Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: My opinions on this are?
Morgan is correct. Everybody shutup about racism. Everyone is colorblind. 11 78.57%
I somewhat agree with Morgan. 2 14.29%
Morgan is incorrect. We need to keep the discussion going so as not to be oppressed further. 1 7.14%
I somewhat disagree with Morgan. 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 07:24 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,417,468 times

Advertisements

He's 100% right. By consistently pointing out black v white, we're continuing racism. There is always going to be a tinge of racism in the world. Always. You can't stop idiots from being idiots. But if the other 99.9999999% of us just ignore race, and don't bring it up in any form or fashion, it stops mattering. I can't think that most black folks like being called "African American". They're American if they're from America. Period. Not black American. Not African American. American.

The tiny fringe harboring racism will always do so, but if it doesn't matter to the rest of us, the fringe will fade away.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:26 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,908,198 times
No. I don't think so. Racism isn't always in the form of a fringe hate crime. We are talking about institutional racism. And how it plays a role in society. We see that far more often than fringe hate crimes. Morgan Freeman cannot understand that since he is a wealthy Hollywood actor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post

The tiny fringe harboring racism will always do so, but if it doesn't matter to the rest of us, the fringe will fade away.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:26 AM

2,539 posts, read 4,082,905 times
It doesn't matter if your always considered wrong by the other race.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:29 AM

Could you expand on that. Are you white?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnepler View Post
It doesn't matter if your always considered wrong by the other race.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:38 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,417,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
No. I don't think so. Racism isn't always in the form of a fringe hate crime. We are talking about institutional racism. And how it plays a role in society. We see that far more often than fringe hate crimes. Morgan Freeman cannot understand that since he is a wealthy Hollywood actor.
Institutional racism is just the same. If a company wants to be racist, let it. It'll slowly fade away if it's not hiring the best folks for a job. You can't tell me that there's still major institutional racism going on when we've got Obama in the White House. A black man runs our country. We've got black Senators and Congressmen. We've got black business leaders. We've got black men and women being idolized by children in the world of sports and entertainment (though the idol worship isn't healthy on any level).

The racism card is just another way to try and garner more and more votes. There are many folks that use it to their advantage and don't want it to go away, but there are VERY few examples of true racism in this country anymore. VERY few. There are lots of trumped up charges of it, but few real examples.

Again, you can't stop idiots from being idiots, but the as soon as we just stop seeing color in everything, it goes away.

I know the left would hate to see racism go away, but it will.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:38 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,711,622 times
I've always liked Morgan Freeman as an actor....now I have a new found respect for his intelligence too.

He's saying what I've thought and been saying for years....we'll never get over racism in this world until we stop talking about it and constantly bringing it up. I mean, how in the world can you ever get to the point where you have a colorblind society when we constantly talk about color ? It's crazy to expect we ever will until we stop talking about it. Sure, it will take a while, but eventually it will not be an issue....but not until we stop making it one.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:54 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,298,282 times
I disagree that just making like it doesn't exist will help, because that's the coward's way out to me. Though I get what he's saying in that if you just ignore them, they will lose power.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:04 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,918,805 times
what i want to know is why the op is searching for an old 60 minutes broadcast done years ago and post it like it's a new story.

why is the op going through so much trouble searching old videos to post a race related video that he knows will get attention.

morgan freeman said he didnt want to talk about race. the op agrees with that sentinment. if the op agreed, he would never have posted the thread to begin with.

the op is trying to stir up emotions and get his 100 plus reply thread rocking and rolling by putting something he knew was controversial here. this is baiting 101.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:11 AM

They ignored Hitler before he took full control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
I disagree that just making like it doesn't exist will help, because that's the coward's way out to me. Though I get what he's saying in that if you just ignore them, they will lose power.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:12 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,203,545 times
Morgan is correct. Everybody shutup about racism. Everyone is colorblind.
I agree with the shutup part. But I'm not colorblind. I grew up with the ideas and words that are offensive. I know what they are, I can't run from them but I don't need to use or be abusive with them.

However, I will call out someone on the forum using the race card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies