Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 03:36 PM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
What more info do you need. They are both telling lies about the other!

I was raised with the idea that if a man's word is no good then he is no good!
How do I know they're telling lies about each other? What did Person A say about B, and why is it a lie? What did Person B say about A, and why is it a lie?

You know, information. Facts. Evidence. Some basis to evaluate what's going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 03:44 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
I have absolutely no problem voting along party lines, regardless of the individual candidates. I'm either voting for someone who best represents my interests on a number of different issues or, I'm voting against someone who opposes my interests on a number of different issues so, regardless of the integrety of the candidate, I'm an issues voter first and foremost. Since I am fairly cynical about the candidates in all of the parties, it's really about who I think will do the least damage! And although there have been republican candidates who I respected as individuals, I would still never vote for one because, regardless of what I thought of their character, the bottom line is that I understand that we don't share the same values. So, I understand why others vote along party lines; even if no party is completely in sync with your own values, it's natural to support the party that "most" represents you and those issues you have strong opinions about. As someone who defines myself as fiscally moderate and socially "way left" of the current administration, there really is no electable party that represents my interests so, I work with what there is.
You epitomize the problem. You vote party first and always regardless of the integrety of the candidate... That means you opt to support the guy you know is bad simply because he is in your party of choice. This bad guy will represent your values and beliefs best? Impossible unless you are also corrupt which judging by your posts I don't believ to be the case.
The party? What party actually represents their own rhetoric? Fiscal conservatives such as old school republicans are no where to be found. At least not in the halls of congress or senate.
Democrats the party of the working class? Where are they? Nancy Pelosi? Ted Kennedy? John Kerry? If they represent the working class then why do they push so many bills that do anything but serve the working class?
UHC? That just gave the insurance companies a big boost. The stimulous? Who did this help? Certainly not middle class america.
Voting party line only serves to re-enforce an already corrupt and powerful machine. Its also a waste of a good vote.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:35 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
Obama, campaigning, spoke to the hearts and minds of many Americans, but turned out to be such a dud.
There is no way of knowing, before a person is in office, what their true intent is. Certainly, you cannot tell by their words.
They will mostly all cave to the pressure of needing money for their re election campaigns which forces them into making decisions that are not always in our best interests. Why else would they allow all those jobs to go overseas? Why else would they not protect our borders? Or inspect our food better? Or find encouragements for us to use and develop better energy sources?

Even not researching the potential problems with offshore drilling or having such processes carefully inspected all along the process - this is not done in the U.S. Industry is just allowed to go, willy-nilly, doing whatever it wants. Only when there is a problem does the administration get involved and that is usually just to fire someone.

I think our media is to blame, too. They will carry mis-infomation stories, things to redirect public opinion. Like there started to be ads by insurance companies on how good this health care bill will be. Then the bill lost some public support. All at once the industry ads were complaining that it would be a disaster, using reverse psychology to get the public to support it.

Regarding stimulus, I read that 60% of our economy is driven by consumerism and the biggest spending segment in that was 30% which represented the upper income earners. Nice article that was placed just about when the Bush tax break for the rich is about to expire.

Nobody cares if the lowest unemployment percent is in that bracket and single digit and the agony of unemployment increases as you go down the income ladder. Yet, come election time, these very people will be expected to vote for and support this administration which has pretty much shown contempt for them.

It almost looks as though both parties are systematically doing all they can to ruin the country, running up huge deficits that just line the pockets of 'deciders' in the mega corporations.

And the media just plays along with this game - all but some outliers like Dylan Ratigan and Elizabeth Warren.
Not too long ago there was a standard in reporting that there had to be 3 unrelated confirmations before any news story would be presented to the public. My, how things have changed.

There must be some standards, somewhere, that don't bow to the almighty buck.

I am starting to believe, more and more, in this Kali Yuga stuff.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:59 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,232,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
How do I know they're telling lies about each other? What did Person A say about B, and why is it a lie? What did Person B say about A, and why is it a lie?

You know, information. Facts. Evidence. Some basis to evaluate what's going on.
I am not going to take you to raise! Google for it.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:09 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,842,040 times
We dont really have a choice because enough people doesnt stand up and demand they stop lying to us. They make excuses like they've always lied or they all lie.

Its like they dont know they have the power to make them stop lying and hold them accountable if they do lie

Politicians know now they can lie and tell us whatever they think we want to hear and they dont have to stick to those promises. Because people will vote for a letter over character.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:19 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times
Quote:
How do you as either a loyal Democrat or a loyal Republican justify your candidate lying during and election? I am using two Kansas politicians as an example. I won;t mention their party affiliation.

Todd Tihart vs Jerry Moran. Both vying for the same political office.I See this stuff on tv and imo i think both are lying. Why would you want to vote for someone that you know is lying to get elected?

By the way i am not from Ks and don't care who wins. These guys are the most over the top i am seeing on the tv
Politics=the art of deception.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:19 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,548,448 times
As long as the #1 goal of every politician is to get elected, then to get re-elected, they will lie--some more, some less, but they have to appeal to the greatest number while offending the fewest. No way to be 100% honest when that is your goal.

The Senate and the House with their unlimited X-year terms are the worst offenders.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:24 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times
Quote:
I am not going to take you to raise!
What would that be in English?

Old 07-22-2010, 10:40 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
To paraphrase an old Louisiana saying:

"All politicians lie. When you vote for one, you vote for the one that lies on your behalf."

Old 07-22-2010, 10:46 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
The whole practice of "rallying the base" and then "running to the middle" is based on telling people what they want to hear versus the candidate actually saying what they believe. This is so common/expected that it goes unnoticed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies