Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 01:38 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,637,852 times

Advertisements

There are laws governing the display of the American flag, and there are laws in regards to how other nation's flags are displayed on American soil, but people simply hanging up a flag in their window is perfectly fine by me.

Foreigners can display their home country's flags here. It's done for official purposes, and can be done by private citizens too. It's called the Flag Code.

Quote:
§7. Position and manner of display

(g) When flags of two or more nations are displayed, they are to be flown from separate staffs of the same height. The flags should be of approximately equal size. International usage forbids the display of the flag of one nation above that of another nation in time of peace.
And, yes our Flag Code applies to everybody on American soil, regardless of their nationality or loyalty; the most fervent of immigrants included.

http://a.imageshack.us/img3/9264/naav160ung2009010718325.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 01:46 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,411,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post

Huh? You're not going to wave the US flag because US soldiers are coming home from war in coffins covered with US flags? That's your reason for not flaying the flag?
That's not even remotely what he said. HIS country's soldiers are coming home to THEIR country (Denmark) from OUR war in Afghanistan, in boxes draped with THEIR flag. He's perfectly entitled to take PRIDE in that, and show that pride by displaying the Danish flag on his home in the United States if he damn well pleases.

I'll let him deal with the rest of your absurd assumptions.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:00 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,436,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
We weren't stolen, we were handed over. Big difference. And we were never a country. We were a colony of Spain since 1492 till 1898. The US has given us more opportunity and more rights and a right to self-determination than Spain has ever given us in 400 years. We CHOSE to remain part of the US in the last several plebiscites so you can't hardly call that oppression.
OK, it's not oppression. It's knowing on which side your bread is buttered, and I can respect that. Feel better?

The OP was whining about seeing Puerto Rican flags. Do you suppose he would've been complaining the same way about seeing the flag of Delaware or Texas or the Confederacy? I doubt it.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:03 PM

46,823 posts, read 25,743,836 times
Quote:
Huh? You're not going to wave the US flag because US soldiers are coming home from war in coffins covered with US flags? That's your reason for not flaying the flag?
Danish soldiers are getting killed in Afghanistan, coming home in coffins wrapped in the Danish flag. (You're welcome, by the way.) I'd have hoped that fact would shut up those who object to the Danish flag in front of our house. And we do fly the US flag as well.

Quote:
And did you just say that "more people should try being an expatriot and live in different places?"
Expatriate. One can easily be an expatriate and a patriot at the same time.

Quote:
You sound like one of those people that thinks everyone has to act the way you think they should act. That because you've lived in different places everyone else should. "More people should try it," lol, what the heck? So if people live in different countries like you, they will be more holier like you?
<shrug> It was more of a "it's fun, enlightening and tends to broaden one's horizons" sense. Yes, I think more people should try leaving their comfort zone every once in a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
There are laws governing the display of the American flag, and there are laws in regards to how other nation's flags are displayed on American soil, but people simply hanging up a flag in their window is perfectly fine by me.
The Flag Code does not have the power of law. It's a guideline. But its suggestions do show common sense and good etiquette.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
The difference between America and every other country is that we have the distinction of being the melting pot country, where freedom of everything is allowed, unlike most of the other countries.
Where do you get the idea that "most" other countries are un-free? Do you have any supporting evidence for this claim? How many times have you set foot out of the United States?

Old 07-25-2010, 02:13 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,292,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
That's not even remotely what he said. HIS country's soldiers are coming home to THEIR country (Denmark) from OUR war in Afghanistan, in boxes draped with THEIR flag. He's perfectly entitled to take PRIDE in that, and show that pride by displaying the Danish flag on his home in the United States if he damn well pleases.

I'll let him deal with the rest of your absurd assumptions.
That's what I was wondering, if he was saying the US was the country in which he is from.

How was I supposed to know he was from Denmark, that is WHY I was asking.

What do you mean "let him deal with the rest of my absurd assumptions." LOL Am I supposed to be online-internet-afraid or something? Haha.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:14 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,292,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Danish soldiers are getting killed in Afghanistan, coming home in coffins wrapped in the Danish flag. (You're welcome, by the way.) I'd have hoped that fact would shut up those who object to the Danish flag in front of our house. And we do fly the US flag as well.

Expatriate. One can easily be an expatriate and a patriot at the same time.

<shrug> It was more of a "it's fun, enlightening and tends to broaden one's horizons" sense. Yes, I think more people should try leaving their comfort zone every once in a while.

The Flag Code does not have the power of law. It's a guideline. But its suggestions do show common sense and good etiquette.
I'm welcome? WTF? LOL Why would I thank you for Danish people being killed in Afghanistan? Who is to say I support or believe in what is going on in Afghanistan. You're cracking me up.

Also, telling other people that they SHOULD live in other countries just to "leave their comfort zone" is a little bold, don't you think? You want people to move to another country just because you think that is how they "leave their comfort zone?"

Old 07-25-2010, 02:18 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,411,503 times
Quote:

That's what I was wondering, if he was saying the US was the country in which he is from.

How was I supposed to know he was from Denmark, that is WHY I was asking.
Uhm, you might try looking at his USER NAME -- Dane in LA.
Quote:

What do you mean "let him deal with the rest of my absurd assumptions." LOL Am I supposed to be online-internet-afraid or something? Haha.
I mean exactly what I said; I'll let him deal with the last part of your post, particularly since it was addressed to him and his beliefs, which I am not at liberty to decipher on his behalf, in spite of the fact that he's my husband. But if you want to be scared, that's completely your business. As some of us keep reminding you in this thread -- it is a free country, after all.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones95 View Post
Excuse me but when the U.S were given those territories in war the population of the entire area was only 50,000 - the majority of those were Spanish Whites.
I don't care if it was 50--and I doubt you are including American Indians in your figure of 50,000. Either way, the war was typical American bloodthirsty aggression, sold by way of blatant and transparent lies to the American public.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:23 PM

46,823 posts, read 25,743,836 times
Quote:
I'm welcome? WTF? LOL Why would I thank you for Danish people being killed in Afghanistan? Who is to say I support or believe in what is going on in Afghanistan. You're cracking me up.
Your country asked for help. My country offered said help. If anyone's going to get on a high horse about what is, in the end, national symbols, I think that should be part of the equation.

Quote:
Also, telling other people that they SHOULD live in other countries just to "leave their comfort zone" is a little bold, don't you think? You want people to move to another country just because you think that is how they "leave their comfort zone?"
Consider it a friendly encouragement - like "More people should try this great new microbrew". I think a lot of people are letting a great experience pass them by, is all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies