Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 10:32 AM

4,814 posts, read 3,843,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Good points. There is something really screwy going on here...
Agreed! Great questions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 10:38 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,108,168 times
Here is Ms. Sherrod's statement regarding Mr. Spooner.

American Rhetoric: Shirley Sherrod - Speech at the NAACP 20th Freedom Fund Banquet

So I took him to a white lawyer that we had -- that had...attended some of the training that we had provided, 'cause Chapter 12 bankruptcy had just been enacted for the family farmer. So I figured if I take him to one of them that his own kind would take care of him.

Moderator cut: Copyright violation -- please post a link and a "snippet" only
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did she do her best for this guy? She could have said, well, sir, it's out of my hands. She didn't.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 07-24-2010 at 08:47 AM..

Old 07-22-2010, 10:41 AM

2,104 posts, read 1,442,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
So she dumped him off twice, yippee, stumbling to success would put it mildly.

I wonder, how many white folks she refused to help, and kicked to the curb, before she felt guilty enough, and generous enough to dump them off on "one of their own kind"?
Fail.

She is on record stating that this was the first white family she ever helped, and that she went on to help more white families after that.

Her dad was killed by a white neighbor you know, and that was her whole point in mentioning Spooner's farm -- to say "My father was killed by a white man and I managed to move past race issues, so we should all be able to."

Prior to meeting the Spooners, she thought only black farmers faced what the Spooner's were facing because she was ignorant of the truth and she is ADMITTING that. Good grief. You folks are trying way too hard to read into this. She didn't work for the goverment then and she is simply trying to illustrate her personal growth.

None of us grew up without some measure of racism in our lives. It's something every human struggles with at some point or another. It's silly to expect this woman to have grown up as a completely "race neutral" person, given that she was a black kid, born in the segregated deep south, whose father was murdered by a white man, and who the local sheriff tried to block from voting because she was black (and her husband was assaulted by the sheriff's dept. in connection with the voting issue).

I wonder if some of the people trying to spin these wild, paranoid yarns would have ever been able to move past race themselves, had their father been killed by a black man, and they had been told they couldn't vote because they were white?

Old 07-22-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
It's just way too simple to comprehend!
Not at all. It's not a simple as it looks. The first lawyer did nothing. She referred them to another.

Epic fail on your part.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
So she dumped him off twice, yippee, stumbling to success would put it mildly.

I wonder, how many white folks she refused to help, and kicked to the curb, before she felt guilty enough, and generous enough to dump them off on "one of their own kind"?

Amazing, truly amazing. What a complete disregard for what really happened.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:44 AM

89,000 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Sherrod admitted to committing a federal offense - racial discrimination.

Answer the question, carterstamp...
Do you really want to posit that it's okay to commit a crime if it ends well?

Old 07-22-2010, 10:45 AM

2,104 posts, read 1,442,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Not at all. It's not a simple as it looks. The first lawyer did nothing. She referred them to another.

Epic fail on your part.
Awww come on, you're ruining the drama! There HAS TO BE a conspiracy in there somewhere! No? I thought that's what teh intarnetz wuz fer!

Old 07-22-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Sherrod admitted to committing a federal offense - racial discrimination.

Answer the question, carterstamp...
Do you really want to posit that it's okay to commit a crime if it ends well?

Nope, a loaded question. Did she, in fact, commit a crme? Reading the statement in context, she did not.

She did not commit a crime, informedconsent. Your question is moot in regards to Ms. Sherrod.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:48 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,052,379 times
In a just world, Breitbart's career would be over.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♠atizar♠ View Post
Awww come on, you're ruining the drama! There HAS TO BE a conspiracy in there somewhere! No? I thought that;s what teh intarnetz wuz fer!

It's like trying to teach a pig to dance. It's ineffective and pisses off the pig.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies