Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2010, 04:38 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,326,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT 3000 View Post
Am I the only one who gets sick of people moving here from other countrys and waving their home flags in our face and we aren't susposed to say anything about it, I can say that if the hispanic population would stop acting like they are still in Mexico and start taking pride in where they are at and wave an American flag or two more people would think that they actually wanted to be a citizen of this country and maybe try and help them become one, The same goes for Puerto Ricans waving their flags from Puerto Rico, which is a U.S. territory, not a country, if you've ever been to Miami then you'll know what i'm talking about, I'm not prejudice or anything and have no problem with any race, but when you come to America you show her some respect, it seems like talking about your old girlfriend to your new girlfriend all the time and after a while she gets tried of it, When in America act like you're in America, we don't care what country you came from as long as you are productive and helpful in this country and not a criminal.
You need to be desensitized - fast!! Move to Miami for a year or so. It will either kill you or cure you....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 04:40 PM

18,349 posts, read 18,966,033 times
the OP needs to get over it. in the USA we can fly what ever flag we want!

Old 07-25-2010, 04:58 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,298,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Don't have to; no.
But it tends to cut down on it.
Many CD posters should try it.

Europeans are European heritage.
You said Mexicans are arrogant; and that European "heritage" are not, they're just proud.
Read your own words.
So, people with European heritage do it right and people with Mexican heritage do not.
Do I have it right now?

You're disagreeing about what I see US military members do: Exhibiting their flag on foreign soil?
Are you saying that they don't?
Spend much time overseas in a military community?
Or is it that you disagree with my comments so you're going to deny that it occurs?
Can you clarify for me?
No, I did not say that. I won't repeat again what I said, just keep believing that I said that. As far as US military flying their flags in foreign countries, if it is on base then that is obvious, but I think the same needs to apply to people from the US living in other countries. Like I said in my very first post, I wouldn't fly a US flag while living and working in another country. I just don't see me having that desire.

I never even touched your question about US military, so it's funny that you are already accusing me of "denying" something. Basically, you didn't even ask me a question before you started accusing me of things. LOL Haha.

Old 07-25-2010, 05:25 PM

1,230 posts, read 1,037,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
The real issue is what is inside of a person to make them react negatively to seeing a flag from another country?

Exactly! Or, perhaps it is also what is lacking within. One must feel very unsure about oneself if the sight of a piece of colorful cloth waving in a lovely breeze ruins one's day if it is not the cloth of his/her "identity".

Old 07-25-2010, 05:36 PM

25,024 posts, read 27,874,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DifferentDrum View Post
Exactly! Or, perhaps it is also what is lacking within. One must feel very unsure about oneself if the sight of a piece of colorful cloth waving in a lovely breeze ruins one's day if it is not the cloth of his/her "identity".
Is it ok to put the Mexican flag above the US flag in the US?

Old 07-25-2010, 05:38 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,239,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible
So you have to LIVE overseas to make sure you aren't xenophobic?

LOL I listen to you all because everyone here is entitled to their opinion,but I definitely do not agree or see how you can say some of those things.

By the way, when did I say "Europeans" had the right attitude? I am pretty sure I said, "Italian-Americans," "Irish-Americans," etc. We were talking about "Americans" who are proud of their Italian, Irish, etc. ancestry.
The only things I talked about in my post were US military flying flags and your disgust at Mexican-Americans yet understanding and appreciation of European-Americans and their flags.

What else could you have been talking about in your bolded words?

Old 07-25-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Is it ok to put the Mexican flag above the US flag in the US?
in america you can fly "the" flag, "a" flag anyway you want. not adhering to proper flag protocol is something else.
is it against the law to fly another flag above the stars and stripes or just rude?

Old 07-25-2010, 05:47 PM

25,024 posts, read 27,874,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
in america you can fly "the" flag, "a" flag anyway you want. not adhering to proper flag protocol is something else.
is it against the law to fly another flag above the stars and stripes or just rude?
United States Code Section 7, Title Four:
(c) No other flag or pennant should be placed above or, if on the same level, to the right of the flag of the United States of America, except during church services conducted by naval chaplains at sea, when the church pennant may be flown above the flag during church services for the personnel of the Navy. No person shall display the flag of the United Nations or any other national or international flag equal, above, or in a position of superior prominence or honor to, or in place of, the flag of the United States at any place within the United States or any Territory or possession thereof: Provided, That nothing in this section shall make unlawful the continuance of the practice heretofore followed of displaying the flag of the United Nations in a position of superior prominence or honor, and other national flags in positions of equal prominence or honor, with that of the flag of the United States at the headquarters of the United Nations.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
United States Code Section 7, Title Four:
(c) No other flag or pennant should be placed above or, if on the same level, to the right of the flag of the United States of America, except during church services conducted by naval chaplains at sea, when the church pennant may be flown above the flag during church services for the personnel of the Navy. No person shall display the flag of the United Nations or any other national or international flag equal, above, or in a position of superior prominence or honor to, or in place of, the flag of the United States at any place within the United States or any Territory or possession thereof: Provided, That nothing in this section shall make unlawful the continuance of the practice heretofore followed of displaying the flag of the United Nations in a position of superior prominence or honor, and other national flags in positions of equal prominence or honor, with that of the flag of the United States at the headquarters of the United Nations.
are you seeing other flags flown above the stars and stripes?
I do know the protocol. did not know if it was an arrestable offense or not. would all foreigners know it unless this is the protocol for all flags of all the countries.
my guess is most flag wavers do so with a small hand held flag, or window decal.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:08 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,424,958 times
There is nothing wrong in and of itself with flying the flag of another country, if that is where your heritage is. You can fly that flag and also the American flag, and you can still be a perfectly loyal and upstanding American citizen. I happen to be one such American.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 07-30-2010 at 03:23 AM.. Reason: Please discuss the topic, not each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies