Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 09:29 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times

Advertisements

[quote=TRUEGRITT;15157769]
Quote:
Not lied to, just me taking things the wrong way.
Fair enough.

Quote:
With that said, she never protested the homophobes while hindering the military recruiters.
I am pretty sure that Harvard graduates are smart enough to seek out a military recruiter if they desire a career in the armed forces.

Quote:
Prince of Saudi Arabia where sodomy is punishable by death.
Oh. So every Saudi must by definition be in favor of the practice. You can't hurl a brick in Saudi without hitting a prince, it's not a particularly exclusive title and it doesn't imply any particular political influence. There are hundreds of princes. Anyway, Alwaleed is setting his money to work in lots of places in Western academia. (He also wrote NYC a check for $10 million after 9/11. Giuliani made a big to-do of refusing. Then the city cashed the check anyway.)

Quote:
I am aware she made it difficult for recruiters to do their job because of her problem with don't ask don't tell, yet there was no protest when the Prince of Saudi Arabia offered money even knowing that Sharia law practiced in Saudi Arabia oppresses women and has a death penalty for sodomy.
Not "the" prince. A prince. There's hundreds.

Quote:
We both know that they do, no need to research. Harvard was threatened with the withholding of funds and Kagan was forced to comply with the Soloman Amendment.
Actually I didn't know. If the law was broken, that's obviously a no-no.

Quote:
My proof is that you have never denounced Sharia law or the acceptance of the money by Harvard from a prince who practices Sharia law.
That's proof of Kagan's support for sharia? (And your beef with the donation really isn't with Kagan. The Dean of Law does not decide what donations the university accepts. And the $20 million did not go to the faculty of Law exclusively.) And I suspect you have no clue what sort of law Alwaleed would prefer. Neither do I, truth be told. Would you respect a foreigner who concluded from your citizenship that you must be in favor of, say, abortion or the death penalty?

Quote:
Do you accept or reject Sharia law?
Not that my take on it has any bearing on Kagan's, but: I despise any system of law that's based on supposedly infallible scripture. Claiming that the state is backed by God (or Historical Necessity or somesuch, which is almost as bad) makes it easy to consider it a moral imperative to break resistance. At least modern Western democracy admits that it's based on a bunch of compromises thought out by thoroughly fallible human beings.

Never mind the reasoning: Theocracy is a rotten idea. Including shariah.

Quote:
Seldom does a $20 million dollar gift come with no strings. Here is a free class online to study Sharia law, again it is free. Sharia Program - Study the Sharia with the Sharia Program
Free online class vs. Harvard scholars doing research?

Quote:
If you take money from a Saudi who practices Sharia law then you may as well take money from a pedophile organization and study pedophilia.
I'm no particular fan of Alwaleed's, but it's nonsensical to insist that he "practices sharia". Countries practice law. Individuals don't.

But if we go on the assumption that Alwaleed's money are indelibly tainted and only come with conditions, you're very, very wrong in assuming that his influence is primarily with academia. I suggest you do a little research on his investments - particularly those he's made in the media world. I think you may be in for bit of a surprise.

Quote:
Is there anything that should not be studied for the sake of academia? It is learning isn't it?
In fields like religion, law, economics, architecture? Can't really think of anything. Of course there are ethical concerns once you move into experimental biology, psychology etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 09:33 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,435,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post

Show me how it is on topic if you dare.

I still like the hat Jill, it's very becoming.

Do you endorse Sharia Law or the lack of protest by Kagan of the donation from a Prince who lives in a land where you can be killed for being gay and severely oppresses women but, hindered the military for gay rights reasons.
I don't support Shariah law. Neither does Elana Kagan.

Do you support Shariah law?

Answer my other questions, please. They aren't hard questions.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:38 PM

4,458 posts, read 4,190,417 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
I don't support Shariah law. Neither does Elana Kagan.
Then why didn't she protest? She certainly hindered the military recruiters in protest.
Quote:
Do you support Shariah law?
If you have been reading you would know.

Quote:
Answer my other questions, please. They aren't hard questions.
Why? What do your questions have to do with the OP?

Old 07-22-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:

Then why didn't she protest? She certainly hindered the military recruiters in protest.
Protest a grant? She had no reason to. And she did not hinder military recruiters, she upheld Harvard policy that predated her tenure there. Huge difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT

If you have been reading you would know.
Then you'll have no problem answering my other questions.
Quote:

Why? What do your questions have to do with the OP?
They have everything to do with the OP, which will be revealed once you dare to answer them.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:52 PM

[quote]
Quote:
Protest a grant? She had no reason to.
Killing gays is no reason? Oppressing women is no reason?
Quote:
And she did not hinder military recruiters, she upheld Harvard policy that predated her tenure there. Huge difference.
Then why did the Fed threaten to pull funds to make her comply?
Quote:
Then you'll have no problem answering my other questions. They have everything to do with the OP, which will be revealed once you dare to answer them.
How does your need to know about my personal life tie in with the OP?

Old 07-22-2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:

Killing gays is no reason? Oppressing women is no reason?
THEY WERE KILLING GAYS AND OPPRESSING WOMEN AT HARVARD LAW???
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUGRITT

Then why did the Fed threaten to pull funds to make her comply?
Make her comply, or make Harvard comply?
Quote:

How does your need to know about my personal life tie in with the OP?
The same way your need to know about my personal beliefs on Shariah law ties in with the OP. Just answer the questions. They're simple and straightforward enough. What are you so afraid of?

Old 07-22-2010, 10:38 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
TRUEGRITT, do you read books? Ever read anything published by Harper Collins? How about newspapers? The New York Post, The Wall Street Journal? Watch television; Fox News, Fox Sports, the FX Network, National Geographic Channel? Visit the websites MySpace or Hulu?
HarperCollins, heh

Old 07-22-2010, 10:40 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
TRUEGRITT, do you read books? Ever read anything published by Harper Collins? How about newspapers? The New York Post, The Wall Street Journal? Watch television; Fox News, Fox Sports, the FX Network, National Geographic Channel? Visit the websites MySpace or Hulu?
HarperCollins, lol

Old 07-22-2010, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
HarperCollins, lol
So you just got it...

Old 07-22-2010, 10:57 PM

All of the questions I asked you are punishable by whipping and most by death under Sharia law. There, I answered your questions.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 07-23-2010 at 11:06 PM.. Reason: Edited out reference to deleted post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies