Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 09:39 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyanger View Post
Do you folks ever read the articles before commenting on them?

It's not discrimination unless the newest protected group consists of people who won't tell the truth to their childrens' pediatricians about topics that concern the safety of their children.

I am not anti-gun, by the way ... just anti-stupid. (not people on the forum specifically - more just the lady in the article)
Last time I checked, gun ownership was a protected group.. Its in that old worn out document called the Constitution..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 09:50 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,282,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Last time I checked, gun ownership was a protected group.. Its in that old worn out document called the Constitution..
That's not why the woman was refused service. It was because she didn't want to answer a safety question. You know that kids are curious, and many gun owners put their guns in "safe" places - up on top of a piece of furniture, hidden in a drawer, under their mattress. Many others put them in gun safes. If this woman had said, "Yes, but they are kept under lock & key so the girls can't get them", the doctor would have gone on.

I went to a new doctor last week, and he asked if we had any guns in the house. At the moment, we don't, and I told him we don't. But we have had, and if we did, I would tell him.

Constitutionality does not enter into this discussion. No one says people with children should give up their guns, only keep them out of their kids' potential reach.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:51 AM

5,513 posts, read 5,239,859 times
She desperately NEEDS a new pediatrician if the one she has is so obsessive that the Dr. seeks to micro-manage the patient's home. I doubt the patient would have been discharged if she refused to answer the question about a pool. This doctor is covering up an anti-gun agenda.

I suppose the doctor can well afford an expensive alarm system, and even private security guards, to protect his/her home and family. I guess poor families apparently shouldn't be allowed the means to defend themselves or their families when they live in "rough" areas.

There are many ways a gun can be protected from children, including inexpensive trigger locks, small gun safes the only open when a certain code is entered (designed to be done in the dark), etc.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:54 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
They didn't want these people as patients because the parents were evasive and dishonest. Do you have any idea what kind of problems that can cause? How dangerous that can be? I'm a gun owner and supporter of gun rights, but I face lying, deceiving patients every day who seem to lie just for the sake of lying...they put everyone's safety in jeopardy.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:58 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
That's not why the woman was refused service. It was because she didn't want to answer a safety question. You know that kids are curious, and many gun owners put their guns in "safe" places - up on top of a piece of furniture, hidden in a drawer, under their mattress. Many others put them in gun safes. If this woman had said, "Yes, but they are kept under lock & key so the girls can't get them", the doctor would have gone on.

I went to a new doctor last week, and he asked if we had any guns in the house. At the moment, we don't, and I told him we don't. But we have had, and if we did, I would tell him.

Constitutionality does not enter into this discussion. No one says people with children should give up their guns, only keep them out of their kids' potential reach.
What does that mean - that he doesn't know how to treat gunshot victims? I don't understand why a doctor would care unless it involved his payment.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:00 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,470,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Gun ownership is not the subject, although that stupid couple is trying to make it appear that way. If gun ownership is a protected group, which of this stupid lady's civil rights were violated? There is no consitutional right to lie by omission to a physician.

The doctor finished treating her child. He gave her thirty days to find a new physician. How does that harm her children, or 'make them suffer' or cause their civil rights to be violated?

The thread title is misleading. The doctor did not refuse service because the couple purportedly owned a gun. He refused to remain their pediatrician because the mother chose not to cooperate in the overall examination of her child's well-being.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
What does that mean - that he doesn't know how to treat gunshot victims? I don't understand why a doctor would care unless it involved his payment.
Because part of a pediatrician's job is to understand and ensure a safe environment for the children and support their overall well-being.

Your question is like asking why your internist asked you if you smoke or not.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:04 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,282,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
A pediatrician wouldn't be treating gunshot wounds in an office setting. Any parent who didn't call 911 and get their child to an emergency room in that situation likely won't be a parent long.

Most gun injuries & deaths happen in the home, and people are injured with their own guns. It's a safety issue, and part of a "wholistic" approach to care. Doctors also ask about what children eat on a regular basis, to ensure they are getting proper nutrition - should you say "it's none of your business what I feed my kids"?

And, really, as others have said, it comes down to the doctor-patient relationship. If you can't be honest with your doctor about a potential hazard (not saying these people are irresponsible with their guns - who can tell? They won't.), then you don't trust the doctor. And if you are willing to lie or omit information from your doctor, the doctor cannot trust you.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:06 AM

The doc probably got a sense from these people that they were going to be troublemakers...and voila...they were.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:07 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,134,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I am an avid gun supporter and a lifetme NRA member.

However, we refuse to see patients all the time. I review the records of any new patients and probably turn down over half of them for a variety of reasons (usually it is a history of drug abuse).

You can refuse any patient you want in an office setting. If on call, you cannot refuse emergency care at the hospital to anyone. It is not illegal at all and is quite common.
I'm curious, how do you determine a history of drug abuse? It wouldn't rest on one's condition would it? Another words if it's a chonic disease of severe pain would you assume there must be drug abuse?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies