Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 07:22 AM

10,028 posts, read 9,500,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I watched a film clip on the Council meeting last night, didn't know at the time that the members got $100K. What killed me was the one member who was arguing with the Town Attorney about an executive session. He was playing like he didn't know what the salaries were. I don't know what their budget cycle is but he would have had to approve the slaries with the budget every time.
I can pretty much tell anyone that asks what the rate is for every job classification where I am.

This also shows an incredible amount of apathy on the part of the residents. A referendum with 400 votes cast out of probably 15 to 20 thousand registered voters?
Actually four of the five make 100K for part time work. The fifth makes 8K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 10:35 AM

5,513 posts, read 5,238,544 times
This is our current government at ALL levels. Corrupt to the core, all pseudo-alcoholics on full-time binges drinking/spewing up YOUR taxpayer dollars. A very small town of 38,000 taxpayers, 1/4 of them very poor, and their elected leader gets $800,000 a year--plus a $600,000 pension every year! What kind of punishment is appropriate for a crook like this? The government instead will make him beyond rich EVERY SINGLE YEAR for the rest of his life, using tax dollars.

BTW, an article on this stated that the Town Attorney said there was "absolutely nothing that could be legally done" to take the fat pension away. He's lying! Here's how they took our vested pension away, legally: you simply do a "change of control" for the town. This voids any pensions or other legal promises made to the employee--and this crook was just an employee. They can do it. But they won't unless the public rises and MAKES them do it.

I encourage every one of you to demand an accounting of the salaries AND benefits paid to all public employees in your town. It will be far from the truth, but it's a start.

You might also want a list of all the "studies" done and their TOTAL costs. This is the way most local governments funnel huge amounts of taxpayer dollars to preferred "consultants" (girlfriends and relatives of the decision makers). This info is from a friend of mine who once was a Town Council member and was horrified by the waste of tax dollars.

Next, you MUST get your larger and smaller newspapers to investigate the numbers. Your government will certainly NOT give you figures that accurately reflect how much each "Top Dog" in your local government is getting.

Liberals on this site wonder why I don't trust government one bit. I'll tell you why. I worked for it for 10 years, until my conscience could not let me continue.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:05 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,810,585 times
CA state attorney general Jerry Brown has announced an investigation into this matter. Let's see where that goes.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:12 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
That will depend on sate law as to how they get out of contracts which these proably are. Likely that change of control is allowed by your sate laws. These are rpobably under a contract with each individaul offical and quite separate of the nromal pension governing non-contracted employees.Where I live there is a city budget that reflects the cost of the top salries and even include what lower salries are.Its has to be published in the local paper. City council and major get no salary but do get expenses that are also published. Sounds to me like no oe including thelocal papers paid any attention to the budget which surely is a public record as well as audits.If your vested retirement was taken away "I look at the sate law that allows this to happen in that;change of control.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:19 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times
I DONT trust the govts (fed, state, county & local) one damn bit. They are fleecing us & whats sad is they are getting away with it. Its unbelievable how corruption has exploded in the usa. Get a rope!

Old 07-25-2010, 04:03 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
I DONT trust the govts (fed, state, county & local) one damn bit. They are fleecing us & whats sad is they are getting away with it. Its unbelievable how corruption has exploded in the usa. Get a rope!
Because we let them. Apathetic Americans continue to re-elect those that steal right from beneath their noses

Nothing will change until Americans wake up and realize they have let a small minority decide everything for them.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:28 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,409,326 times
I am surprised that taxpayers are not rioting.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:36 AM

5,513 posts, read 5,238,544 times
Default Think Outside the Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Because we let them. Apathetic Americans continue to re-elect those that steal right from beneath their noses. Nothing will change until Americans wake up and realize they have let a small minority decide everything for them.
We are conditioned from childhood (at least those of us over 30) to obey authority and "work within the system." But this political system does not allow for any change: We are offered Clone A and B for each elected office, and they are both Republicrats (believing in bigger and more expensive government, for different stated reasons).

We can all "wake up"--but what can we do about the current system to make REAL change? Think about it. Think "outside the box" government has built around you.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:57 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,810,585 times
CA state attorney general Jerry Brown (and dem candidate for governor) will be having a news conference today at noon to report on the latest on his investigation of this matter.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:32 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,095,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
CA state attorney general Jerry Brown (and dem candidate for governor) will be having a news conference today at noon to report on the latest on his investigation of this matter.
Please keep us posted. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies