to spend what you don't have. Well,.. W had money to spend and we see how that turned out.
Reagan, Bush etc didnt pass a bill limiting spending.. Democrats did.. But dont stop making excuses for Democrats violating their own law though.. You'd be jumping up and down talking about Reagan, Bush, W if they had done it.. Proof above..

Old 07-20-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Oh my yes, the Republicans have a long history of wanting to help the middle class...

That began under Clinton, and somewhere here, I have a chart which shows it. You would ignore it anyways, so I didnt waste my time looking for it..
Quote:
In addition to tightening the squeeze on families, Republican policies have made our entire nation less secure economically. Republicans have pushed to increase our debt to nearly $9 trillion and have insisted on spending billions of dollars every year on budget-busting tax breaks for special interests and multi-millionaires. Just this week, the Republican Congress protected $5.1 billion worth of corporate tax loopholes for Big Oil companies, but failed to extend deductions for college tuition, teachers’ expenses, and the savers credit that help millions of middle class families.

Haha, more linking to Democrat stories which outright LIE to you. THE PRESIDENT DOES NOT INCREASE DEBT, CONGRESS DOES.. And while you complain about the national debt being $9T, want to remind me what it is now, and how far its grown since Democrats have taken over Congress? (hint, its up FIFTY PERCENT in the last couple years since they took over)..

Republicans have held congress for EIGHT out of the last FORTY YEARS, and FOUR of them, Democrats like to claim were balanced budgets.. Sorry but Democrats are the MAJOR contributors to the national debt..

Why dont you stop reading left wing stories that lie to your face!!!

Old 07-20-2010, 10:53 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Did I state something that is incorrect regarding the bill being discussed? No, that's why you moved on to another topic. Regarding your post, the source is the Democratic Policy Committee. How shocking that they didn't endorse the Republicans!
The source of my link is a moot point as it is all factual. Prove it wrong. I responded to your assertion that "both sides" wanted to help. Sorry, the Republicans have a reputation for not voting on the side of the middle class.

An Unemployed American Should Not Be a Political Football

Yet, it’s exactly — and only — in these tough economic times that the law requires Congress to act to extend unemployment benefits. This is the worst kind of policy design imaginable. When jobs are scarce, money tight, tempers short and political gamesmanship most appealing, the unemployed are forced to wait for Congress to act to extend benefits — benefits that we have an adequate policy for in good economic times. It makes no sense. We should have a system of unemployment benefits that responds to high unemployment.

Boushey: An Unemployed American Should Not Be a Political Football - Roll Call

Old 07-20-2010, 10:59 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,447,180 times
Quote:
The source of my link is a moot point as it is all factual. Prove it wrong. I responded to your assertion that "both sides" wanted to help. Sorry, the Republicans have a reputation for not voting on the side of the middle class.

Yet, it’s exactly — and only — in these tough economic times that the law requires Congress to act to extend unemployment benefits. This is the worst kind of policy design imaginable. When jobs are scarce, money tight, tempers short and political gamesmanship most appealing, the unemployed are forced to wait for Congress to act to extend benefits — benefits that we have an adequate policy for in good economic times. It makes no sense. We should have a system of unemployment benefits that responds to high unemployment.

Oh yeah? Well I'm middle class and have always done better under a Republican controlled House.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:59 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
Quote:

"Senate Republicans have repeatedly offered deals to pay for the bill.Sen. George Voinovich, R-Ohio, for instance, put forward a plan earlier this month that would have redirected unused money from the $800 billion stimulus to pay for half of the unemployment extension.

But Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., rejected the offer. Democrats say unemployment benefits qualify as emergency spending and do not have to be paid for."
Dems pushing deficit spending for unemployment aid | San Francisco Examiner (http://www.sfexaminer.com/politics/congress/Dems-pushing-deficit-spending-for-unemployment-aid-1001763-98788299.html - broken link)

Old 07-20-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Ahh, see here is where you get it all wrong..

Its not governments job to "help" ANYONE.. let alone the middle class.. Its YOUR job to help yourself, and governments job to NOT LIMIT your ability to be independant.. If you think you need government to ALLOW you to succeed, you are sadly mistaken because people make money in spite of, not because of, governmental regulations and permission..
Quote:

Then why are Democrats making it a political football? You seem to want to blame Republicans, but Republicans arent the ones who passed the law stating ALL BILLS must be paid for.. Democrats did.. and now you are blaming Republicans for Democratic bills, and want to continue to blame Republicans for Democrats violating those bills..

You cant have it both ways without appearing to be a hypocrite..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies