Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2010, 03:46 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I said I have a problem with it not that I wouldn't uphold the constitution.
That said I can only hope that Planned Parenthood/Victorias Secret/NOW/the Anti-Defamation League/PFLAG/and the best damn bbq joint in NYC all move in up and around the mosque. Why? Because it is there constitutionally given right to do so, of course
Haven't ever been to NYC, have you. You should visit there sometime.

All those things are very likely already in the neighborhood, don't you think? Certainly there's more than one barbecue joint around there, lol.

Except that I can't think of a Victoria's Secret downtown. I already posted the link to New York Dolls, a "gentleman's" club one block over. I think that trumps VS in the let's-show-skin-to-the-Muslims department.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
It's not an eye for an eye issue. Why don't we rebuild them? Why make it a memorial? We wouldn't have hesitated after WWII. Why do we hesitate now? If they are going to build a mosque, then I think we should also rebuild the Towers. That way everyone would be happy. Well, except, for the empty real estate space of those afraid to occupy the buildings again.
Speaking for yourself only, I suppose, but that's not "everyone". You did see the news yesterday that Conde Nast just signed to take space in One WTC, didn't you? That makes 85% percent of the available space for leasing committed so far.

Old 08-05-2010, 03:57 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,812,531 times
I wonder why they've picked 9/11/11 to begin construction of the mosque on?
Probably a coincidence, right?

Old 08-05-2010, 04:08 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Haven't ever been to NYC, have you. You should visit there sometime.

All those things are very likely already in the neighborhood, don't you think? Certainly there's more than one barbecue joint around there, lol.

Except that I can't think of a Victoria's Secret downtown. I already posted the link to New York Dolls, a "gentleman's" club one block over. I think that trumps VS in the let's-show-skin-to-the-Muslims department.

True, I haven't been to NYC.
And to clarify, I have no desire to rile up the religious folk (of any kind) except in cases of the extremist loonies (again, of any kind). Much like I enjoy the hecklers who come out whenever the westboro baptist church is on the move I would like to see some gay guys making out in front of a mosque that supports sharia law.

It's the little things in life, you know

Old 08-05-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
Probably a coincidence, right?
Or maybe just a goofy urban legend added to the story to make it sound better, right?

Actually, this is the first time I heard that one. The original fake story regarding a date was that it was going to OPEN on 9/11/11, and that came right out of the dear old New York Post. There are enough morons out there who don't even stop to think how impossible that would be, so I commend you on coming up with this new version, which could be seen as a little more plausible. Still--getting permits, demolishing the existing building, designing and bidding the project--and oh yeah, before that they have to do all that fundraising to get the money to do those things in the first place. And construction's going to begin in 13 months? O---KAY.

Of course, it's even more of a retarded statement when you figure that on 9/11 every year since 2002, lower Manhattan virtually shuts down for the morning while the anniversary observance takes place. Usually the president or VP comes in, as well as other political dignitaries who want to be seen there, plus the families, plus all the honor guards and whatnot from NYPD, PAPD, and FDNY, as well as the tight security that surrounds Lower Manhattan every September 11. I really can't see the city issuing a building permit for work to start on a new building at that particular time, can you? Cops get to be busy with the crowds that show up and what with keeping the 9/11 Truther set a couple of blocks back so they don't scream at the families. The streets being closed and all would make it tough to get construction materials to a building site, anyway. And next year being the TENTH anniversary, you know, the one when they are going to open the National 911 Memorial? Don't think construction's gonna start that day.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
True, I haven't been to NYC.
And to clarify, I have no desire to rile up the religious folk (of any kind) except in cases of the extremist loonies (again, of any kind). Much like I enjoy the hecklers who come out whenever the westboro baptist church is on the move I would like to see some gay guys making out in front of a mosque that supports sharia law.

It's the little things in life, you know
I have no doubt that it is possible that this could happen. If I ever get a chance to have someone pose for such a picture, I'll send it to you.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:19 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
Fascinating.

See, the old lie was that they'd open on 9/11/11. After a bunch of righties obediently repeated that, someone pointed out that 13 months was a completely unrealistic time frame for constructing a building of that size.

Reacting to this changed environment, it appears that the basic untruth has mutated, and the more viable version is that construction will begin on 9/11/11.

A fitter competitor has taken over the niche - it's like watching evolution in action. Admittedly, evolution of a particularly unpleasant organism, like botulism or gangrene - but evolution none the less.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Don't think construction's gonna start that day.
Why not? This shouldn't necessary be trucks, bricks, concert and all that jazz.
This is the official commencement date just on paper.
You'll learn about it right after the opening when you read it on the plaque at the door of the building.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Fascinating.

See, the old lie was that they'd open on 9/11/11. After a bunch of righties obediently repeated that, someone pointed out that 13 months was a completely unrealistic time frame for constructing a building of that size.

Reacting to this changed environment, it appears that the basic untruth has mutated, and the more viable version is that construction will begin on 9/11/11.

A fitter competitor has taken over the niche - it's like watching evolution in action. Admittedly, evolution of a particularly unpleasant organism, like botulism or gangrene - but evolution none the less.
You said it so much prettier than I did.

It IS bizarre to watch this, isn't it? I'm both horrified and fascinated by this whole thing, like watching a bad car wreck.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Fascinating.

Yet the mosque will be finished before the Freedom Tower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies