Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 02:25 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,032,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
Something else that gets on my nerves---this constant 'liberal vs conservative' stuff that seems to creep into every discussion nowadays...be it on race, politics, health care, who's stronger between the Hulk and Superman, you name it...

I understand completely your not agreeing with a 'liberal' mindset...but how, and I ask this with the utmost sincerity, were you able to discern which posters were liberal or not? That's the kind of clairvoyance I could bottle, sell, and retire off of!

I was under the impression that when the OP started the thread, he was giving his views on racism...I didn't necessarily agree with some of what he said, but nonetheless, he started the thread, and thereby invited discussion on it, which you and I chose to chime in on...that's fact...

But where did this 'liberalism is a mental disorder' stuff come from? Tell me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that you're saying that anyone who doesn't see things the way you do is automatically a 'mentally-defiecient liberal', which is as wrong as me labeling everyone who agreed with the OP, or disagreed with me for that matter, as a 'conservative right-wing racist'...we as Americans get absolutely nowhere by spewing stereotypes and placing labels on each other...I'm just sayin'
This is just the kind of post some sicko Republican would write... ahh crap, I'm just pulling your leg. I agree with what you're saying. Like you, I have to wade through all the silly, blatantly anti-lib and anti-con crap to get to a reasoned post. There are other websites that are exactly the same, left vs right name-calling. But a lot of these posts do make a person wonder... Are the Democrats really chronic bed-wetters? Do Republicans actually practice group beastiality?

Anyhow, the good news is that even when I find one of those moderate, rational threads, I usually can't think of anything to say regardless of the subject. So it isn't like the world is missing out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 02:33 PM

2,422 posts, read 2,278,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Well....all I can say to the OP is that the world is changing. The demographics of the US is changing. If you throw a boomerang.....don't be surprised if it comes back and smashes you in the head. Guess what? When the boomerang comes back....its still the result of the energy (negative) that YOU initiated. Actions create reactions. Stop whinning and get over it....life is not fair (see how that boomerang works? Is that not what black folks were told? ). What....are white folks VICTIMS now? Are white folks now suffering from the "Victim Syndrom" that infered was unique among black folks?

Face it......the "good ole days" are not coming back. No more "yes suh boss".....no more moving off the side walk when white folks walk past.....no more black lynchings for looking at white women too long....no more legalized discrimination....no more racial red linning....no more.....no more white exclusivity of national political power.....

Sorry....you can't TAKE BACK AMERICA. Its gone FOR GOOD. I would suggest relocation.
And ya know what, thats a damned shame.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Racism is like allergies....its not that it goes away as much as it is true that people just simply learn to avoid or manage the triggers.

Whats going on now is that its getting more difficult for white folks to avoid the triggers. Whites largely moved to the suburbs and exurbs and did not really have to deal with black people. However, slowly blacks began to move to those places too....and to move into corporate America....and now.....they have moved into the white house. All that has triggered the runny noses, the itchy eyes and the sneezing that is symptomatic of being allergic to to black people. There is no place to run any more so one can expect to see a lot of red eyes (and neck...lol)..in these times. Right now a lot of white folks are simply trying to get rid of a big trigger.....and that is the N'gger in the white house.
Nobody know the trouble I seen.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:42 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
The very term 'racist' has lost most of it's meaning and impact. I am immune. If someone uses the word my first instinct is to roll my eyes. It's got to be something pretty over the top obvious before I'd even consider it.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
I know that there are black folks that don't like white folks. However, in truth, 3 white guys standing on 6 mile mile and L could be thought as being "under cover". Sometimes groups of thugs "own" corners and streets. The thing that you need to remember is that when you, as a white person, enter an area of high crime, where people are shot, robbed, assaulted and the like, all black on black because that is who lives there, don't think you being victimized is automatically due to you being whites. Its not like crime and violence is on standby in such communities.......until 3 white guys come and stand on a corner......and 3 AM.....lol.
Quote:
If you ask me....you were asking to get shot at. Hell.....
I might have shot at you just to scare you enough to stop being so idiotic. Trust me....the vast majority of black folks in Brightmore will not be standing on a street corner at 3 AM....and they are BLACK...lol

Ahhh....but when it looses its number and gets the name the community goes from WHITE to BLACK. So when its WHITE its GOOD and when its BLACK....its bad. Gotcha....and you wonder why black folks don't like white folks with thinking like that?
You sealed your fate with that statment!

Old 07-23-2010, 03:09 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edub View Post
I was born in 1967 just outside of Detroit. While I remember the majority of people being white, I frequently came into contact with Blacks as well.

I am too young to remember the civil rights stuff that went on prior to my birth, but I remember when Affirmative Action was a hot button issue. For a while, it seemed that the issue of racism died down. People kind of just accepted each other and for the most part had the attitude that we were largely living in post racial times. These were times in which most began to see the folly of these Affirmative Action programs and a major court decision regarding race preferences at U of M were stricken down by the court on Constitutional grounds. Things were really seeming like racial tensions were fading away.

Then, some time around the late 90s or so it seems, the issue of race made a huge resurgence thanks in part to to All Sharpton, Jessy Jackson and other professional race baiters. Suddenly, everything that happened was an issue of race and it was as if Blacks made up 50% of the population instead of the actual 12% making them the second largest minority group behind Latinos - a group that we seldom hear from.

Then came the Obama campaign and with his election, many people felt that if nothing else good came of it, at least all the absurd racism claims would finally become a thing of the past.

But, the opposite came true. The reaction to Obama's election was an almost Pavlovian response of heightened claims of institutional racism. This seems to imply that to many the "white guilt trip" strategy is working and the heat ought to be turned higher.

Today, more than in any time since the civil rights movement of the 60s, anti-black racism has become front page news. That is of course unless the racism is anti-white in which case anyone making mention of it is labeled a racist.

It seems today, every time a mouse farts, it is racism and every time there is real racism, but it is anti-white, the one pointing it out or objecting to it is a bigot. If anything, the Obama election and the appointment of Blacks to high ranking positions has made us more racially divided and not less as we had all hoped.
In reading this post, I thought you were in your early 20s, not 43. You should know better, but for some reason you don't. I suspect that you are a conservative which would explain the lack of acknowledgment about all issues concerning the racism that your party stands for.

Obama didn't elevate racist cries by blacks against whites who practice racism. Whites who are racist are insane now because more enlightened people (including whites who are not racist) voted this man into office. If there is more racism in the news, it's because the conservatives and tea partyers are being more racist than normal. Late 90s would just about correlate with the emergence of the Neocon, yet another version of the Klan.

This is a good time to get these issues out in the open. Republicans and Bush don't have a clue on how to stop themselves from practicing racism, but Obama is the most qualified president in history to address it. Stay tuned. Also, if there are blacks in high ranking positions, it's because they EARNED the right to be there. Be racist, but that doesn't stop the incredible number of qualified black people from being given positions by someone who is able to look beyond skin color. This is PROGRESS and CHANGE!

Old 07-23-2010, 03:13 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
The very term 'racist' has lost most of it's meaning and impact. I am immune. If someone uses the word my first instinct is to roll my eyes. It's got to be something pretty over the top obvious before I'd even consider it.
Indeed true and its a shame. Its the new McCarthyism. The proverbial Boy who Cried Wolf.

It dilutes sympathy in the event that something racist actually does happen.

Old 07-23-2010, 04:11 PM

640 posts, read 388,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
Nobody know the trouble I seen.
maybe some do know the "trouble" you've seen.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:21 PM

217 posts, read 554,093 times
Unfortunately, OP there will always be racism. It will never go away. Uninformed people are afraid of anyone who doesnt look or act like them. They start out judging before they even know anything about a person.

The stupid thing is of all countries in the world you would think we would have ZERO racism. We have people from every freakin country here as citizens. Go figure....

Old 07-23-2010, 05:54 PM

449 posts, read 934,344 times
One thing I find quite interesting is how black people try to make it seem like what happened to their distant ancestors happened to them. Now if they are 110 years old, this may have been the case, but 99% of the posters on this board have never experienced any serious racism. Somehow, Blacks seem to believe that they experienced slavery first hand by virtue of their being black. An interesting fact since most Blacks in this country descend from Blacks who immigrated as free men and were never even slaves. And to experience racial segregation and to be old enough to be aware of it, one would have to be over 50.

It is also interesting to note that Black immigrants don't share any of the same victim mentality that black Americans identify with. In fact, I've spoken to guys from Africa and let's just say they don't identify with Blacks in any way shape or form and have nothing good to say about Black Americans. You want to hear some anti-black rhetoric, get in a cab with a Driver from Nigeria. Just food for thought.

I also find it interesting that people claim that all white people have "historical privilege" as claimed by one poster. How exactly do I have a "historical privilege" when as far as I know the vast majority of my family were murdered by the Nazis and all of their wealth stolen from them. My family (those who escaped) fled Hungary and Russia during WWII with nothing but the clothes on their back. How is that "historical privilege"?

And where does this idea come from that there is some committee that distributes "the wealth." Wealth is something people create through hard work and through being productive. White people do not get a fat "white people's" dividend check when they are born. White people do not control "the wealth" because that term is a misnomer. There is no "the wealth." You work, you produce, you CREATE WEALTH. Sitting around and whining about life being unfair doesn't create wealth. Well, sadly it does to some extent which is pathetic.

I myself, lived in poverty most of my life and I started a business with nothing. Nobody dumped a pile of money in my lap. There were no loans to help me get started and there was no "good old boys network" helping me succeed. I did it by producing a product by the sweat of my brow and I sold that product. Now, my business provides jobs for people who benefit my company.

And Blacks do the same thing. I have seen and have hired Blacks who have gotten out there and made it happen for themselves. None of them bought into that "white oppression" crap. They came to me and offered me something that was worth buying and I felt good about the fact that they sought to EARN money by offering something of value. In fact, I go out of my way to spend my money in black owned business'. Not only am I getting the product I want, but I leave with a good feeling. I leave with the feeling that there are black people out there with their head in the right place and who seek to do things the right way. Don't try to steal what I have earned through my hard work with confiscatory policies, get with the program and offer something in return. I am glad to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies