Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 12:40 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Might have already been asked but....

If you lived in a foreign country,would you fly the US flag there?
Would you display it on your vehicle?
I wouldn't. I don't even fly my Puerto Rican flag outside, I have it hanging inside my house despite it being a domestic flag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
And they're told specifically not to identify themselves as Americans by their dress.
It's bad enough that they have loud voices and don't speak local languages (or even try) yet they insist on wearing clearly identifying clothing.
Talk about lack of security measures.
Idiots.
Actually according to a study, Americans are likely to learn foreign phrases and attempt to speak a local language more than Germans and British.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 12:55 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,494 times
I always try to think from another person's perspective. So, I asked myself, "If I moved to Japan, Uruguay or Italy," would I fly my US flag outside my home or proudly display it on other property of mine? The answer is that I wouldn't even be motivated to do that in another country. I mean, I'm in another country, what catalyst would have to happen for me to say, "Gee, I want to put up the flag of my homeland and wave it proudly." If I am making a living in another country and staying there, I am appreciative of their country for giving me that right. Would I remember where I come from and have a flag or some patriotic US reminder in my home or something like that? Sure. But, I think some people wave their homeland's flag out of disrespectful pride.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:58 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,868,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
I always try to think from another person's perspective. So, I asked myself, "If I moved to Japan, Uruguay or Italy," would I fly my US flag outside my home or proudly display it on other property of mine? The answer is that I wouldn't even be motivated to do that in another country. I mean, I'm in another country, what catalyst would have to happen for me to say, "Gee, I want to put up the flag of my homeland and wave it proudly." If I am making a living in another country and staying there, I am appreciative of their country for giving me that right. Would I remember where I come from and have a flag or some patriotic US reminder in my home or something like that? Sure. But, I think some people wave their homeland's flag out of disrespectful pride.
Yep....

Old 07-25-2010, 01:05 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,301,832 times
The difference between America and every other country is that we have the distinction of being the melting pot country, where freedom of everything is allowed, unlike most of the other countries. It would be hypocritical to not allow outsiders to do what they want once they get here.

Old 07-25-2010, 01:16 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,799 times
Where I grew up there were Swedish/Norwegian flags in yards and on city properties all over the county. It's not a big deal...

Old 07-25-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramell View Post
What about people of European decent hanging Italian, Irish, French, and German flags on their homes? What about Italian owned restaurants were the owners and workers speak Italian? No one ever bats an eye at that. But if it is a Mexican flag people get all up in arms about it. I wonder why?
I believe that it has to do with the climate and attitudes surrounding Mexican immigrants in the US. I know Mexicans who live here that are very arrogant about the fact that they are here and that they are Mexican in the US. They do the whole "We're taking over thing." They are people that I know, so I'm not offended or anything, but knowing them gives me that insight. The Italian-Americans, Irish-Americans are usually VERY proud of the fact that they are Americans and aware of the fact that they are American, they fly their descendants flag because they are proud of their ancestry, it's not a "national" thing like Mexicans. Mexicans come off as having loyalty to the country of Mexico, not just the ancestry of Mexico. That is a problem because they don't have an allegiance to the USA.

Old 07-25-2010, 01:20 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
The real issue is what is inside of a person to make them react negatively to seeing a flag from another country?

Old 07-25-2010, 01:31 PM

46,948 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
But you should also acknowledge that by coming to the United States, you've adopted a new homeland.
Actually, I haven't. I'm very happy to live here and I abide by the laws and pay my taxes and do my bit, but I am an expatriate. (I'm on my third country of residence, it changes one's perspective a bit. More people should try it.)

Quote:
If you have to display the flag from the country of your birth, do it inside your house. Otherwise, don't start wringing your hands and claiming to be a victim when Americans object.
It's my property. And as long as my country's soldiers are coming home from Afghanistan in boxes covered in that very flag, I'm in no mood to listen to objections.

Old 07-25-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
The real issue is what is inside of a person to make them react negatively to seeing a flag from another country?
I don't know what is "reacting negatively" in this case. I can't say that wondering why someone would want to fly another country's flag while living in different country is reacting negatively. Are you insinuating that anyone who wonders of those motives is xenophobic or something? If I walked out onto my street and saw another flag being flown on a house, I would have to wonder, "Geez, where is the USA flag? Do they not appreciate the fact that they are here in this country?" "Are they from that country? Or is this an act of novelty on their part?" People fly flags for different reasons, so people wonder. Also, doesn't it make you wonder how a person can show appreciation for another country, but not wave the flag of the country that they are priviledged to be living and possibly working in?

Old 07-25-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Actually, I haven't. I'm very happy to live here and I abide by the laws and pay my taxes and do my bit, but I am an expatriate. (I'm on my third country of residence, it changes one's perspective a bit. More people should try it.)

It's my property. And as long as my country's soldiers are coming home from Afghanistan in boxes covered in that very flag, I'm in no mood to listen to objections.
Huh? You're not going to wave the US flag because US soldiers are coming home from war in coffins covered with US flags? That's your reason for not flaying the flag?

And did you just say that "more people should try being an expatriot and live in different places?" You sound like one of those people that thinks everyone has to act the way you think they should act. That because you've lived in different places everyone else should. "More people should try it," lol, what the heck? So if people live in different countries like you, they will be more holier like you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies