Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2010, 10:55 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,583,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
First of all, I don't see how a 13-story glass rectangular building constitutes a "huge symbol of Islam". There's nothing Islamic-looking about the structure and it will obviously be dwarfed by the other buildings in the area.
I'm not from New York, so I consider 13 stories pretty big - certainly bigger than any community centers I've seen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Maybe they will change their minds, but in all fairness, they voluntarily went to the residents of the neighborhood first and presented their plan for approval and got it. Perhaps they were naive, but they didn't expect the New York Post to toss out an article about the community board decision complete with false information that would then make the rounds of the Internet and start this mess.

The NY Times just did an article on that aspect of the controversy yesterday.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/11/ny...%20Khan&st=cse
Perhaps. I'm in no position to definitively state their intent, but I can certainly see the sensitivities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 10:55 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You have offered no other proof and have only repeatedly said that you know their motivations because they are muslims and this is how all muslims think, yadda yadda...sorry if I misinterpreted that.
You did and it was/remains your intent to twist my words. Stop with the slanderous personal attacks.

The Imam's own words, not mine, about his wishes for Shariah. Turn a blind eye to the radical Imams in Mosques preaching Shariah in Britain and seeds of violence sewn in those Mosques. Look at the intolerance on the streets of London of radical Muslims to anyone else. Is it so very imposible for it to happen here?

So, again, why if this specific Mosque is supposed to bring the community together is it dividing a nation and why does this Imam continue to insist it be built here, this location, in complete disregard of the feelings of those in opposition?

Answer my question as this is not a 1st Amendment issue. There are hundreds of Mosques in NYC and thousand upon thousand of Muslims worshiping freely in NYC and millions freely worshiping across this nation. Why must this Mosque be built here? Why by this Imam who wishes to further Shariah Law in the USA? Why? Where is the funding coming from?

Old 08-12-2010, 10:59 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The Imam's own words, not mine, about his wishes for Shariah.
Assuming he did (and I don't care if he did or not), it is not illegal to wish for anything in America. For that matter, wishing for one's own religious laws is fundamental to virtually EVERY religion. Don't you wish for Judeo-Christian laws to have a foothold in America? (whatever that non-sense entails).

Old 08-12-2010, 11:01 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I'm not from New York, so I consider 13 stories pretty big - certainly bigger than any community centers I've seen.
Seriously, 13 stories is big in NY? And I'm not even from there.

Besides, what is your issue with how big the building is? Do we expect to tear down every building in the vicinity (you tell me the radius... 2 blocks, 5 blocks, 10 blocks?) that is as tall if not less?

Quote:
Perhaps. I'm in no position to definitively state their intent, but I can certainly see the sensitivities.
Hopefully, from their perspective as well.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:04 AM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
So, again, why if this specific Mosque is supposed to bring the community together is it dividing a nation and why does this Imam continue to insist it be built here, this location, in complete disregard of the feelings of those in opposition?
He mistook the US for a free country? He believd that all the nice words about tolerance might translate into people actually tolerating him in practice, not just theory?

Quote:
Answer my question as this is not a 1st Amendment issue.
But it is. Church OK in the spot? Yes? Then a mosque is OK as well.

Quote:
Why by an Imam who wishes to further Shariah Law in the USA?
He's so extremist, the Bush Government hired him to speak on behalf of US Muslims on a 2006 speaking tour in the Middle East.

Yet, somehow, the right-wing Islamophobes managed to tolerate that.

'Ground Zero Mosque' Imam Was A Bush-Era Partner For Mideast Peace | TPMMuckraker

Old 08-12-2010, 11:08 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,583,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Seriously, 13 stories is big in NY? And I'm not even from there.

Besides, what is your issue with how big the building is? Do we expect to tear down every building in the vicinity (you tell me the radius... 2 blocks, 5 blocks, 10 blocks?) that is as tall if not less?.
Either you didn't read how that came about, or you're attempting to twist what I said - or genuinely didn't understand what I meant. Either way, the size of the building is not the issue, so I'm not going to bother debating what constitutes a large building.

Quote:
Hopefully, from their perspective as well.
Sure, but if their goal is healing and outreach, this does not seem to be the best way to accomplish it.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:08 AM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Assuming he did (and I don't care if he did or not), it is not illegal to wish for anything in America.
From what I've managed to skim from the Amazon peeks of his book on the subject, Rauf's point is that it's perfectly possible for a Muslim to live by US laws and be in compliance with (Rauf's Sufi-style version of) Shariah at the same time. Of course, the Mosqueteers are in no mood to hear that not all Muslims are out to kill and subjugate them, so they've quote-mined the hell out of his works.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:15 AM

57,260 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:
Tolerance is one thing and I am tolerant of all of other faiths. Laying down in appeasement for the promotion of radical Islamic Law in the form of Shariah in the USA is quite another. This site is chosen for no other reason to rub salt in the still fresh wounds of Americans from the attacks of radical jihhadist Muslims on several US sites, killing innocent people of all faiths, on 9/11/2000.
They have been practicing at this mosque since last year and it was public knowledge to the citizens and the community board and it was "tolerated". It was not until politicians up for reelection and 3rd class newspapers made imflammatory remarks that this became an issue. Up to that point the local community and other responsible parties accepted this location.

By the way according to the NY Times article there is presently a mosque 12 blocks away so what is an acceptable radius to be sensitive? 5 blocks, 8 blocks?

Old 08-12-2010, 11:17 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
.....................By the way according to the NY Times article there is presently a mosque 12 blocks away so what is an acceptable radius to be sensitive? 5 blocks, 8 blocks?
That pretty well blows the 1st Amendment arguement. Thank you.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:19 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
That pretty well blows the 1st Amendment arguement. Thank you.
I'm dying to know how you think that it does or do you think the 1st Amendment tolerates religious quotas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies