Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2010, 11:17 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,255,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
You AND the school are 100% wrong. It is none of the schools business what someone does AFTER they get thier degree.

A ciriculum is established. The student met all the requirements to get that degree.
With this lack of professionalism, she will not earn her credentials.
She has not met her requirements.

Quote:
There is NOTHING in any degree that says a person who earns a degree MUST do a career in the field that the degree is in. Many, many people get a law degree but do not practice law. Many, many people get multiple degrees and do not practice in ANY of the fields.

I have friends that have degrees in Medicine and do not practice.

This still a free country. You can earn a degree in any field you choose AND you can get a job in any place you choose.
You earn a degree.
If she doesn't meet the criteria, she will not earn her degree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
This student came to the faculty attention by writing her beliefs in a class assignment, and voicing them to other students. If any Muslim students in the class had written about their beliefs or voiced them as well, I too would be interested to see if they were subjected to the same remediation plan because they are "squarely against gay relationships" as being not the plan devised by Allah.

The Muslim View Of Homosexuality
You're arguing something not in evidence.
This is not germane to this conversation, is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 11:34 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,005,866 times
chielgirl

You know I love you dearly but...

Quote:
With this lack of professionalism, she will not earn her credentials.
She has not met her requirements.
Judging professionalism is the role of accrediting bodies, like the bar association or in this case the National Board for Certified Counselors.

Quote:
You earn a degree.
If she doesn't meet the criteria, she will not earn her degree.
The criteria is successful completion of the class work. Her professional views are a matter of the accrediting bodies.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:50 AM

5,408 posts, read 7,789,259 times
Quote:
"pushing her beliefs on others". Don't you think that is exactly what the school is doing to her. Believe as we do. We do not accept any other view.
No, I think the school is trying to ensure that all of the students they certify as passing their curriculum to be cousellors will abide by the code of ethics of the professional Counselling Association. She can "believe" anything she wants to.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:53 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,303,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
No, I think the school is trying to ensure that all of the students they certify as passing their curriculum to be cousellors will abide by the code of ethics of the professional Counselling Association. She can "believe" anything she wants to.
Ethics ain't in the Bible.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:03 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,035,777 times
Quote:
"pushing her beliefs on others". Don't you think that is exactly what the school is doing to her. Believe as we do. We do not accept any other view.
What belief is the school pushing on her?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
chielgirl

Judging professionalism is the role of accrediting bodies, like the bar association or in this case the National Board for Certified Counselors.
That's not true. The schools are essentially supposed to weed out the vast majority of the unqualified before it even gets to the accrediting body.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:06 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,504 posts, read 15,074,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
It's got nothing to do with being a a Christian or Muslim. It's about being accredited as a professional. This is Augusta, Georgia - hardly a liberal bastion. If a Muslim or Christian counselor tried to convert kids then that's another matter - but I'd have no problems with my kids seeing a counselor just because he/she was a Muslim.
Compared to San Francisco, Portland, or Austin it's not a liberal bastion, but it's kinda liberal for a mid-size southern city...

Augusta has a 42 year-old very progressive mayor, the most influential mayor in the state of GA in 2010. He was voted #18 on the top 100 most influential georgians, the next highest mayors were Otis Williams of Savannah #45, and Atlanta's mayor Kasim Reed #75.
Georgia Trend

The city of Augusta had a Tea Party and gay parade and festival downtown. Three times as many people attended the gay festival compared to the tea party downtown...

Last edited by nortonguy; 07-25-2010 at 12:29 PM..

Old 07-25-2010, 12:16 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,255,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
chielgirl

The criteria is successful completion of the class work. Her professional views are a matter of the accrediting bodies.
I know you love me dearly, as I you...
For teaching/classwork credentials, one must pass not only classwork, but must be recommended by the school. At least, that's what was required when I got my teaching certification decades ago.

I know of two cases where potential counselors were refused their accreditation for failing their internships in the drug & alcohol counseling field.
One specifically for inserting their stories and beliefs into counseling sessions.

Doesn't classwork include internships where you're observed in the field and graded against certain standards?

Old 07-25-2010, 12:29 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,223,481 times
No school recommendation is required to be 'accrediated" for Counseling.

none

Old 07-25-2010, 12:31 PM

15,755 posts, read 7,576,569 times
Freud and Jung should be eradicated from the college as well. If a person is deemed unacceptable to receive their degree earned, based on personal beliefs, then, that measure should have started with them, all those years ago.

Psychology is not an exact science. It is based on the study if human behavior and theory is based on the conscience and subconscious processed by a person's mind and in the results that are seen.

She should go to the gay pride parade imho, and observe as part of a clinical assignment. This behavior does exist and as a counselor, she will need to consult, those individuals. Exposure to this behavior is not an indoctrination, but a learning so as to understand, so as to be more productive in the person's career choice.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:32 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,303,997 times
I wonder which she would accept on a settlement - All tuition returned, or a diploma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies