Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2010, 01:03 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times

Advertisements

Wish I could rep you, psycho-billy cadillac man.

You make so much sense!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 01:24 PM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
For some degrees, obviously true. But for professionals, the degree also carries with it an expectation of commitment to professional standards. (That's what professional used to mean, anyway.)

To go back to my previous example: If a medical student declares that he's only going through the motions, but intends to actually use medieval treatment methods like bloodletting and mercury treatments, should a medical school just shrug, say "none of our beeswax" and let him loose with the initials "M.D." behind his name?
There is NOTHING in any degree that says a person who earns a degree MUST do a career in the field that the degree is in. Many, many people get a law degree but do not practice law. Many, many people get multiple degrees and do not practice in ANY of the fields.

I have friends that have degrees in Medicine and do not practice.

This still a free country. You can earn a degree in any field you choose AND you can get a job in any place you choose.

Old 07-24-2010, 01:31 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
There is NOTHING in any degree that says a person who earns a degree MUST do a career in the field that the degree is in. Many, many people get a law degree but do not practice law. Many, many people get multiple degrees and do not practice in ANY of the fields.

I have friends that have degrees in Medicine and do not practice.

This still a free country. You can earn a degree in any field you choose AND you can get a job in any place you choose.
Its only free if your a christian hating, Obama loving, gay marriage supporting, abortion promoting liberal.

Old 07-24-2010, 01:36 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,852,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Its only free if your a christian hating, Obama loving, gay marriage supporting, abortion promoting liberal.
How are you not free?

Old 07-24-2010, 01:49 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
I know exactly how this crap from liberal freako teachers work. I had a fellow student in a history class that a teacher tried to bounce out through creative grading. She had the BALLS to stand up and disagree to his constant blathering about how bad all the soldiers were who fought in the Vietnam war. Her dad was an Army Colonel who died during the Tet offensive. This idiot teacher had the gall to call her dad and those like him a baby killer. It took a formal complaint to her state Senator to start an investigation into the whole mess. She won and graduated. The liberal freako teacher is still there blathering away.
Like all the conservative freako teachers and professionals. You just have to accept and deal.

Old 07-24-2010, 01:51 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
How are you not free?
I supose he means bound by the shackles of Liberalism...whatever the hell that means.

Old 07-24-2010, 02:03 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,345,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Consider yourself filtered.
I don't have any interest in conversing with the willfully obtuse.

You know- this is something I see all the time these days. If you get into a debate with a liberal the chances are pretty high that they are going to insult you personally and think that has helped them win the debate. The favored tactic is to call the opposition racist. It's also not just me. This happens all the time. Can you moonbats explain this?

Old 07-24-2010, 02:04 PM

387 posts, read 532,979 times
Obama isn't for gay marriage.

Quote:

Old 07-24-2010, 02:06 PM

387 posts, read 532,979 times
I bet there are very large handfuls of conservative counselors in Kentucky, Alabama, Louisiana, and Texas. Sure many of them may be trained to believe that homosexuality is not a mental disorder; however, that doesn't mean they are going to put aside their Christian beliefs. Christianity blatantly forbids homosexuality. It is stated in the bible several times. Any Christian that tells you otherwise is lying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Like all the conservative freako teachers and professionals. You just have to accept and deal.

Old 07-24-2010, 02:20 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoyalTrust View Post
I bet there are very large handfuls of conservative counselors in Kentucky, Alabama, Louisiana, and Texas. Sure many of them may be trained to believe that homosexuality is not a mental disorder; however, that doesn't mean they are going to put aside their Christian beliefs. Christianity blatantly forbids homosexuality. It is stated in the bible several times. Any Christian that tells you otherwise is lying.
If their faith forbids homosexuality that doesn't mean homosexuality is a mental disorder, it means they think homosexuals are sinners who are not right with God. Like every other sin mentioned in the Bible.

It's something they have to come to grips with if they want to council people who may not share their faith. There are some instances that force you to check your religious beliefs at the door unless you specialize in a particular type of work that caters to folks who believe the same as you.

I don't understand why someone would force a square peg into a round hole and not expect some resistance and an improper fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies