Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 07:14 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,581,533 times

Advertisements

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/2010/0722/Harry-Reid-Senate-will-abandon-cap-and-trade-energy-reform

Good decision by Reid. Any economist will tell you that the best way to reduce something is to tax it outright. If you try to setup a cap and scam program, it will only benefit trading firms. If we really want to reduce greenhouse gas emission, increase the tax on gasoline (by a very small amount) every year so the price won't go up too much and people have time to adjust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 07:24 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/2010/0722/Harry-Reid-Senate-will-abandon-cap-and-trade-energy-reform

Good decision by Reid. Any economist will tell you that the best way to reduce something is to tax it outright. If you try to setup a cap and scam program, it will only benefit trading firms. If we really want to reduce greenhouse gas emission, increase the tax on gasoline (by a very small amount) every year so the price won't go up too much and people have time to adjust.
What comes out of the mouths of those people is just that, what came out of the mouth. Not so long ago Obama announced that they wouldn't seek public option because Republicans would keep them from passing Obamacare with it in there. The far left has been after him about that one for months and now we have 128 Democrat House members talking about brining it up again. They know that they may not get it in if they wait beyond December so here they come with it.

Now all Reid said was that they wouldn't try for the Crap and Tax bill they had talked about for over a year because Republicans wouldn't let them pass it. That is just Reid crap to make the Republicans look bad, he hopes. Don't hold your breath about Crap and Tax any longer than December because they plan to go all the way if they lose the House in the Lame Duck session.

Yesterday they passed a plan that they had blamed the Republicans for not being able to pass with the new vote they brought in because of the recent death of Byrd. They did that with three RINO votes and would have done it without them.

Watch them and see if they don't try to pass that thing without Republicans after berating Republicans for holding them back for months. Yep, he is playing a game and the nation will suffer for it.

I have never heard a Democrat mention the fact that that law will not only raise the price of all fuels including diesel and then truckers have to charge more to haul and that results in much higher prices for consumer goods like food and clothing.

Harry is playing a game and many will learn the truth about that in due time.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:41 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,809,867 times
I recall the health care bill being dead too, not very long ago.

It's possible that they might try a last ditch effort after the election. It's obvious from health care that they don't care what the majority of voters want.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:46 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
GOOD! I never like the tax and spend... I mean cap and trade policy... I don't mind capping CO2 emissions (even though I don't believe in man-made global warming B.S.), I don't like the idea of paying money to the government who in turns spends it on the most idiotic stuff (money in THEIR pockets)... why anyone would advocate to give the government your own money so they can waste it, I will never understand... if you want to cap something then JUST CAP IT, you don't need to rob me of anymore money...

Old 07-22-2010, 08:54 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,533,012 times
Who knows how much of the cap and trade issues are hidden in other bills. They seemed to give up on this way to easy.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:00 PM

159 posts, read 144,449 times
When the elections are over in november, you can guarantee they will try to slam home as much of their agenda as possible before giving up their seats.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:01 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
i trust harry reid, nancy pelosi, and barack obama more than i trust a hardcore pedophile with small children, but not much more. cap and steal maybe back burnered for now, but count on the democrats in the senate to try and get it passed one way or another before january.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:02 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNort View Post
Who knows how much of the cap and trade issues are hidden in other bills. They seemed to give up on this way to easy.
With all the things that are coming out about some of the previous legislation I really wonder if you aren't right. Some health care things showed up in the stimulus law, etc.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:05 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post

Yeah sure, and when the dems lose massively in the November elections, they will try to ram thru Cap & Trade, because they know their ship has sailed, so what will it matter to them anyway.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:43 PM

202 posts, read 187,339 times
Obama and crew are spinning like tops...lying,bribes, and double standards are their vision for 'change'....

Who here trusts liars...??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies