Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 08:04 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,425,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
first I was talking about payroll INCOME tax

second do you think its ok to give ANYONE a break on paying into SS when SS is UNDERFUNDED....obama is not very smart
So basically the conservative mantra is cut business taxes so they can hire people except when Obama does it then we'll find some loophole where we don't like it.

Got it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 08:27 PM

7,786 posts, read 7,998,800 times
plenty of jobs where i live. problem is UE benifits plus foodstamps and other gov perks like energy bill assistance and school breakfast lunch and afterschool hot snacks pay better. I as a self employed person do the work Americans on gov welfare wont do.I dont qualify fo UE benifits as I'm self employed and cant collect, the longer you collect the less competition and the worse your job history looks.good for me not so good for you.I have friends making more on unemployment than i make working that is wrong but i win as my job doesnt depend on a gov extension of welfare

Old 07-24-2010, 01:45 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,425,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
So basically the conservative mantra is cut business taxes so they can hire people except when Obama does it then we'll find some loophole where we don't like it.

Got it.
lolpwnt.

Old 07-24-2010, 01:56 AM

15,585 posts, read 27,474,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Uhmmm, you really shouldn't post when you don't know what you're talking about. Employers are required to pay a higher rate of social security tax than an employee. It's more than a match.
No. It is a match. Prove they contribute more than a 100% match of what is taken out of an employees check.

"The amount withheld for Social Security from each of your employers is 6.2% of your gross income (up to income of $106,800 for 2009). Your employer pays an additional 6.2% for you that doesn't come out of your check."

http://www.hrblock.com/taxes/tax_tip..._paycheck.html

Old 07-24-2010, 02:22 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,209,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete The Cheat View Post
I know disabled vets that get far less that this group. It's all about the vote, even tho he's sunk anyway.
Please do expound on your statement.
Depending on the percentage of disability they get money.

Veteran Disability Compensation - Military Benefits - Military.com
If you are military veteran with a service-related disability you may qualify for over $3,100 in monthly benefits. These benefits are paid to veterans who have injuries or diseases that happened while on active duty, or were made worse by active military service. It is also paid to certain veterans disabled from VA health care. These benefits are tax-free. The following is a summary of VA Disability Compensation:

I like to research and have information before I make accusations.
YMMV

Old 07-24-2010, 02:32 AM

454 posts, read 481,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmadison2 View Post
But in the end, isn't that all really just part of "compensation", no matter what words you want to label it?

There's a cost to having worker bees, and that's just part of it.

Geez, this reminds me of all the accounting games. I mean really... there's the money coming, the money going out, and what's left, LOL!

From there, ya, you can develop categories to analyze, but in the end it's always:

Income - Costs = What's left!

"Who pays" is subject to all sorts of interpretations. Sure, the business owner writes checks, but the worker bees pay with their lives and so on... it's a big circle.

One that is generally engineered so that a cute tool called "inflation" insures the rich continue to stay on top, LOL!
You make it sound like the business owner does not work, just write the checks. Most business owner including my hubby and me work harder, work 24/7, and we are not the bad guys. We are the ones taking the risks, and paying for ourselves, and no one pay our pension or retirement plan.
Government should make it easier for business to succeed and punish them and make them into the villains.

America use to be the place that you could start with nothing and become something.
Now, it seems that the minute you become the big boss, you become the rich guy who writes the checks therefore we hate you.
The jobless benefit should be paid for by money that was not spent yet, not by money we don't have. Even though the bailout money was not something we had either.

Old 07-24-2010, 02:42 AM

454 posts, read 481,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Please do expound on your statement.
Depending on the percentage of disability they get money.

Veteran Disability Compensation - Military Benefits - Military.com
If you are military veteran with a service-related disability you may qualify for over $3,100 in monthly benefits. These benefits are paid to veterans who have injuries or diseases that happened while on active duty, or were made worse by active military service. It is also paid to certain veterans disabled from VA health care. These benefits are tax-free. The following is a summary of VA Disability Compensation:

I like to research and have information before I make accusations.
YMMV
Let me ask you chielgirl. What can you do with $3,100 in Los Angeles, CA?
average rent is about $1,500- $1,800 for a 2 bedroom apt, for a house it's about 2,200- $2600?

Old 07-24-2010, 03:05 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,209,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conc1 View Post
Let me ask you chielgirl. What can you do with $3,100 in Los Angeles, CA?
average rent is about $1,500- $1,800 for a 2 bedroom apt, for a house it's about 2,200- $2600?
$36k taxfree money a year isn't enough?
Disabled vets can work on top of this. I work with some who have 75% disability and hold down additional jobs. They clear around $100k per year.

That's a $50k+ salary if there were taxes as well.
That's a CA teachers salary. A teacher has to have a minimum of a BA/BS, most have Masters Degrees.
If you can't afford to live on $36k after taxes, you have a problem.

If you can't afford an area, you do have the choice to move.

Last edited by chielgirl; 07-24-2010 at 03:51 AM..

Old 07-24-2010, 03:12 AM

14,561 posts, read 22,984,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete The Cheat View Post
I know disabled vets that get far less that this group.
The treatment vets (not just the disabled) get is a very serious problem in itself, but does that mean we should stop helping another group in the interim? Of course not, and doing so would be a recipe for political gridlock.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:47 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,523,969 times
keeping people who are unemployed from their benefits for 49 days because the GOP filibustered it due to concerns about how to pay for it is immoral and will backfire on the GOP. Where was the GOP's concerns for the tax breaks they gave to the wealthiest Americans that weren't paid for to begin with?It seems the only time Republicans want to become fisical conservatives is when they are not in power!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies