Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 08:26 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,338,075 times

Advertisements

Back to the concert...IT'S A SCAM!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 08:36 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,449,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
I've been curious a long time, so I'll just throw the question up here:

Why don't black people like Country-Western music?

Is it because they don't have emotions?
Maybe because it sucks??

Old 07-23-2010, 08:42 AM

1,529 posts, read 1,725,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
You accuse him of being narrow-minded but it sounds like you have closed your mind to anything NOT of the liberal agend (an entire cable channel, Glenn Beck, Hannity, conservatives?). You catagorically dismiss FOX news and all things conservative? Are you not guilty of marginalizing as well? It sounds like you are very partisan and not willing to even consider the other side.
Let me premise my statement by saying that I hate the labels "liberal" and "conservative" as they overly simplify complex political ideology. However...

There was a time in my life where I started to shun the progressive movement in America. I knew a bunch of "liberals" and their views just didn't jive with mine. Many of them could have been considered the "Blame America First" crowd that pundits like Hannity has always purported. I pushed back because I truly loved my country, even if I didn't always agree with it.

Throughout the Bush years (I never voted for the man), I saw what American conservatism was. It was full of narrow-minded, war-mongering religious zealots who claimed to love America, but clearly hated a majority of its citizens. I didn't, and still don't, want to be a part of that movement.

Nowadays I like to consider myself to be rather center-left in my politics. There are some right wing views that I support such as, reducing illegal immigration or eliminating NAFTA but you'll never get me to vote Republican in this political climate. The superstars of the party, as well as Fox News, are full of fear-mongering demagogues. And I'm not too thrilled about the Democrats either.

Yes, other news organizations have angendas too, but Fox is by far the worst.

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Last edited by bolehboleh; 07-23-2010 at 08:51 AM.. Reason: forgot to add an "s" to agenda

Old 07-23-2010, 09:07 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,527,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
Let me premise my statement by saying that I hate the labels "liberal" and "conservative" as they overly simplify complex political ideology. However...

There was a time in my life where I started to shun the progressive movement in America. I knew a bunch of "liberals" and their views just didn't jive with mine. Many of them could have been considered the "Blame America First" crowd that pundits like Hannity has always purported. I pushed back because I truly loved my country, even if I didn't always agree with it.

Throughout the Bush years (I never voted for the man), I saw what American conservatism was. It was full of narrow-minded, war-mongering religious zealots who claimed to love America, but clearly hated a majority of its citizens. I didn't, and still don't, want to be a part of that movement.

Nowadays I like to consider myself to be rather center-left in my politics. There are some right wing views that I support such as, reducing illegal immigration or eliminating NAFTA but you'll never get me to vote Republican in this political climate. The superstars of the party, as well as Fox News, are full of fear-mongering demagogues. And I'm not too thrilled about the Democrats either.

Yes, other news organizations have angendas too, but Fox is by far the worst.

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Fair enough. But I would like to know where you get your news from. Because I will admit that FOX leans right but not anymore than MSNBC or CNN or NPR leans left. And that is what I have a hard time understanding. Because most people who bash the right will not admit (or see) that the news media they believe in and get their information is skewed completely left. And before FOX came this was pretty much all media.

Also, I would love to have a media outlet that was not of the right or left. Don't know if it can even be done unless a computer or robot is behind it! lo.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:25 AM

1,529 posts, read 1,725,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Fair enough. But I would like to know where you get your news from. Because I will admit that FOX leans right but not anymore than MSNBC or CNN or NPR leans left. And that is what I have a hard time understanding. Because most people who bash the right will not admit (or see) that the news media they believe in and get their information is skewed completely left. And before FOX came this was pretty much all media.

Also, I would love to have a media outlet that was not of the right or left. Don't know if it can even be done unless a computer or robot is behind it! lo.
How do you define what is left or right? I don't consider NPR to be a left wing new organization. They simply don't hype people up into a state of hysteria. I don't consider CNN to be left wing either; I consinder them to be more pro-entertainment and flashy graphics.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:04 AM

3,378 posts, read 5,007,188 times
If there were any near me. I really like Charlie Daniels, but Skynard isn't even Skynard anymore.

If they put Hank Jr. in there I'm sold.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:30 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Looks more like the Redneck Altamount.
Best description yet!

Old 07-23-2010, 11:07 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,527,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
How do you define what is left or right? I don't consider NPR to be a left wing new organization. They simply don't hype people up into a state of hysteria. I don't consider CNN to be left wing either; I consinder them to be more pro-entertainment and flashy graphics.
Thank you! You have proven my point precicely! NPR and CNN are left but you don't consider them left.

CNN and NPR are every bit as left-leaning as FOX is right. But you don't recogize it as such. Before FOX all media was left so you perceive it as non-biased.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:15 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post

c'mon man!
I don't often call folks racist, but sometime you got to call a snow flake a snow flake (emphasis on the flake).

Not only is there Charlie Pride but let's not forget Ray Charles, and the Pointer Sisters.

Now if the person in question weren't so ignorant about country music in general and black folks contribution to the genre in particular, besides the above citation, they clearly aren't aware of the recording "Rhythm Country and Blues" which highlighted duets with such legendary performers as:

"Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing" — Vince Gill with Gladys Knight

"Funny How Time Slips Away" — Al Green with Lyle Lovett

"I Fall to Pieces" — Aaron Neville with Trisha Yearwood

"Somethin' Else" — Little Richard with Tanya Tucker

"When Something Is Wrong with My Baby" — Patti LaBelle with Travis Tritt

"Rainy Night in Georgia" — Sam Moore with Conway Twitty

"Chain of Fools" — Clint Black with The Pointer Sisters

"Since I Fell for You" — Natalie Cole with Reba McEntire

"Southern Nights" — Chet Atkins with Allen Toussaint

"The Weight" — The Staple Singers with Marty Stuart

"Patches" — George Jones with B. B. King

Now for the canard questioning the emotions of black folks. You'd think that any concert claiming to be about Freedom would include the Blues and anybody that would question the emotions of folks who invented, played and perfected the Blues wouldn't be asking such idiotic questions to begin with.

Last edited by ovcatto; 07-23-2010 at 12:07 PM.. Reason: Cleaned up a little grammar

Old 07-23-2010, 11:28 AM

3,359 posts, read 7,323,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
[
Country and Rock artists seem to be the only ones that support our military. That's not Hannity's fault. I'm sure if Beyonce or Gladys Knight wanted to join they could.
What I find sad...is that you actually believe that.....

That means that whatever outlets you have in your life...up to this point...have led you to believe that...

I mean what can I say...other than it's not true...there have been plenty of A-American/ Latino and other artist who go over and entertain the troops since vietnamn...

What saddens me, is that in your world, you don't know this...(That's what creates racial myth and ignorance...cause I'm sure there's many others
who believe that too)

I could list, or show you photos of hip-hop artist, R&B artist, classic soul artist and others....who have entertained and supported the troops over the years...

After all...many of them either served or have family in the military also...

Please make sure you know something to be true before you blurt it out...

And that's another reason why I say those freedom concerts create a 'false premise' that only guys and gals wearing cowboy hats support the troops...

I wonder if they've ever invited Kobe Keith to play...who's a Dem....?

Last edited by Time and Space; 07-23-2010 at 11:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies